Link to car seat recalls and expiration dates (by manfuacturer)

kristenbelle

Does such a thread/site/link exist? I'm off to work at a HUGE spring consignment sale in a few weeks and I'll be one of the checkers - to see if items are up to scratch to be allowed in the sale. I've filled this role before and the instructions for carseats are woefully inadequate, IMO. I'd like to be able to bring photocopied pages for each check-in station that lists the expiration seats for a wide variety of carseats (example - 6 years past manufacture date or December of the year 6 years past manufacture date and so-on) plus all the carseats in the past 10 (?) years that have been recalled, so that expired seats and recalled seats are not accepted for the sale. I know for a fact that the organizers do not personally check carseats after they have been "accepted" by the checkers. There are literally almost 100 carseats for sale each season at this sale, and the implications of it make me quake in my boots, mainly because folks aren't informed (the checkers or the buyers) and there are very likely seats that are unsafe being sold.

Any suggestions of where to come up with this info? Thanks!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Safety Belt Safe USA has a comprehensive recall list but it's not printable unless you purchase a subscription. Details at http://carseat.org/Recalls/recall.shtml and you can view a .pdf file (but not print it unless you subscribe) of the recall list at http://carseat.org/Recalls/179NP.pdf If you bring a laptop along, you could save the .pdf file and view it directly on the laptop at the sale, or purchase a password to allow you to print it out. :twocents:

There are a few threads here about expiration if you do a search, but not necessarily a "master" thread including every and all seat manufacturers. You could probably gather expiration info. from the online FAQs at most carseat manufacturer's respective websites or ask about specific ones here to prepare yourself. :)

Pixels

Seats should have "Do not use after xxxx" stamped into the plastic, or on one of the labels. If it's missing labels, it shouldn't be used.

Jeanum

Staff member
Good point about labeling. To delve into that a bit further, not all seats are stamped with an expiration date, but labels should at least be present with the seat's date of manufacture and model number. If no identifying labeling and DOM info. is on the seat at all, then that's a complete red flag for discarding it. I've come across seats at seat check events totally devoid of any labeling whatsoever, making identifying the seat, checking it for recalls, and expiration completely impossible. Fortunately these were seat check events where new replacement seats were available at reduced or no cost so we could easily replace the questionably labeled or unlabeled seats.

Jeanum

Staff member
In terms of used carseats overall, there's also the issue of the carseat's history being unknown unless you have a way to screen the carseat with the donor/seller directly to find out if it was ever in a crash, if the straps were ever machine washed and dried instead of spot cleaned and air dried, etc. There's a used seat checklist to go through questions of that sort at http://cpsafety.com/articles/usedseat.aspx, but the consignment sale/sale organizers could be in a pickle liability wise if the carseat's history can't be thoroughly vetted with the donor/previous owners, and then it's necessary to take them at their word. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC