Parents Magazine

kmcenery

the April 09 issue has a pretty good write up about car seat. It could have used moving a child out of a harness to soon but all the info seems to be great.

I dont have time now but tonight if its ok I can type it up tonight and post it here. Im not sure if thats ok or not.

ADS

Simplysomething

It seems like they've been hanging out here, because it hits some c-s.org advice "greatest hits":

• making sure your car allows usage of the center, for lower tether usage.
  • talks about not using thick coats, or extra padding
  • the "least protected child in the most protected spot" thing.
  • forward facing "at about age 2". But says that's when they've outgrown the infant seat.
  • not using both seat belt and lower anchors to install
  • using the top tether for forward facing
It is organized oddly, I think, starts with rear-facing, then forward facing, then booster...THEN combo seat.

Even with any of it's problems, it does better than many other articles I've seen on car-seats and child passenger safety.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In fact, someone from Parents contacted me a few months ago in reference to an article to be run around now. They never got back to me. Did they copy anything verbatim from here?

BW1426

I was going to post this and got side tracked. I thought they did a very nice job. I feel like we don't get to say that very often :thumbsup:

ctbcleveland

I found the article to be perfectly on-point - but they had the darn Sonic ad (posted in another post this weekend) on the page following the carseat article with three kids who clearly ought to be in boosters - one of which has no lapbelt on.

serabi

I found the article to be perfectly on-point - but they had the darn Sonic ad (posted in another post this weekend) on the page following the carseat article with three kids who clearly ought to be in boosters - one of which has no lapbelt on.

I noticed that too! :rolleyes:

I do wish they'd talked about harnessing past 40lbs but that was honestly my only quibble.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Nah, no worries. If they did use Car-Seat.Org, Car-Safety.Org or Seatcheck.net as part of their research, it was very unprofessional not to mention us.

fyrfightermomma

I noticed that too! :rolleyes:

I do wish they'd talked about harnessing past 40lbs but that was honestly my only quibble.

Yeah, the only thing they mentioned is in the combo seat section they said "some harnesses can go to 65 or 80 lbs" but that was the only mention. After their "head is to the top of the toddler seat" they can go in a booster. Hmmmmmm

mum2two

I guess I had issues with 'at 40 lbs time for a booster', that's quite a blanket statement and then they really didn't differentiate between backless and high back boosters, they made them seem pretty much the same thing and didn't explain how a high back booster can provide much more protection, especially in that child (often 3 and 4 year olds who reach the magic 40 lb mark).

Melizerd

It was better then most articles. I give them credit for doing SOMETHING more than the usually crappy article. Now we can work on them for an EH article too. One step at a time.

What Marathon cover was that? It was a cute couture one.

mum2two

My question is, if you're researching an article for work (or researching anything for a job) you can do a better job, there are plenty of places out there to find out about all types of car seats/booster and they should have contacted folks here or other car seat specific sites. If I did my job that poorly (ex. only getting about 60% of the info accurate and complete) I'd probably lose my job.

My other issue is that so many parents see Parents Magazine (and the Today show and their Pediatrician) as THE authority on all things related to children and so I really feel it's their job to do a complete job, at least they are finally getting the ERF word out, it's only been about 3 years!!!

Simplysomething

Yeah, that is pretty sad, considering that CR isn't even remotely considered an authority on the topic.

It is by parents, of course. A mention of c-s.org would have been nice, because I do think they definitely got some of their information from here.

Aw well, like I said before, it was way better than most other car-seat articles.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'd much rather have seen advice from Safety Belt Safe or Safe Ride News than Consumer Reports. Oh well, as long as the advice was good, it's not worth the time spent complaining lol.

Evolily

Outside of the bit about a kid outgrowing an infant seat around 2 y/o (um...) and the part about boostering at 40 lbs, it was decent. I wish they would have touched on car seats expiring, though.

emandbri

I thought it as very well done. I agree with Darren though that saying kids outgrow an infant seat at 2 is really strange. :confused:

I wish it said something about not putting a child in a booster until at least 4, I don't like hearing about 3 year olds in boosters, and HATE hearing about 1 and 2 year olds in them!

Kat_Momof3

I reread that part about age 2 and I think they meant to include rearfacing convertible seats, because it says that, at that time, you would "buy a forward facing seat (or turn your convertible seat around)"

you could email them if you want to see a correction made... but I don't think it's worth it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC