what to buy, neutral or girly?

romanoma

So as we are preparing to buy new seats for our DD, there are so many adorable girly covers to choose from!! But here's my question...Is it really practical to get a girly seat? Our oldest is a boy, and now that they are both RF (yeah!) I think it makes sense if they can sort of share seats depending on who has longer legs, etc... Plus, we hope to have more children one day, and what if she is our only girl? Right now, she is so young, I would totally be buying the girly seat for me :eek:, not so much for her. So what do you think? How many of you buy girly seats?

Here's my thinking:
I am just so practical, it's hard for me to get a girly seat, but then I see all your pics of girly seats and I :love: them! Do some of you ever put a boy in a girly seat b/c it's what you have and it fits them? (I'm also too cheap to justify different covers when they usually run $70-90 :eek:. So far, we have never soiled a cover so much that it needs to be removed and washed immediately). If many of you say "just buy extra covers" I will probably just skip the girly seat. It's so hard to justify the purchase (since it's just b/c I :love: girly seats) if it necessitates extra covers!!

Thanks for reading my long, rambling, rather unimportant post :)

ADS

dkdean

We had a GN BLVD (classic) for our first, a boy. A friend had a girly BVLD and then had a boy. So, we swapped covers :) I got the girly seat cover I wanted for DD, my friend got to put her son in a 'classic' cover. We are both happy!!! We hadn't planned on switching when we originally bought our seats, but it worked out well for both of us. I also couldn't justify $70 on a new cover, but wanted DD to get a *new* cover. Win, win!! We each paid priority shipping, so for $7, we each have what we like.

Just thoght I'd toss that out there for another option!!

NannyMom

You don't have to pay $70-90 for covers. Buy on Ebay (from reputable sellers... not someone that also sells expired seats). Or buy on swap here. I know Britax has a select few covers for $40. So you could buy the seat with 1 gender cover, and buy the less expensive extra.

WHen I started, all Sofi's seats were neutral (black/silver SS1, Black Titans, grey comfortsport, blue Scenera....). I only buy a girly seat if I intend to buy extra covers if I have a boy. Sofi is my first baby, and I would like more children. I lucked out that my boss had a girl, so they can share however I want :) But.... only DD"s mains eat (my car) has a pretty girly cover. All the toehrs are neutral.

If I were you, I'd probobly buy neutral. If you decide later you want to buy a reasonably priced extra cover, you can go girlie :)

ed_tricia

I bought a neutral infant seat, a girly convertible seat, and a neutral combination. The convertible I had intended to use w/ a future kid, and if I had a boy I would try to get a new cover. DH thought using our girly one would be fine w/ a boy-it was denim with a yellow section with bright flowers. I decided I don't want to keep that seat but not b/c of the girly print, so now it doesn't matter. Something I had thought about w/ her neutral nautilus was if they come out with a patterned cover, I could keep the seat cover I have and order replacement accessories in the cute girly color (I think this is okay and not considered after market if it's the same exact seat), so it would be around $20 instead of $60. Would that be an option for the seats you use? Much easier to switch out, too. I wish they would come out with more bright solids in seats so it's not gray or brown for neutral or pink for a girl, and in prints you get trucks or flowers.

sb518

My nephew rides in a girly seat. I have three nieces and then him so I have a lot of girly seats! He's safe, and doesn't mind so it works out. Plus.. you know if you buy a neutral cover your next baby will be a girl. :ROTFLMAO:

Go for the girly, if not for the kids just for yourself. The kids have everything else they want, get something YOU want to look at this time.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd get her Girly for her primary seat and neutral for everything else.

If she outgrows her girly seat you can always swap covers if you need a boy seat for another child :)

ktshea

We didn't find out what our first was when I was pregnant so everything was gender-neutral at first. She was a girl. Then we had #2 and she was ALSO a girl. So I could have girly'd up everything and been fine. I felt repressed. ;) But then I couldn't buy #2 a girly car seat b/c #1 would have wanted one too.

I actually ended up buying a girly seat for #2 and then buying a girly cover off ebay for #1. So I have a spare cover that's gender-neutral (the girls got rotovirus once when we traveled so I never leave for a long trip without an extra cover!). That said, even if we didn't have that cover I'd still buy girly ones. You're saving tons of money by reusing the seat, so that offsets the price of a cover by quite a bit. There are often covers on Ebay and on here. I think I paid $35 for mine. Not too bad of a "fee" if we have a boy next.

My girls (4 and 2) love their fancy girly Marathons. They sometimes decide to switch seats so they can switch patterns (of course, this means I have to switch harness slots, but it makes them happy). It's hilarious to hear them get into a conversation in the backseat about, "Hey, do you want to switch car seats? I'll get pink dragonflies and you can have yellow flowers." I honestly think they'd be disappointed if I bought them non-girly seats for their next seats.

Sooo... it may be a tad more practical to buy gender neutral seats. But the girly ones are really fun (for the kiddos too!). And I'll take my fun anywhere I can get it. Wish I would have done it to begin with!

ginny4

i never was the one to go gender specific kept it all gender neutral. thought i was ricidiculous to spend all that money on justa cover.......well......i couldn't take it. & i HAD NO IDEA what on earth i could get my 2 younger children for christmas that was special. they literally needed NOTHING (except for food in their bellies) & "I" DO NOT buy toys EVER. toys are for grandparents, aunts, uncles &,....to buy. so i got my 2 younger kids "fun" covers for their seats. my DD got a madison regent cover & my son got a cowmoo (tho that is gender neutral anyway) but i love it! they were THRILLED & they get to see it & use it more than their toys they got. infact they lost, broke or just don't play with 1/2 the stuff they got for christmas but when they get in the car they talk about their seat covers. later when my son will need the regent i will put the original cover back on (onyx) & sell the 2 covers i bought - it'll help lower the overall price of the covers. plus i have extras JUST IN CASE. you just never know when you might need that extra cover.

sorry such a long story. i'd say go neutral for now & then look for a good used condition or even new girly one to satisfy that hunger or vice versa & buy girly & look for a gender neutral or boy cover for later.

Pixels

We bought DD's bucket long before we knew she was a girl (for DNe coming to visit, since I was preggo anyway). It's neutral, of course.

Got a ComfortSport free from the health insurance company when we added DD to the policy. It's neutral, of course.

Got a Radian65. It's neutral, of course. It matches the interior of my car.

We will be getting a RadianXT for DH's car when DD outgrows the bucket. He would never have a girly seat in his car. At least not at this point. If she was older, and asked for it, he'd probably change his mind. Anyway, at this point we'll be getting a neutral one that matches the interior of his car fairly well.

We plan to have another child, so I've bought mostly neutral stuff (for crib bedding, etc, too) so that it can be passed down. There is plenty of stuff that people have bought that is uber girly, so it's not like she doesn't have anything girly. Besides, at this age she doesn't care, and I don't really either.

Misty-Bug

If it wasn't my last child I would go neutral and then buy a cover from someone here or something. I don't normally switch seats though. Now if it was my last child and it was a girl I would totally do it. lol

christineka

If your dd is a little one who doesn't care, I'd probably go neutral. Or maybe it depends on the seat. If it is a seat that will last your dd 4-5 years with ds only sitting in it once in a while, I'd go girly.

I bought an avenue in silver and black. The avenue has an 8 year lifespan and I knew the seat would likely be used equaly by ds and dd and new baby, then gender unknown. I wished sometimes that I did have a girly cover for it since my 4 year old will complain about not sitting in a pink seat.

Now, we once had a car full of blue, maroon, and brown car seats. None of my girls complained about ugly seats. They didn't know car seats came in pink. It all started when I went to buy a turbobooster for ds (who eventually went back to a harness) and the pink turbo was $30 less than any other color. I bought the pink one of course- dd got the pink seat and ds got her blue one. Then I bought a pink scenera to rf dd. I do regret buying a pink one, but it is okay since I'm expecting another girl. Ds has sat in the pink car seat on several occasions. Dh doesn't like it, but dh will also put pink and purple diapers on ds, so I guess it's okay. I wouldn't use it as a main seat.

So, as to advise you- go for pink if the seat will last your dd a long time, or neutral if it will only be her seat for maybe 2 years, then move on to another kid.

arly1983

I was hooked on the girly covers but I have 2 boys and 1 girl.

I like my seats to match more than I like girly covers :eek: so all my girly covers were sold and now my seats match. It makes my heart go pitter-patter everytime I see my yummy matching seats in the van.

If a girly seat makes you happy, then go for it.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I just got a pink Frontier,even knowing it will end up being ds's seat for the last several years of it's life......I figure by then, it'll be brown anyway...lol...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC