My almost 3yo went back to RF!!

romanoma

Here’s the story if you care to read…

Like so many parents, I have long been uninformed about the benefits of ERF…until I found this site. Unfortunately, we turned our DS right after his first birthday. Now that we have #2, we started to look for carseats to pass down and new ones for him, and I came across this site. I read, learned, and became committed to keeping DD RF for as long as possible, but never thought I’d get DS back around since he had been FF for almost 2 years, plus he’s definitely a 2-almost-3 year old with tantrums, tantrums, drama, and more tantrums…

Anyway, we bought a radian for a plane trip in Feb, but due to comments on here about that seat being a no-go for RF in a CRV, we just installed it FF for DS and decided to get different seats for DD to stay RF longer.

But since this site is my new obsession, as I hung around and read more threads, I learned I have a “new” radian with a different foot that makes RF installs easier. So I just decided to try it to see if it would be an option for DD. And it worked, good install with the new foot! Well, then since I had it in, I just thought I’d see what DS did when I tried to put him in it RF, and to see if he still fit. I said “look, you get to look out the big back window just like M!” (he is always imitating her anyway). And do you know, he was really excited!! That first car trip, he kept saying “look mommy! What a beautiful cloud! Look at that! There’s a space ship! (meaning airplane with a white smoke tail)” He LOVES being RF!! And he doesn’t even mind the very reclined radian, I guess it’s like a lazyboy for him :). I never thought he’d go along with it, being the control freak he is, but I’m so glad I tried it!! At the rate he gains weight, currently at 31lbs, we may have another year for RF!!

I am so grateful to everyone here for all that you do, and I’m glad my kids are much safer in the car now.

I encourage other parents who are new to the idea of extended rear facing to give it a try, even with older kids who have already been FF. They might just love it!!

Another lesson learned, and another child turned :thumbsup:.

In my siggy you can see a pic of my 2 RFers. Look how happy he is! :D

ADS

monstah

That's so awesome!!
I know my 3 year old DS would LOVE to get to ride RF too, but sadly, the kid is huge, LOL.

Way to go mom!!!! :2thumbsup:

urchin_grey

WTG! Glad he likes it. :love:

We turned my DS FF'ing at 15mo (would have been longer but we had to buy a new seat after he had surgery and had to wear a cast). But then I learned about ERF'ing when he was 2.5 so we went out right away and got a convertible seat. :) Luckily we did too, because he was still a pound away from the minimum on the seat he was in and we didn't even realize it. :thumbsdown: Now he's almost 4 and hasnt' a clue what FF'ing is and won't for quite some time. :whistle:

romanoma

I am insanely jealous of you people with kids who fit RFing after 2 years old. :p

Yeah, for carseats, it's nice he is such a string bean, about 20% for weight.

Now DD on the other hand, will likely outgrow RF about the same time as DS. She has stayed at the 95% for height and 90% for weight. I REALLY hope she can make it to 2yo RF. Now that I know the right thing to do, I want a chance to do it :D

ETA: Oh, and obviously, because it is the safest thing for her, also.

miraclebabies

Congrats... It's so exciting to have a child that is ERF, it makes you feel so much better. I am more at ease with my DD being RF past age 2, she is very tall 35in and only weighs 24#. So I am thinking I can keep her RF for a long time. My DD2 is on the same growing patterns as her older sister, so I hope to be lucky with keeping her RF longer to. People don't understand why she is still RF but I always say it is 5x safer than FF and she is so skinny. They don't say anything else. My DD loves to be more reclined and she sleeps so much better than if she was FF cause it would be so upright. Congrats.. Glad he doesnt mind being RF again.

sparkyd

That's great! I'll be bookmarking this to send to friends if I ever see an opportunity to share it with someone that might consider turning their babe back around. At the moment none are terribly receptive to the idea...

And as for your DD, you might be surprised. My DS has always been tall (95th percentile) and well above average weight and was gaining weight like crazy month after month. Last November when he hit 28 lbs I was worried he wouldn't make it to 2 RF. He is still 28 lbs! He'll be 2 in May. Getting taller, but still lots of height room in his Marathon and even a little more in the True Fit I bought to replace it (Marathon only goes to 30 lbs RF in Canada). I'm knocking on wood now that he doesn't have a huge growth spurt and gain a bunch of weight in the next few months...

Mommy0608

That's fantastic! I LOVE stories like this! :love:

I'm so glad you were able to turn him back RF, and that he loves it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: to you, Mom!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC