Flying w/ 5yo, GN, CARES, ?

ffpmcps

Hi all. We are going to by flying in May with our 2yo, and 5yo. I am trying to figure out what I want to do for our 5yo. I did a search and found some info, but still can't decide. She is 41lb, not sure on height, but she is almost at the second slots from the top on her GN and very leggy.

My concern with the GN on the plane is that it will be really tight for her with leg room. We are flying SW if it matters. Does anyone have any pics of older kids in a GN on a plane?

I thought about using a CARES, she should still be within the weight limit for that at the time. I would then gate check her GN, hopefully that would limit the chance of damage. However, we really don't fly much and I really can't afford to buy a CARES, so I have been trying to find somehwere that I could borrow one. I have never used the cares before, what are your thoughts on them for older children.

Lastly, I saw that you can rent cares on Ebay for like $13 plus shipping. They assure that they are in good condition. Anyone know anyone that has done this?

Sorry for all the rambling, just can't decide :)

TIA

Andrea

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Not a flier, but I would not even gate check a seat. So I would use it on the plane. Someone on here has photos of it on a plane with a kid in it. If you search naut and plane you will probably find them. Just my 2 cents.

mommaon112903

We flew Delta in December with Josef, and did not decide until we were at the airport that morning wheather or not we would be taking the GN on the plane with us. We knew we could not use it once we got to Orlando since the Magical Express does not have seat belts, and that it would be sitting in our hotel room for eight days then. Thankfully we decided not to, because there would have been NO leg room on three out of the four flights (we had connections each way), it was a squeeze for my hubby to have enough leg room on the first flight (only a 45min hop over to Atlanta). The one flight that we would have had ample leg room was the first leg back home-and Josef slept the whole way :) He was sick though, and the only way he could get comfy was to curl up in the fetal postion. He would have been a pretty miserable boy in his GN :thumbsdown:

Will there be someone who has a car seat at your destination for the five year old? If so, that seals the deal for me personally.

ffpmcps

Thanks for the replies so far. There will be no one on the other end. We are getting a rental and then driving about 3 1/2 hrs to our destination. We will also be driving a decent amount on the trip. So I def want to take her seat.

She does ride occasionally in a turbo booster in Gma's car. She does well with it, but with the amount we will be driving I would be more comfortable with her harnessed seat.

Hmmm still thinking and wondering about a CARES.

Andrea

jhomuth

I flew with my 2 in August, by myself, and was the same way, couldn't decide what to do about seats, etc. There were no seats available at my destination, and renting a seat with my rental car was something I was not willing to do. Also, flying by myself with them, and with the aircraft configured 3 seats on either side of the aisle, there was no way I could bring both Marathons on with me and all 3 of us fit in a row of 3 seats. Buying new seats just for the trip was not an option for me either. I maybe could have brought 1 MA on with me, but that still would have cramped all 3 of us badly. So I did check the 2 MA's, boxed up very well and checked at the ticket counter. (Again, by myself with 2 LO's and carry-ons, I didn't feel like trying to get us all plus 2 seats to the gate to gate check the seats.)

I decided to use a CARES harness for each of them but couldn't afford 2, or justify the purchase when we only fly every few years. So I'm one of the ones you're looking for who rented them off of ebay!

After shipping, I think I paid a total of just under $40 for both of them, and they were in excellent condition. They came complete with their carrying pouches, instructional card, instructional DVD, and lots of info from the seller. She shipped them so that we got them several days before we left, and we had I think 3 business days to get them in the mail back to her. There wasn't a single fray or stain on any of the webbing, and they were so simple to use. The flight attendants on both flights, coming and going, were great about them, were aware of them (I was worried I'd have to explain them), and a few even stopped to look at them because they had only seen them in training videos but not in real life. I would recommend them, and would also recommend renting them.

If you'd like, I can go back and find out which seller I rented them from.

Evolily

I would just do a seatbelt on the plane- at her age and size that is a perfectly acceptable solution, and pack a RSTV or booster. If you want her harnessed at your destination I would get an RSTV, it's just a better investment than a CARES harness IMHO. And I wouldn't want to gate check a seat.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I would just do a seatbelt on the plane- at her age and size that is a perfectly acceptable solution, and pack a RSTV or booster. If you want her harnessed at your destination I would get an RSTV, it's just a better investment than a CARES harness IMHO. And I wouldn't want to gate check a seat.
You took the words right out of my mouth :cool:

jhomuth

I would still vote for the CARES harness, in the absence of a carseat, for such a little one. I'm not a carseat tech, but I am a pilot. I am not an airline pilot, but my minor was in Aviation Safety. Little ones are especially susceptible to crash forces in an aircraft, simply because of the speed you're traveling at. Take-off and landing are the most dangerous phases of flight, as there is more damage to be done (ground, other vehicles, etc) and you're at lower airspeeds with less lift. Airliners typically take off at speeds of 160-180 mph and land at around 150 mph, all depending on the type of aircraft and weight. I'm the first to assert the safety of air travel over car travel, but things can and do happen, and if they do, a lap belt won't do a whole lot for a small child.

ffpmcps

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I am glad to hear that you had a good experience with ebay and the cares. We aren't flying until the end of May. So I am definately looking at all of the options mentioned. I don't know if I can really spend the $$ on the RSTV, but I am showing it to DH.

I am now wondering if maybe I can somehow fit the back of the GN in my luggage and take the base as a carry on, hmmm. :)

Jhomuth (sorry don't know your name :) ) if you could post, or PM me the seller you used that would be great.

Thanks
Andrea

jhomuth

Andrea,

Sorry, I never did get around to putting a siggy in here! The name of the seller I used is
m_and_d_in_fl

Lots of great feedback and good to deal with. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Jessica

PS. FYI, when I used the cares, my son was 21 months, about 28 lbs and 34 inches tall or so; my daughter was about to turn 5, 45 inches tall, and about 38 lbs. We used them mostly during takeoff and landing (see my previous post), but during cruise I let them use just the lap belt. They did very well with them and they were easy to use. I just had to explain to the passengers behind us what they were since they go around the back of the seat. No one had any problems with them. :)

lovemyfamily

Personally, as a former flight attendant, I think a 5yo is ok on a plane without a carseat. BUT if you are taking a seat for her anyway, might as well use it.
IF you do check it, check it in the manufacturers box with all the padding it was packaged with it, with your luggage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC