For a 7 yo: is a harnessed seat still safer than a booster

sweetfeet

I'm just curious. My dd will be 7 in May and when she was 5 I told her that she could pick a booster when she turned 7 because she had started to complain about her seat. I thought that she would be very close to outgrowing her husky by now but she still has a full inch of torso growing room until it is outgrown. Anyhow she stopped complaining a long time ago but did remind me recently what I had told her when I was looking at the skurvy oobr.:rolleyes: So at this age and size is the harness much safer or about the same as a good high back booster? I will keep her in for another year if it's safer. Either way I want to wait for the new parkway to come out, we love our pw.

Oh she's 56 pounds, 51" tall.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At her age, weight, and height, if she sits properly in a booster then there's no data indicating a harness is safer. It seems to be, given that it spreads out forces over five points rather than three, and there's less worry about slump and being out of position, but there's no data to show that that's right at all. So if you're comfortable with it, and she's excited about a high back booster, it'd be ok to move her. Provided she sits properly. If she's flopping all over the place, or falls asleep on rides over five minutes then she needs a harness.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, at 7, if she wants to switch, I'd let her. I consider that a very appropriate age to move to a booster, even if she still technically fits, at that age social considerations/her feelings should be taken into account. If she was 4, I'd say no way let her choose. At five, I too would feel uncomfortable, as you did. But at 7? As long as she understands and follows the rules and sits correctly in the booster, not a problem. :)

WhatAboutPuppy

She's definitely old enough to understand what the rules are for moving to the booster.
I would tell her, here are the rules, here's why, if they can't be met then you move back to the harness.

Uh, I was being short and not being wordy... I wouldn't say it that bluntly or rudely or whatever. lol

Kat_Momof3

if you want the oobr, just let her know she has to wait until it's released... at least that will buy you some more time.

However, if she wants a booster already on the market, like the Monterey, I wouldn't be upset, because she's at such a good size and age for transitioning. Also, if you start with using it for short trips only, by the time she outgrows the Husky, she'll be a booster pro!

sweetfeet

She already is really awesome at sitting in a booster. She's had the parkway for Grandma's van since she was 4½. She's a very cautious child. She told me that she wants to stay in her husky until August. Not sure why she's choosing August but whatever. At least that gives me a chance to see the boosters on the horizon before picking a new one.

Splash

Yeah, I'm guessing that everyone in her class now already knows she sits in a "baby seat" and therefore no point moving now or before the beginning of the next school year. She just wants out of it before third grade, and i can't say that I blame her!

That'll be good back to school shopping. Backpack, pencils, booster seat.

sweetfeet

We homeschool and her friends actually like to sit in her seat and talk to her. Go figure. Her main complaint was that the baby had her cowmoo ma which was cool and she has a fairly boring funky denim husky. She just wants a cool seat. No one has ever made fun of her for having a 'baby seat'.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Fair enough. I got bored on Piper's behalf of her denim Wizards. *I* was going to wait and buy her a pink Nautilus, but she didn't want to wait and so she has gray. Her choice.

Have you seen the Clek Oobr? Google it. It is NOT boring, but I don't think it's quite out yet. But it may be out of your budget.

Wendy

sweetfeet

Fair enough. I got bored on Piper's behalf of her denim Wizards. *I* was going to wait and buy her a pink Nautilus, but she didn't want to wait and so she has gray. Her choice.

Have you seen the Clek Oobr? Google it. It is NOT boring, but I don't think it's quite out yet. But it may be out of your budget.

Wendy

Yep, she wants the scurvy. I don't really have a budget for car seats as I will spend whatever on what works best for the kiddo and my car. :) I'm excited to hear reviews once people have it in hand.

Kat_Momof3

I knew it... she wants the cool seat... and probably just wants to wait until the dirty spring and summer months with their rain, mud, sand, and sweat are over so her seat wil look it's newest (or she read it isn't released yet)

lovemyfamily

I am glad to see your post as my oldest will be 8 in Sept and he is currently riding in a Regent. He is 63lbs. and 52 inches and says he wants to ride in his booster, we have a Parkway when we travel, full time. I am wanting to get him something extra safe, but am wanting to hold out as long as I can. I think 8 is a good age for us.

jdubsm

My twins turned seven last month and one of them really wanted to move to her booster seat full time. She's very mature and understands the importance of sitting correctly so she is now in her Parkway full time. Her sister wants to stay in her Regent(which I'm really happy about since she's a peanut at 41lbs) but she does ride in a Parkway in dh's car. I love not having to climb into the back of the van to strap a car seat. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC