Does the Nautilus have built-in lock-offs?

Kristy00

I am looking at ordering the Nautilus for my oldest DS, but am wondering if the Nautilus has built in lock offs. Right now DS sits in the rear bench centre of my van and it is super hard to get a proper install there. The only success I have had is with my True Fit and Safeseat with the built in lockoffs... I'd go and check the seat out myself, but I have no store that sells them anywhere near here...

ADS

Kristy00

No the Frontier does not have lock offs, but I believe the Nautilus Elite does.

I won't have time to wait for that. DS will need a new seat within a few months, and I am presuming it will be quite a while before the Nautilus Elite comes to Canada.

I might just have to re-think which seat goes where...

Kristy00

Which van? Someone here may have both van and seat and could try/share tricks.

I have Pontiac Montana SV6. I really want to put it in the 3rd row as opposed to the 2nd row captains chairs. (I'm sure I could get an acceptable install there though, if I had to.) The seat has to go in the center 3rd row position because that is the only location with a forward facing tether anchor. (FF tethering is mandatory in Canada)

Last edited:

canmom

I have Pontiac Montana SV6. I really want to put it in the 3rd row as opposed to the 2nd row captains chairs. (I'm sure I could get an acceptable install there though, if I had to.) The seat has to go in the center 3rd row position because that is the only location with a rear tether. (Rear tethering is mandatory in Canada)

Rear-tethers are not mandatory in Canada.

ETA: Did you mean ffing tethers by chance? The only seats that you even can tether rfing are Britax and Sunshine Kids, any other seat is not allowed to be tethered rfing.

Kristy00

Rear-tethers are not mandatory in Canada.

ETA: Did you mean ffing tethers by chance? The only seats that you even can tether rfing are Britax and Sunshine Kids, any other seat is not allowed to be tethered rfing.

That's exactly what I meant - it's been a long day, and I got mixed up. After all the ff tether does come out of the rear of the seat. ;) Sorry!!

canmom

No problem... I thought that must have been what you meant. What year is your vehicle... are you sure there are no tether anchors on the back of the captains chairs?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'mnot familiar with the center 3rd row of the SV6...what exactly is it that makes installations hard? Is the seatbelt forward of the bight? long bucklestalks? Fixed bucklestalks? headrests which interfere? What is it?
Also... honestly,the Nautilus intsalls REALLY easily, almost everywhere anyone has ever tried....if yoiu are looking for a seat that has the best chance of installing well without lockoffs...,the nauti is probably it.....

Kristy00

No problem... I thought that must have been what you meant. What year is your vehicle... are you sure there are no tether anchors on the back of the captains chairs?

My van is a 2006. There are tether anchors on the back of the captains chairs, but that is currently where my other 2 children sit. I could move them around, but it is a lot easier to reach my RFing kids when they are in the 2nd row as opposed to the 3rd.

I'mnot familiar with the center 3rd row of the SV6...what exactly is it that makes installations hard? Is the seatbelt forward of the bight? long bucklestalks? Fixed bucklestalks? headrests which interfere? What is it?
Also... honestly,the Nautilus intsalls REALLY easily, almost everywhere anyone has ever tried....if yoiu are looking for a seat that has the best chance of installing well without lockoffs...,the nauti is probably it.....

OP,

Why do you think you need built in lock-offs to install in that seating position?

The seatbelt is forward of the bight, and there are long bucklestalks. The shoulder portion comes out of the top of the seat in that location, and I find it very hard to get it to retract fully. There may be something wrong with the automatic locking mechanism because it always comes slightly loose, no matter what I try. I can install a seat and have in in rock solid. Within a few days, it is loose. I can tighten everything up again, and then in a few days it is loose. It is not crazy loose, but it does make for close to 1 inch in movement. Since I've put a TF there and used the lock-offs, the seat has stayed solid. After a few days, there is slight slack in the belt, but it is from shoulder portion so it doesn't affect the seat install, KWIM? I could just use a locking clip to keep the belt tight, but with the buckle stalks the way they are, there is no room for me to get a clip on - even after rotating the buckle stalk 3 full turns, the clip falls right on the edge of the belt path. If I rotate any less, then the buckle stalk is in the path.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC