Radian 80

eelder81

I think this is the car seat we are going to try and use. I told my husband about this and he said, "A kid who weighs 80 pounds will still be in a harness seat?" I said of course but then I thought will my child start to fight this as he gets older? Also, I'm a FTM so old was your child when they weighed about 80 pounds? Have you found that a child would outgrow the height requirements before they reach the weight? Thanks!!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

The 80 is the same size as the 65. Your husband is correct to some degree in that most children outgrow the Radian by height before reaching even the 65 lb limit.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, very few children will make it to 80 pounds in a Radian. Some might make it to 65.

Most physically and neuro-typical children are "ready" to transition to boosters somewhere around age five or six. There's nothing wrong with harnessing longer, and some kids need it, but there's also (usually) no need to plan carseat purchases with the goal of harnessing to 80 pounds -- which would probably be around age eight or nine.

Pixels

Children often (usually?) outgrow carseats by height before reaching the weight limit. The Radian65, Radian80, and RadianXT all have the same shell (except for the headwings on the XT) and the same top harness slots. Kids often outgrow the Radians right around 65 pounds. If your child is extremely short, or obese, s/he might possibly reach 80 pounds in it, but it's extremely unlikely.

I always recommend the 65, or the XT for the headwings if you want them, unless there is a good reason to believe that your child will be very heavy relative to height.

What are your child's current age, weight, and height?

kidrepair

I'm not sure that my oldest dd will hit 80 pounds until 12-14 yrs. old, she is about to turn 10 in May and is about 58 pounds, there is no way she would fit height wise in the Radian....

musicmaj

My daughter with a long torso outgrew it at 49lbs and 7 years old and my son with a shorter torso outgrew it at 52lbs and 6.75 years old. Technically, my son could still sit in the seat since he is only a smidge over the top slots, but his shoulders are pretty broad and don't fit well. I do love the seat and although I wish my son would have fit into it longer, it was definitely worth buying.

christineka

I think my kids will be 12-16 years old before hitting 80 pounds! I remember myself getting up to 90 pounds by 11th grade. (That's what, 16 years?)

The radian 65 is good for most kids. The 80 comes in pink, though. My dd insisted on having a pink seat, so despite the fact that she'll be 40 pounds at age 7 and move to a booster, I got her the radian 80.

romanoma

The other difference is the infant insert that comes standard with the 80, and not with the 65. Depending on what age you were planning to move them to the radian, you might want that insert. But I think I have read here that you can buy that insert separate from the seat and that when added together the insert + radian 65 is still cheaper.

What I don't know is if they have infant inserts to match the radian 65 covers?

Also not sure at what age they stop needing that insert, since I don't have one...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The insert is sold separately as the Comfy Soft. It's about $17, probably closer to $22 with shipping unless you buy it on Amazon with other stuff and get free shipping or something. So yeah, still cheaper unless you get a really KILLER deal on the 80, but sometimes enough to make it not make much of a difference which you get if the 80 is on a good sale. And of course if you really like an 80 cover, that's that (that's how I ended up with one, my daughter HAD to have a Princess cover!)

The Comfy Soft comes in grey and ivory. I've seen the grey with the Granite 65 and they look quite nice together. I have never seen the Ivory with Champagne but I don't think it would look as good together.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC