Harness Height Comparison of Safeguard Go and Uptown

niccig

Does anyone know if the Go harness height is taller than the Uptown's and by how much taller? DS will be out of the Uptown in 6-12 months, and I'm thinking of getting a Go to use as a travel seat. DS is small, 4 yo 34lbs and 38.5", I need to measure his torso.

We visit family in Australia and once DS is 5 yo, QANTAS won't let me take a car seat on the plane. So, carrying on the Go, would help out a lot. I'm pretty sure my parents' car does have top tether anchor point, we need to get an anchor installed and I can do that on this trip. I'm thinking of getting a Go now, and taking it with so I can do a trial run and see how it installs. The cars don't have lower anchors, so I'll have to use the seatbelt. I'll have the Uptown with me, so if the Go doesn't work, I do have a car seat for DS. Oh, and DH thinks I"m nuts to take 2 car seats....but he'll get over it.

Thanks.

ADS

Evolily

Have you considered a ride safer travel vest? You must have a top tether for the safe guard, but the RSTV only needs a lap/shoulder belt.

niccig

Have you considered a ride safer travel vest? You must have a top tether for the safe guard, but the RSTV only needs a lap/shoulder belt.

I have, but we visit hot tropical Australia with 80% humidity. And the car doesn't have the best AC. DS will get too hot in the vest. I break a sweat just walking outside to the mail box. We loll around the house in sarongs, as the house doesn't have AC either...don't know why, but those ceiling fans really don't help out much.

It is on my list of options though, especially to get 3 across in my CRV. Mmmm, maybe we get a vest AND a Go....DH will freak....

niccig

Here's my barely-to-big 9 yo in ours... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/SafeguardGo#5291248192673735714

Her torso is about 18.5 there...so slots are close to 18.

I'm thinking DS might be like your DD. I'll measure him tonight, but I think we have 2 inches of torso growth in the Uptown, so that would put his torso at around 14.5". The Uptown will still fit him for a while, but silly QANTAS and their 5 yo limit on car seats, is a pain. I really don't want to check a seat.

We have Latch in all other cars except my parents, so with a seatbelt install it might be a bit less. I read Darren's tips to no have the harness lower with a seatbelt. It might be worth getting it for the May trip, just so I can fool around with it in my parents car. I'll have the Uptown as well, so I won't be stuck without a seat. And the Go will work in all other cars when we visit family...

groovymom2000

My almost 5 year old almost outgrew it. I was going to sell it, but it was unfortunately in my DH's car when we crashed recently(I KNEW I should have taken it out before we left). My DS is big for his age, though, and is all torso. I will say that the seatbelt install was tricky, and in DH's car I never could get an acceptable install.

niccig

I measured DS, he has nearly 2" of torso growth in the Uptown. And he's got 6 lbs lbs until he reaches the weight limit. I think he could get to 6 years old in it. His torso is about 13.5". So not tall at all. 17" harness on the Go will last us a long time, 18" with a LATCH install even longer.

We don't need the Go for this next trip as we can take the Uptown, but it's the next visit after that, I'll have to work out. He'll be around 6 yo when we visit next. If I am going to get the Go, I want to have a back up in case I can't install it. I'll have to talk to DH to see about getting it now so we can try it out on this trip with their seat belts and see if the seat back is high enough.

ETA. Does anyone know if the Go on sale at elite car seats is teh 2008 model with the improvements, or the older model???

niccig

My almost 5 year old almost outgrew it. I was going to sell it, but it was unfortunately in my DH's car when we crashed recently(I KNEW I should have taken it out before we left). My DS is big for his age, though, and is all torso. I will say that the seatbelt install was tricky, and in DH's car I never could get an acceptable install.

Thanks. This is what I'm worried about. I don't know if I'll be able to get installed in my parents' car, I'll have to buy it to try it out, and preferably when I have another seat as a back up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC