Stroller Rec?

fouros

Now that YDS has officially moved out of his bucket seat, we're looking for an affordable, durable, practical umbrella-type stroller. We used to have the Chicco Tuscany (back when they made the Chicco Tuscany) and are looking for something similar -- cheap as possible!! I'm all spent out after 2 car seats for my son and one for my niece! :) Any recs? TIA!

ADS

ed_tricia

No solid recs, as I'm searching also. I will say, from what I've played with in stores, I didn't like the ever popular MacLaren volo b/c it doesn't recline, and I like the graco Ipo quite a bit, but it's quite a bit heaver at 17ish lbs.
I'm frustrated that there are $20-$25 umbrella strollers, and then $75-$100, and then way more than that. Why is there nothing in the $50 range with good features?
I'm guessing if DS just moved from the bucket seat, he's around 1ish? If so, you may want to find one that reclines in case he falls asleep. I am searching for an older, taller kid and noticed the seat is much taller on the more expensive ($80-$100) models than the cheaper versions. The seats on the few I've tried out were also a little higher, which keeps her from dragging her feet on the floor or trying to rest them on the wheels. The Ipo seat is deeper than the Volo, so it supports her legs better. Some of those things may not matter w/ a younger kid, so it depends how long you plan to use it for your kiddo.
There are several models listed on this thread that might help you narrow it down: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=76282

fouros

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, we're definitely looking for a recline feature. The Tuscany had one (and was bought 5 years ago for $65) so I didn't think it would be such a problem to find another one. Hmmm...I'll have to do some more research. What a PITA! Car seats are so fun to research...I don't have the same love for strollers!

Kat_Momof3

the thing most similar to the Tuscany (I loved that stroller, too) would be the Ct.05

due to inflation and all, you won't find it for as cheap as the Tuscany went for (it retailed for 85, so you probably got it on sale).

I would recommend going to BRU first and checking out the 100 dollar Wendy Bellissimo stroller.... it's just better than the Ct.05

It's not available online, only in store, so no links... sorry.

ed_tricia

Drug hubby to BRU Saturday and played w/ all the strollers. I've also checked at Target and Baby Depot and had the same results each time: MacLaren may be "the" brand, but we were both immensely frustrated with the buckles. I have tried 6-8 Mac strollers recently and every time I struggled to undo the buckles. I was looking strictly for 5 pt harnesses, so that ruled out a lot of strollers in the umbrella fold category. The Chicco strollers don't have adjustable height shoulder straps. I didn't think it was thatmuch better than our $25 stroller. I've only been able to play with one style in person, so others may have some fun features. The combi is lightweight, doesn't fold umbrella style exactly, but fairly small. They (as well as a few select styles in other brands) have a little bar in front. The tallest w/ the deepest seat ended up being the Graco Ipo. Another big selling point we wanted was bigger wheels, which the graco and I want to say combi?? had. We played around with letting DD climb in and out of each stroller, did and undid buckles, folded and unfolded...you get the point. Although it is on the heavier end, we opted for the Ipo. We ordered it from Amazon so DD could have blue and I'm hoping it gets here this week.

BananaBoat

I'm going to re-post what I said on the PP thread link:

"I just went thru this same dilemma. We settled on the new Chicco Liteway - it just came out last month. My DH is 6' and it works well for us both. It reclines nearly flat & although it's heavier than the Macs (Volo & Triumph) it's MUCH lighter than the Baby Planet solo sport. The sunshade is very large in comparison to the Macs. I got it at Target for $129 - not sure where/if to purchase in Canada though...HTH"

We will be using it on a walking vacation for a week in the Bahamas & will update with any essential details...

P1ally

I'm going to re-post what I said on the PP thread link:

"I just went thru this same dilemma. We settled on the new Chicco Liteway - it just came out last month. My DH is 6' and it works well for us both. It reclines nearly flat & although it's heavier than the Macs (Volo & Triumph) it's MUCH lighter than the Baby Planet solo sport. The sunshade is very large in comparison to the Macs. I got it at Target for $129 - not sure where/if to purchase in Canada though...HTH"

We will be using it on a walking vacation for a week in the Bahamas & will update with any essential details...

The liteway is so cute.. I wish I needed another stroller..

And the Bahamas?? Lucky.. I went to Nassau a few years ago, and it was amazing.. Hope you have fun!

vonfirmath

Both of the strollers I use regularly recline, and I haven't once used the feature. Even when we were in Washington D.C. and my 16-month (all bundled up against the cold) slept all the way across the Mall from the air & Flight museum, on the Metro, and back to the car. The lack of recline didn't seem to stop him sleeping at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC