Starting to think about a new car...

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
The problem is that most domestic car makers are closing USA plants and investing in plants overseas, while many Japanese companies are investing in factories here. It's also difficult to tell what domestic content is actually in the vehicle. The content stickers on the window are useless because of the convoluted laws that govern the accounting were entirely political.

I argue it's next to impossible to research which vehicle will benefit the domestic economy more. Back in 1991, Saturn was a great choice in that regard. Today, with the global platforms and manufacturing, even many Saturns aren't a clear choice for "Buy USA". I was a buy American nut 15 years ago, but it became increasingly difficult to make an informed choice that I gave up and bought my first Japanese car (made in Canada) just over 5 years ago...

While yes many American automakers are closing plants due to a number of reasons. I know GM is closing several plants due to restructuring or discountinuance of a vehicle platform. But, They are also retooling many of those plants for upcoming new vehicle platforms in the up coming years.

I know Ford is closing a lot of their plants with a lot of lay off's. The have fallen on some hard times. But, A lot of this is their fault too. They haven't refreshed their vehicles fast enough with consumer demands. They are slow to get into a vehicle market. Also they fully have not recovered from the whole tire/roll over recall on their SUV's. All companies even forgein automakers do fall on hard times. Ford will rebound just like GM has and has Toyota/Honda/Nissian. I don't wish any of them into bankupty like some people I have meet (not anyone on this site).

Just like all of us want parents to make informed decision on car seats. I also want others to know that we also need to protect our ecomony too.

Just so everyone knows I am not one of these types that does not buy anything foreign. But, My dh & I feel like our 2nd largest investment does need to help support our ecomony.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's a funny thing. I have a friend who finally left an engineering management position at Ford for over 15 years. He finally got frustrated with the whole union/corporate antagonism that prevents any innovation or improvement. The designers ask for improvements in designs, tolerances and ultimately reliability, but this usually means a move to more automation or retraining for new methods. That is, of course, rejected by the UAW who has a major say in any new project. The labor agreements and pension problems put the automakers at a big disadvantage compared to competition who use non-union employees or to using plants in lower cost countries. Ford, GM and Chrysler aren't necessarily going to rebound. Unlike Nissan, they have a union that is going to resist almost any change that is likely to allow a real turn-around.

The union isn't the only problem. Short sighted management and overpaid executives take their toll, too. Their only real profits come from bigger SUVs that use antiquated designs so they are cheap to produce but sell for a lot of money. The Japanese got a foothold in the last gas crisis, but this hasn't caused the domestic companies to learn from their mistakes. For example, despite the fact that Toyota hybrids are selling like hotcakes and people pay a hefty premium for them, Ford recently announced a significant rollback in their future plans for hybrids, opting to go with flex fuel vehicles instead:-(

I thought Saturn was a great way to support an American made product with a unique union agreement that promoted cooperation through incentives. I owned two of them. Sadly, it was eventually absorbed into the corportate GM fold just like every other make and many of their products are now on global platforms and use components made elsewhere- including some Honda engines.

Buying American sounds like a great concept. Making a determination of what is American and returns the most money to our domestic economy is the problem. I don't fault anyone for trying to buy American. I still do myself. I just hope that we're actually buying American as much as we think we are. With a global economy and outsourcing and impossibility of determining true domestic content and value added of a vehicle, it's quite likely the only thing we are really doing is putting extra money in the pockets of the corporate and union executives that are driving these companies into bankruptcy and their domestic workers out of jobs.

Once we had children, I decided that it wasn't worth any compromise in safety or features to buy a domestic minivan. While Ford has come close, to this day none of the big three have matched Honda, Toyota and Kia in these regards. It's sad to see how far Kia has come in 6 years on their second generation minivan but Chrysler hasn't been able to come close in terms of safety features and crashworthiness after decades and numerous generations of being the minivan leader. Regardless of who is at fault, I decided my kids weren't going to have any increased chance (however small) of paying the ultimate sacrifice because if it. If a domestic company has a competitive product on our next purchase, I'll gladly give them the benefit of the doubt. If not, I still to one of the same philosophies I use with my kids- I'm not going to be rewarding them for bad behavior;-)

skaterbabs

tee hee....I am drooling over the new Hyundai van, but at $23k, drooling is about all I'll do! LOL

We're probably going to replace my Cherokee with a Saturn sedan of the same vintage as the one dh's employer provides for his use ('97 wagon). The boys pass the 5 Step Test in it, so we'd only need to fit one CR, which is a very attractive prospect for us these days since the boys are close to outgrowing all the available boosters. At most I think we'll get an extra 2 years from the PWs and then they'll go in storage until I'm ready for Joyjoy to ride in them.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
tee hee....I am drooling over the new Hyundai van, but at $23k, drooling is about all I'll do! LOL

We're probably going to replace my Cherokee with a Saturn sedan of the same vintage as the one dh's employer provides for his use ('97 wagon). The boys pass the 5 Step Test in it, so we'd only need to fit one CR, which is a very attractive prospect for us these days since the boys are close to outgrowing all the available boosters. At most I think we'll get an extra 2 years from the PWs and then they'll go in storage until I'm ready for Joyjoy to ride in them.

I sat Kaylee in the center position on an '07 Saturn VUE on Monday at the Texas State Fair. She buckled up just playing around and I was SHOCKED that the seat belt fit her perfectly. Her knees didn't fold over the edge or touch the floor. But, The belt hit her shoulder properly and hit the boney area of her hips. She was stilling all the way back. Of course I would never put a 5yr old in just a vehicle seatbelt but was rather pleased that it fit her. It has to do with how the seatbelt comes out of the seat on the front side instead of the top of the seat. It is designed for small sized people for sure.

skaterbabs

I'd LOVE to get an '07 Vue, but there's not a snowball's chance, IYKWIM. lol

Aw heck, I'll just win the lotto, go buy whatever sedan the boys fit in without boosters, and get that Hyundai minivan. LOL

skipspin

Yep, I've had an almost 5 year old (barely 40 lb if that and very leggy) actually pass the 5 step test in the middle seat of my VUE, but she still rode in her booster seat ;-)

They are pretty reasonable, especially used, and I know someone that might be selling one in the next few months... yes, shameless SPAM. LOL.

Back to the original question, I would say:
Mazda 5 (unless it's not "american" enough-I'm not sure LOL) I really like these
Mid-sized SUVs like Saturn VUE, Chevy Equinox, Buick
Larger SUVs like Saturn ???, Chevy Trailblazer

Have fun! My DH loes to car shop, so it's always a happy time for him.

skaterbabs

Yeah, we pretty much decided on a '97-'99 Saturn sedan after seeing that the boys pass the 5 Step Test in dh's '97 wagon. It'll be replacing the Cherokee, which I do love, but doesn't have headrests.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I had a 1991 and a 1999 Saturn SL2. Both were good cars, though the 1991 was a first year model and had a moderate (but not excessive) number or reliability issues.

If you're looking at the SL2, I believe 1999 was the first year for a few minor engine updates that were intended to resolve some complaints.

skaterbabs

Good to know, I'll mention that to Cam. Although he's put a LOT of miles on "his" [employer's] '97 wagon and it's been very reliable for him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC