When is backless okay?

christineka

I played with the seats today and got all three girls in the back. Only trouble is that the kid in the turbobooster has an extremely difficult time buckling. She did try getting in and out with the belt already buckled, which was also difficult, but not as frustrating. The fisher price can be a little thinner and will fit better.

Dd is 9 years old. She has two "clicks" more on the turbo. (She's close to needing it moved.) She's on the top position of the fisher price and will probably outgrow it within the year.

I asked her where she'd prefer to sit. She kinda likes sitting in the back with the other two girls. I asked her where she'd like to sit and that's where she wants to be, but buckling is a pain.

I'm wondering if it is worth trying to make the fisher price cover more "girly". Or what.

ADS

christineka

Yes. I should probably also mention that dd weighs only 54 pounds and has an 18 inch torso. The fisher price booster goes to about 18.5 in high back mode.

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Has she already tried buckling herself into a backless? My kid doesn't find it any easier, but everyone is different -- if she does find it easier, then at that age/size I'd be OK with backless, especially with rear side curtain airbags . . . if she slumps while sleeping (long trips?) & there's space, I might save toward the Monterey :cool: My kid only has trouble buckling into the highback Monterey if the locking retractor gets engaged. I think the LATCH helps. She usually gets frustrated buckling into boosters because they tip when she leans over/around (regardless if it's backless or highback)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Does she have head support at least to the tips of her ears?

I'd be slightly ok with it. I'd feel better if she was bigger though.

My 8 YO is 65 pounds, 53 inches and a 19 inch torso, and I am only ok with backless once in a while, not full time yet, and not on high traffic/dangerous areas.

We have SAB's too, but it's just out of my comfort level for my kid, full time.

Although, if you came through a seat check with her in a backless, I'd be thrilled, and commend you for going past the minimums!

Michael goes backless when he goes to a friend's house(in the back of our subdivision). He says it is easier to buckle a backless(I think he is right, because he can buckle it in like 2 seconds vs. 5 minutes). My daycare girl is in a backless in her mom's car and she says it is easier than the high back(and both kids LOVE high backs, so I don't think it is just a ploy to go to a low back).

christineka

I've drooled over that monterey since before it came out, but dh is not a car seat guy. The radian 80 came yesterday and he was absolutely shocked to find I bought a $200 car seat. I told him it was $50 off and that sorta helped. I think I may try selling my fisher price seat on ebay in case anyone is crazy enough to spend $100 for it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC