The First Years Via I440

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've got a couple of questions about the Via infant seat.

1. Is there a splitter plate that the harness attaches to? I understand how the harness slot height adjusts, but I need to know how the harness is attached to the seat. If it's not attached to a splitter plate, is it attached to a bar or something else?

2. How is the crotch strap attached to the seat? It's not removable, but is it attached to the seat with a metal anchor or plastic anchor or a metal bar, etc.?

Thanks!

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I stopped into Zellers today to check out the Via for you, but they had none on display, sorry. :( I might get a chance to try a different store tomorrow. :)

henrietta

I've got a couple of questions about the Via infant seat.

1. Is there a splitter plate that the harness attaches to? I understand how the harness slot height adjusts, but I need to know how the harness is attached to the seat. If it's not attached to a splitter plate, is it attached to a bar or something else?

2. How is the crotch strap attached to the seat? It's not removable, but is it attached to the seat with a metal anchor or plastic anchor or a metal bar, etc.?

If it's the same as my Compass 1400, which the rep told me it basically is, the harness is not attached to a "splitter plate" per se. It's actually one strap that runs behind the seat thru a metal plate and back down as the harness. Each end of that strap runs thru the bottom of the seat and have stoppers on them to hold them in place. I think they are metal AND plastic, but I'd have to check. B/c of this, the harness can be a bit of a pain, as it gets hung up in the back and the straps get uneven, but it's not that hard to fix as needed. I think they can be snapped in and out. I think the crotch strap attaches w/a metal anchor. I will take it out of the car in a bit and look at it. I was told that it's essentially the same seat, but I haven't seen a Via in person either.

hths

henrietta

unityco

Just got home, and I managed to track one down! :thumbsup: I took pictures, but I'll give you the quick version since it will be a bit before I get a chance to upload them.

Both the harness and crotch buckle are attached to the seat by means of a small metal buckle (nothing as substantial as what you'd see on a splitter plate.) The shoulder harnesses come through the seat and are connected to the adjuster strap with a metal buckle (the mechanism that moves them up and down is concealed - I'm not sure how that works.) The end of the crotch buckle has the same type of metal buckle and it is clipped into the shell of the seat. You probably could remove it if you really wanted to.

I'll post the photos as soon as I can. :)

ETA: Photos!

▼Here's the crotch buckle attachment as seen from the bottom:

CSO%20001.jpg

▼Here's how the shoulder straps attach to the adjuster strap. The yellow thing is the "button" you use to change the shoulder strap position. You can kind of see how the straps just go into slots, but the whole adjuster mechanism is concealed in plastic.

CSO%20002.jpg

▼And just 'cause, here's a picture of the safety and comfort foam under the cover. I'm really quite impressed with this seat - it's really light, extremely well padded, and not that expensive. :thumbsup: Sorry the quality of this picture is less than optimal - I was trying to be as discreet as I could. :eek:

CSO%20003.jpg

Last edited:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If it's the same as my Compass 1400, which the rep told me it basically is, the harness is not attached to a "splitter plate" per se. It's actually one strap that runs behind the seat thru a metal plate and back down as the harness. Each end of that strap runs thru the bottom of the seat and have stoppers on them to hold them in place. I think they are metal AND plastic, but I'd have to check. B/c of this, the harness can be a bit of a pain, as it gets hung up in the back and the straps get uneven, but it's not that hard to fix as needed. I think they can be snapped in and out. I think the crotch strap attaches w/a metal anchor. I will take it out of the car in a bit and look at it. I was told that it's essentially the same seat, but I haven't seen a Via in person either.

hths

henrietta

With the pics that unityco posted, it does look like the same setup you described. Thanks for the description! :)

Just got home, and I managed to track one down! :thumbsup: I took pictures, but I'll give you the quick version since it will be a bit before I get a chance to upload them.

Both the harness and crotch buckle are attached to the seat by means of a small metal buckle (nothing as substantial as what you'd see on a splitter plate.) The shoulder harnesses come through the seat and are connected to the adjuster strap with a metal buckle (the mechanism that moves them up and down is concealed - I'm not sure how that works.) The end of the crotch buckle has the same type of metal buckle and it is clipped into the shell of the seat. You probably could remove it if you really wanted to.

I'll post the photos as soon as I can. :)

ETA: Photos!

Thanks for going to all the trouble to get the photos! I soooo appreciate it! (And so does my proj. man. ;) ).

unityco

Thanks for going to all the trouble to get the photos! I soooo appreciate it! (And so does my proj. man. ;) ).

Oh, you're welcome! :) I'm sorry I didn't take a look at how the hip straps are attached - totally blanked on that. Hopefully it matches Henrietta's description!

henrietta

With the pics that unityco posted, it does look like the same setup you described. Thanks for the description!

Yep, that's it! That's exactly what mine looks like. You are welcome for the description.

hths

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC