Question Need help finding car seat

jheimes

I need a convertible car seat that I can eventually erf in. DS is currently about 28" and 18 lbs. Needs to be kind of narrow, because it will be next to DS (3 yr erf in Radian 65) in a 96 Toyota Camry.
I need it to have high harnesses (long torsoed kids) and belt lock offs. (outer belts no longer stay locked).
I was looking at the new trufit coming out, but yikes on the price. Any other suggestions. How long would the new trufit last. Maybe it would be worth it.
He will still fit in his SS1 for awhile, but we would like to use it in one vehicle this summer and put a convertible in the other vehicle that can grow with him.
Thanks for the input.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd look at the regular True Fit (the new one isn't a different shell or seat, it just has an antirebound bar, so you won't get more time out of a new one). It has 17.5" top slots, 35 pound rear facing limit, and 65 pound forward facing. So top slots nearly on par with the Radian you have. It has a seven year lifespan, so it'll get kids pretty far down the road. It's wide, though.

You could also try a Radian with a locking clip. Since you have one at your disposal to try out rear facing I'd do that first. You know the Radian, and if you wanted you could just get a second. Just use the locking clip on the belt (though if it used to work and now it doesn't I'd get it replaced).

But in a budget that is less "yikes" inducing, I'd look at the True Fit (you can sometimes find some on sale online for as low as $145 or so) and the Radian 65, like you have.

Wendy

MomToEliEm

Why not go with something not as long lasting (maybe like the Avenue)? When your child outgrows that seat rearfacing, pass down the radian from the older child and buy a new harnessed seat for the older child (or dedicated booster if he is old enough) when that time comes.

jheimes

I looked at the Avenue. I may have to try that. I was trying to get away from the need for the metal locking clip since my in laws would need to figure out how to use it in their older vehicle also (no latch, no locking belts).
I do love my Radian, but it is a PITA to install anywhere and some vehicles I can't get it to install in period.
I have decided that I am willing to pay more in order to avoid needing a metal locking clip. So I will try the regular TruFit to see if it fits.
Is there anything else that has built in lock offs and is narrowish. (I have a SS1 next to the erf Radian right now and it fits if that gives you an idea.) I realize that I am going to have to go to a store and do some trial and error, but I do not have the energy to try 20 different seats.
I am planning to leave the Radian RF in the center since that is where I get the best install (also it is too tall to put behind the passenger without squishing the person in front, which I guess is okay since I rarely have another adult in the car with me.)
Any other ideas.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Britaxes have built in lockoffs, as does the True Fit. That's it. The Roundabout would be the "narrowest" Britax, but I wouldn't call it narrow on its own.

How old is their car?

Wendy

jheimes

It is a 96 Toyota Camry. The center back has a lap only belt that seems to work best for the Radian I have rearfacing. DD is sitting in it now at 3.5 yrs, 28# and almost 37". She is at 25% so not sure how long until she will be FF, which would give us a few more options (such as passing down her seat and putting a FF only seat on outboard). Are there more FF only seats with built in lock offs that harness for a taller kid? I have the SS2 (in DH's vehicle) which fits next to the Radian outboard in my car and has lock offs, it will get us by until she reaches 40" or so. She seems to be growing height wise and not weight wise. I just feel more comfortable with her rearfacing at this point.
The outboard spots have shoulder belts that are supposed to lock when pulled out all the way and fed back in. They no longer seem to stay locked, so I would feel safer with either a metal locking clip or a car seat with built in lock offs. I believe that at one point I tried a Recaro of some kind in there RF outboard and it barely fit next to the SS1.
I also have the issue of very long female belt stalks. I wish I had a baby store closer than 3 hours away to try seats out at. (Live in rural Nebraska) I hate ordering and then possibly having to pay shipping back.
I was hoping to keep the new seat under $200, but am willing to spend more for some added conveniences.
Thanks for your inputs.
Oh . . . anybody know if the TruFit is wider than the recaro convertibles?

Last edited:

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Since you want the built-in locking clips you have the truefit and britax as options. If you go with a britax, I would only go with a 65# one.

Where at in ne? We are going there this week, but probably not far enough out, but who knows. I have a bv.

solmama

I don't know about width on the Recaros, but the seat sits up on a very tall base, and has wings, so it can be difficult to get kids in and out (especially in a sedan).

jheimes

I am in Northeast Nebraska, just south of the river separating NE and SD and about 1 hour west of Sioux City.
I'd like to stay away from the Recaro because of it being so tall on the base. That was the reason I went with the Radian (it sat low and was easy to get her into RF). I do know that the Recaro fit next to the SS1 when I tried it out from a baby store.
I may have to call around and see if any of the Walmarts/Targets around here carry the TruFit. Anybody know if they will let me test it in my car or return it if it doesn't fit.
I heard that there was another TruFit coming out soon that was not the antirebound bar one. Is there any truth to that?
Do the Marathon's sit up as high as the Recaro?
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Anybody know if there is a height restriction on RF in a Radian. I think DS is in 2nd from top slots (just even with her shoulders). Head is a ways down from top yet. I can use these slots and still RF right. I'm going to see if I can find the manual.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The height restriction on the Radian is the same as on other rear facing convertibles. Less than 1" of hard shell above their heads. Most kids will hit 35 pounds long before they get to that point, though. Even Piper. She rear faced for a few days in her Radian just after her fifth birthday. She still had at least three torso inches to go, if not more.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC