Anyone have pics of a 5lbs nb in a 29" Snugride?

mykidsmylife

It just dawned on me that Seth's Snugride was a 26" Snugride. So it was shorter then the ones I have now for River.
Seth was 4lbs 13ozs and fit great in his seat. But I hear that most babies at 5lbs dont fit well in the 29" Snugride.
Does someone have pics? I need to know just in case. I tend to have small babies anyways so even if you have a 6.5 lbs baby in one.

Here is Seth in his at 4lbs 13ozs.

Cominghomefromthehospital.jpg

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I wonder if the Gracopedic foam has anything to do w/ how well small babies fit. I know that it supposedly takes away about 1" of growth room when outgrowing the seat. So, it might actually help lift a baby up so it fits better.

mybabysmomma

This is not the greatest picture at all but it is the only one I have :(. He was 5 pounds, 2 ounces at the time and I don't think the seat fit him well at all. I wasn't expecting to have a baby that small so I didn't prepare any better.

You can't really tell in this pic, but the harness slot is above his shoulders-- the head support thing is actually about an inch above his head so that can give you some kind of idea how high the harness slots were above his shoulders. Granted, he is pretty squished down in the seat but still, he should not have been riding in it because the fit was pretty bad. I don't think the seat fit him better until he was over 6 pounds, but he's still all legs, lol!

IMG_0675.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a picture, but my cousin's fit terrible in the snugride at 5 and 6 pounds. (they were born and 3 and 4 pounds). THey didn't fit right till 8 pounds. (they have small torso's though) and still have a few inches in them at almost a year old.

If my scanner was working I would scan logan's pic in. He was in a snugride coming home and he was 6 pounds when he came home, but TINY TINY torso-he didn't fit right in the snugride till a month old(I just noticed from pics)! YIKES!

mykidsmylife

I think now I am even more annoyed I got rid of Seths Snugride. I would have NO concerns if I had that one still. Ugh!

Well hopefully River will stick it out to the end and come out fitting okay. We will see what happens at my next appt though.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I wouldn't look at it that way. It looks like Seth had a really long torso. THe other babies posted have really short torsos. You can tell by how much harness is on the chest, kwim?

Lea_Ontario

Nope.

But I did have a pair of under 6lb twins come into a clinic last weekend in SafeSeats. HORRIBLE fit.

mykidsmylife

I always thought Seth had a short torso. LOL.
He was in micro-preemie clothes for 2 weeks. He was 19.5" long as well.

I guess we will just have to see what happens.

Yeah there was no way I would get the SafeSeats for my NB's. They are just way to small for them. Seth still fits in a SafeSeat at 35" with room to grow.

mybabysmomma

My son was 18.5 inches at birth and I was just looking at some of his newborn pictures and I'm pretty sure his torso was around 7 inches because it looks like it was about an inch shorter than my hand. His forearm was the size of my thumb, not that that matters, lol! But man he was so small to me. I still can't believe they let me bring him home less than 2 days after he was born.

AAFES.com has keyfits and I'm sure you can find a coupon code for at least 10% off. You could also check that babies1st site to see if they have something reasonably priced and could get it to you fast if you are really reconsidering the snugride.

On a side note, I read a lot of multiples boards because I'm pregnant with twins and it seriously frightens me how many moms say LOVE their safeseats for their 5lb twins or they are getting safeseats for their twins. I can say they probably won't fit until I'm blue in the face but everyone wants to be able to snap the seats into the stroller-- the safety doesn't seem to matter, as long as you can get the dang seats into a stroller. :(

mykidsmylife

It looks like your son was really scrunched down in the pic. I am pretty sure Seths seat and the one you have are the same.

I think Seth was just sitting back that is why he fit so well. LOL. He really needed that blanket between his crotch and the crotch buckle.

I am going to talk with my Dr next Friday about all that is going on. If he feels the same as the other dr. I will either get a new seat or look into a European seat since I could get it immediatly.

Ugh! This is such a pain in the arse. Watch, all this worry and she is gonna come out full term and 8lbs.

henrietta

The Safety First On Board is around $120 and it is rated from 4 lbs and up and actually fits small babies, so it's an alternative to the KeyFit.

hths Best wishes w/your pregnancy! I was where you are 7-8 months ago and had baby at 35 weeks weighing 6 lbs. :)

henrietta

mybabysmomma

It looks like your son was really scrunched down in the pic. I am pretty sure Seths seat and the one you have are the same.

I think Seth was just sitting back that is why he fit so well. LOL. He really needed that blanket between his crotch and the crotch buckle.

I am going to talk with my Dr next Friday about all that is going on. If he feels the same as the other dr. I will either get a new seat or look into a European seat since I could get it immediatly.

Ugh! This is such a pain in the arse. Watch, all this worry and she is gonna come out full term and 8lbs.

Yeah, mine wasn't ready to be born at all and spent the better part of his first 4 weeks in the fetal position. It was nearly impossible to uncurl him.

I *love* that snugride pattern and I'm sad we won't be using it this time. It is a perfectly good seat but I am not comfortable planning on using any of the gracos for these 2 babies. I don't think I will make it past 36 weeks, and I don't grow very big babies, although like you said, because of all this prep for premies, they will probably be full term and at least 7lbs each (Lord help me!! LOL!)

I'd go European carseat shopping just for the heck of it ;) I really wish our Px would sell decent seats. I've been writing to aafes about the lack of good seats in the stores, but noone cares. For having the largest and newest Px in Europe, we should at least carry good seats!

flutie128

On a side note, I read a lot of multiples boards because I'm pregnant with twins and it seriously frightens me how many moms say LOVE their safeseats for their 5lb twins or they are getting safeseats for their twins. I can say they probably won't fit until I'm blue in the face but everyone wants to be able to snap the seats into the stroller-- the safety doesn't seem to matter, as long as you can get the dang seats into a stroller. :(

Aren't safeseats also cheaper? That might help the decision as well.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Not really, my SS1 was on clearance for $135. Albeebaby.com usually has cheaper ones. The problem is the Keyfits that are so highly reccomended for small babies and twins, don't fit in to the double snap and go strollers which are highly reccomended by every twin mom I know. :( So people just assume they'll get a different one. The one twin mom I know started coming to the Y when her babies were 4 mos old and they were finally fitting in their SR20s. The first problem was they had the straps on the farthest setting so the straps were HUGE, you can imagine what they looked like when they left the hospital. It amazes me that nurses can let them leave that way, yikes!

I have a pic of Ilana in the SR22 at 6#13oz, that's the smallest I have.

SPJ&E

I've got one of Joshua in his at 6 lbs. 3 oz. and 19" long. He fit well, but if he had been any smaller, he wouldn't have. The straps were as tight as they would possibly go and the chestclip could not be moved (it was like a whole body clip). I think (but don't remember for sure) that the bottom slots were a bit above his shoulders.

DSCN02372.jpg

Shanora

Cordelia was 6.7lbs and fit her SS1 horribly when I brought her home....I had to make it fit her....cause I didn't have anything else. But she was almost choaking on the chest clip. The fleece suit I had her in helped with the fit a little bit...but its also thin...so the straps still tightened the way they were supposed too.

She is JUST starting to fit it better now...and she is 9.2lbs.

I wish the Keyfit 30 was here in Canada...cause that would have fit her SOO much better.
(She was 6.1 here in this picture) - Photo is clickable

mybabysmomma

Aren't safeseats also cheaper? That might help the decision as well.

You know, I don't think I've really ever heard someone mention the price. They all seem to talk about fitting it in the snap n go, like the PP said. All of the "cute covers" seem to be a big deciding factor too.

I also really don't think that most people realize there are min weight/ height requirements because an "infant seat" is for an infant, KWIM? Kind of like a one size fits all thing.

kate4478

I have some pics of my DS in a SR. I'll post pics when I get home. He did not fit well in it. We had a companion and he fits much better in it. he was 4lb 10 oz, 18" when we brought him home. With a very short torso! He's 21 months & 21 lbs and it just even with the bottom slot on the RA & MA.

flutie128

You know, I don't think I've really ever heard someone mention the price. They all seem to talk about fitting it in the snap n go, like the PP said. All of the "cute covers" seem to be a big deciding factor too.

I also really don't think that most people realize there are min weight/ height requirements because an "infant seat" is for an infant, KWIM? Kind of like a one size fits all thing.

I guess everyone has their own ideas. I first look at how much to spend and then decide what to buy. I do like how I can snap the seat onto my stroller if DD was sleeping. If I had twins that would help a lot. I can't imagine carrying 2 seat with kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC