Question Radian Super Cool fabric

jenspends

Hi all,

I purchased a Radian 65 last night, only to find out that the "Champagne" color is backordered. I want the new seat in time for a trip on April 11th, and I'm waiting to find out if it would arrive by then. I was offered a "Granite" instead, but I don't like the look as much.

They also have the Radian 80 in "Super Cool". That's the seat I originally wanted (for some reason it looks better to me than the Granite), but I talked myself out of it because people said that velcro on the harness can snag the fabric. I can get a pretty good deal on the Radian 80, so I'm not afraid of the extra cost...I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with that fabric.

Thanks,
Jennifer

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Some people find it snaggy, some people don't. I will tell you that if it's a newer seat, they no longer put velcro on the harness so it won't be there to snag, it would only be velcro on your child's shoes/clothes.

FWIW, I have both Granite and Champagne 65s and while both look better in person I like the color of the Granite a LOT better than the Champagne in person. So if you've only ever seen them online, be aware they're a little different than they can look online.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
We have a Super Cool cover on our Radian 80 and haven't experienced the snagging problem, but seem to be more in the minority on that front, as others have complained about snagging/pilling of the Super Cool's mesh material. We also used to have a Radian 65 with the granite cover and had no problems or complaints with that cover, either. The Radian 80 and Radian 65 have the same dimensions and shoulder harness slot heights, FWIW, and both tend to be outgrown by height before the child maxes them out by weight. I'd only consider purchasing the 80 if you're getting a really good deal comparable to the price of the Radian 65. That's pretty much how we ended up with a Radian 80 when we purchased a second Radian. The Radian 80 was on sale at the time for about the same price as the Radian 65. :)

jenspends

Thanks for the feedback. I have a mostly tan interior, which is why I was thinking Champagne...but maybe the Granite would be ok - my car has grey accents. I'm probably being ridiculous getting all caught up in looks, but when I spend a lot of money I like to make sure it's what I really want :) I wish I could see some real-life photos of the Champagne!

I didn't realize they don't have the velcro anymore. I guess that's good since it doesn't snag anything, but I've always been annoyed with not being able to fix the straps anywhere while taking baby in or out of a seat - it sounded like a nice feature, at least in theory. I've ruined many things in the wash due to velcro on baby items though, so good riddance I guess.

I can get a good deal on the Radian 80, but it would be $28 more than the 65, so maybe I should try talking myself into Granite. I could get the cushions too, and still be less than the 80. On the other hand, I'm thinking "only $28 more to get what I really wanted in the first place!" Ugh, I'm so tormented :p

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I love our SuperCool and don't find it snagging really. A few tiny spots here or there where the velcro from shoes/boots hit the seat, but hardly noticeable... the velcro from the straps have never snagged our seat.

I find the SuperCool to be quite a bit more comfy than the Granite... more padded (we used to own a Granite) and I like having the pillows that came with the seat. We use the body pillow as a toddler head pillow now and DS likes it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If it's a $30 difference and what you really want, do it. Maybe see if you can find a code to bring it down even more?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm a SuperCool hater. :eek: Ours snagged and caught on almost anything. We replaced the cover with a Granite and I haven't been happier. :thumbsup:

I find the SuperCool to be quite a bit more comfy than the Granite... more padded

Ironically, I've found the opposite. Maybe because our Granite cover is newer and hasn't compressed yet (although it's probably a year old now,) but I would say our Granite cover is much cushier than our SuperCool.

Obviously, different people have differing opinions, lol. :)

NannyMom

We just got our 80 in SuperCool and I already hate it. But, I don't think it will be used often.

natalie77

I have had the supercool since September and very very few teeny tiny snags but that was from shoes. It is more cushy than the 65's to me and that is one reason I got it. We Love It!

jenspends

I ended up going with the Super Cool... I had talked myself down to a 65, but then it ended up being out of stock when I went to order. I need it in time for a trip in April, so I just went with the 80 for a little bit more money. I guess if the fabric really starts getting ratty, we'll just purchase a different cover eventually. I try to avoid velcro (I've ruined too many other things with it), so hopefully it will stay nice.

Thanks for your help, everyone - I really appreciate it! Can't wait to see the seat in a few days!

p.s. I ordered from Hip Monkey, because there is a 5% off coupon out there (I don't know the rules, so I won't post it here just in case) and they had the Radians on sale. Best deal I found anywhere. I'm very impressed with their customer service too! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC