Stop by your local firestation for a car seat installation?

Vicki J

I just about fell over. I am watching TLC (17 & Counting!) and there was just a commercial saying that nearly 99% of car seats are installed correctly. Then it said to stop by your local fire station to have the car seat put in correctly. Are there really very many firemen/women that are car seat techs? That seems like misleading information to me.:thumbsdown:

Vicki

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It depends on the area. Here we have NO firefighters who are techs. Some areas have one in every station. Unfortunately, instead of sending people on to techs, the firefighters in many station houses will try to install the seat (often wrong or giving bad information) even if they aren't techs. I think they should want to avoid that liability but I guess they don't think of that?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The installation percentage isn't that bad. It's something like 80%. But there's a 96-98% misuse rate.

The fire stations in my area in NC that had techs had to have one per shift. But not all stations did, and they'd send you away if they didn't. Were they good techs? Nope. I redid a lot of their work. Some of it fatal (16 layers of shelf lining and a rigged up top tether for a 3 in 1 the kid had outgrown by torso height. It may have been recalled as well, I can't remember now).

They said that during the Duggar's show?? The WORST family on TV when it comes to carseats? Love it. Have they been? They've got about 100% misuse and misinstallation on their show. Granted, they're an unusual situation, but last I saw they were using what had to be expired OHS with kids too young forward facing and the straps were too loose on everyone. Not to mention it was a bus with short seats so NO ONE who was out of a carseat was adequate, and I think they had lap belts only (I know, it's a bus, but still....). I'd fall over and die if they pulled into a check. I would seriously be about three hours in their bus, fixing everything. Or buying them new seats. Though I'm sure they can afford new ones now.

Now Jon and Kate, give them kudos on their seats. Nautiluses and Radians. But the Duggars? So glad they mentioned taking seats to get checked. Even if just someone finds a tech who fixes just one problem, so much the better. Hopefully, though, there won't be more people who are being told something wrong and making the overall situation worse.

Wendy

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
99.9999999999% misuse in our area, when I became a tech. Not a lot of firefighters that are techs in our area. 2 in Rickreall (DH and I), 2 in Dallas, but they really don't do a lot, and 1 in Keizer, none in Salem.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Isn't there misuse in that commercial? An older infant bucket w/ the paperclip style chest clip and a big massive white aftermarket headrest?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They said that during the Duggar's show?? The WORST family on TV when it comes to carseats? Love it. Have they been? They've got about 100% misuse and misinstallation on their show. Granted, they're an unusual situation, but last I saw they were using what had to be expired OHS with kids too young forward facing and the straps were too loose on everyone. Not to mention it was a bus with short seats so NO ONE who was out of a carseat was adequate, and I think they had lap belts only (I know, it's a bus, but still....). I'd fall over and die if they pulled into a check. I would seriously be about three hours in their bus, fixing everything. Or buying them new seats. Though I'm sure they can afford new ones now.

Now Jon and Kate, give them kudos on their seats. Nautiluses and Radians. But the Duggars? So glad they mentioned taking seats to get checked. Even if just someone finds a tech who fixes just one problem, so much the better. Hopefully, though, there won't be more people who are being told something wrong and making the overall situation worse.

Wendy

They're a little better than that now. I haven't seen the OHS in a while. I think I even saw a few that were ALMOST used correctly. But I know what you're saying. ;)

Vicki J

So right, Wendy! I've even emailed the Duggers about the seats!! I don't know about the commercial, only caught a glimpse of it when I heard that. I only remember the Duggers taking a test drive with Jinger and the car seat in the back FLYING all over the place. And when they all went on vacation and the baby was in a pastel infant seat from about 1985! Please, somebody help them!!
I just saw Michelle take off with about 7 kids in the car and saw NO seats and everybody just hanging out. Is that normal in Arkansas? Obviously not a priority! I don't think affording the seats is a problem at all.

Vicki

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They don't view car seats as a priority in their family, obviously. (People have contacted them in the past and they politely but firmly responded that "God will keep them safe" or something like that, I believe.) That's sad but many, many families don't. AR is a 6 or 60 state, apparently, and also has a proper use clause, so no, it may not be legal. It may be worth it to very politely contact them pointing out that they are breaking the law. That is something they might listen to. They are very nice people (I've corresponded with them before), this is just not something they "get", like so many other people.

Kat_Momof3

it depends on your area... here, the only permanent check station/fitting station is a local AAA (which honestly I think works better as you don't have to worry about blocking an emergency vehicle, let alone blocking the ONE driveway that said firetruck has to exit through in the event it is needed)

Ironically, though, I didn't even know there was such a thing around here, till they had a big free check awhile back and it was on the ad.

But anyway... each area is different and I think it would have been better to tell them all to contact Safekids... and give the website and contact info for that.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Are there really very many firemen/women that are car seat techs? That seems like misleading information to me.:thumbsdown:

Like everyone else said, it depends on the area. In the Anchorage area, every fire station is a fitting station, which means there are 2 techs on duty every day. In the area there are 140 firepeople who are also CPSTs :thumbsup:. Of course that doesn't mean they are all great techs, since I just had a firefighter brand-new dad bring in a carseat with all kinds of aftermarket crud on it, insisting since he was a tech he knew what was ok. :rolleyes: He must have been sleeping through his class, because the instructors up here are awesome :love:

freqflyer

I saw the OHS car seat on 17 kids and counting (the Duggar's latest show)last night. I immediately thought of all of you.

fyrfightermomma

Depends on the area. Every fire department in probably a 50 mile radius here has one (and there are probably 25-50 fire departments)

Yet go about 50 miles north, and I don't think there are any in a 200 mile radius :) It just depends.

The commerical should have directed people to a website to check for a tech at a fire house in their area, not just "stop by". If they stopped by, an innocent firefighter who is NOT trained may feel badly he can't help and help anyways

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The commerical should have directed people to a website to check for a tech at a fire house in their area, not just "stop by". If they stopped by, an innocent firefighter who is NOT trained may feel badly he can't help and help anyways

I agree, I hear of that a lot here. :( And they can give out some really WONKY advice sometimes. There are so few techs around here it's hard to find one even if you know where to look sometimes, though.

fyrfightermomma

They're a little better than that now. I haven't seen the OHS in a while. I think I even saw a few that were ALMOST used correctly. But I know what you're saying. ;)

Yeah they are better now. Most kids are in Summits, no OHS or expired ones I think. Some 3 in 1's. The last two babies were in current snugrides. While no where near good, it's a huge improvement!

MustangMama

You used the word correctly in both sentences so your original post doesn't make sense.

Just wanted to let you know :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC