Can't get LATCH belt tight enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

covigirl

I have two convertible car seats, both currently FF, an Evenflo (1 year old) and a Safety 1st (3 1/2 years old). [Ages are of the car seats, not of the children who sit in the seats.] I don't know the specific model names, but they were both bottom of the line.

With the Evenflo, I can almost get the LATCH belt tight enough, but it is tightened all the way to the stitching and won't go any tighter. The Safety 1st still has some slack when I'm kneeling in the seat and I cannot make it tighten all the way. I've tried all sorts of ways of pulling on it and pulling while pressing the release button (which is how I get it to that point), but it just will not tighten anymore. There isn't stitching to keep it from tightening anymore, like the other one. When I'm out of the seat, it can move about 1/2 inch from side to side. The other seat, I can usually get to not move at all or move less than 1/4 inch side to side. I have also had struggles with getting a good LATCH install on the base of my Graco Snugride infant seat, which I will be needing again in five months.

If I have LATCH in my car, is it ok with install with the seat belt since I can't get the LATCH belt tight enough? My current car doesn't have locking seat belts, so when I've used the seat belts, I've needed a locking clip (which makes installation a breeze if it's already set up). With the locking clip or in cars with locking seat belts, I can get a much tighter install, with no movement from side to side in either seat. I will soon be getting a car with locking seat belts, and I want to make sure that it will be ok to use them instead of LATCH.

ADS

ame0312

seat belt is just fine... latch is just supposed to be easier... i dont find that the case lots of times... what year is your vehicle? all vehicles since 96 are require to have locking seat belts... check your manual in regards to that... hth!

Pixels

If the seat moves side to side less than an inch, and front to back less than an inch, you do have a good install. I understand wanting it tighter, but it's not a requirement.

Yes, you can use the seatbelt instead of LATCH. You don't have to use a locking clip. If your vehicle is new enough to have LATCH, it's new enough to have belts that lock, either at the latchplate, or more likely, by switching the retractor. To switch it, pull the belt all the way out, then let it go part way back in. If you try to pull it out again, it won't, because it's locked.

Stretchy Glue

One thing I've noticed about LATCH straps is that the angle you pull the end from makes a big difference. If you are pulling out away from the car seat, you usually can't get it to tighten enough, instead, you need to pull TOWARDS the car seat, if possible, thread the end back through the belt path and pull from that direction. Almost always makes a big difference!

jewlsvern

If you have an Evenflo Triumph advance I would recommend just pushing on the side of the seat just a tad as you pull the belt towards the car seat. That little bit is usually what I need to get it rock solid. Also if you can recline you seat before you install and then put it back up it helps also.

covigirl

seat belt is just fine... latch is just supposed to be easier... i dont find that the case lots of times... what year is your vehicle? all vehicles since 96 are require to have locking seat belts... check your manual in regards to that... hth!
That's interesting, because the vehicle in question is a 2004. I guess I need to go look at the manual! If the belts are locking, then it must be latchplate, because I've tried pulling them out all the way, and they don't lock that way. I've used a seat belt in the past that locked at the latchplate, and it just didn't feel as secure to me.:confused:

Stretchy Glue and jewlsvern, I have tried pulling toward the seat, even threading it back through (on the Safety 1st), and if I'm in the seat, I can't get leverage to pull it so nothing happens when I pull. If I'm out of the seat, there is no apparent slack, so it won't tighten either. When I get my new car, I think I'll just forget about LATCH (still using the rear tether, of course).

I did some searching, and it looks like I have the Evenflo Tribute. I don't think they still sell the Safety 1st model, but it is a convertible that can go from RF to FF to booster, 5-80 lbs.

Stretchy Glue

That's interesting, because the vehicle in question is a 2004. I guess I need to go look at the manual! If the belts are locking, then it must be latchplate, because I've tried pulling them out all the way, and they don't lock that way. I've used a seat belt in the past that locked at the latchplate, and it just didn't feel as secure to me.:confused:

Stretchy Glue and jewlsvern, I have tried pulling toward the seat, even threading it back through (on the Safety 1st), and if I'm in the seat, I can't get leverage to pull it so nothing happens when I pull. If I'm out of the seat, there is no apparent slack, so it won't tighten either. When I get my new car, I think I'll just forget about LATCH (still using the rear tether, of course).

I did some searching, and it looks like I have the Evenflo Tribute. I don't think they still sell the Safety 1st model, but it is a convertible that can go from RF to FF to booster, 5-80 lbs.

Please note the bolded section. I just want to clarify because the wording is a bit confusing. Both of the seats you have do not allow for rear facing teather, therefore you secure the tether until you turn the seat to FF, then you will use the top tether. I'm pretty sure that's what you're doing, but for a newbie popping into this thread, it might sound confusing.;)

covigirl

Yep, thanks for pointing that out. In my OP, I mentioned that they are both currently FF, so I thought that would be clear enough. I thought that the rear tether was part of LATCH, but maybe it's only the lower tethers?

Stretchy Glue

Yep, thanks for pointing that out. In my OP, I mentioned that they are both currently FF, so I thought that would be clear enough. I thought that the rear tether was part of LATCH, but maybe it's only the lower tethers?

LATCH stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren. You can use LATCH rf, but for most seats, without the top tether.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think calling it the 'rear tether' makes a little more sense than our typically calling it the 'top tether'... since it's rarely at the 'top' of the car, but is usually somewhere 'rear' of the carseat :D

Anyway, you're good, use the seatbelt and top tether for a good install, you probably have locking latchplates, which should hold tight on their own, but if they don't, you can unbuckle it, twist it half a twist and then rebuckle it to keep it tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC