2009 town and country only 3 Tether anchors need 4

ADS

Roadie73

So even though they're apparently part of the seat, we shouldn't use them :confused:

Wish I was still working for Chrysler so I could call someone to find out for certain :( I still might, once they're all back in the office next week...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Sorry - meant to say we're tethering a FF seat (Britax marathon), located on the passenger side 40% in the 3rd row, with the tether over the seat to the center tether (the only one we could find originally) on the rear seat (60%).

We're not very comfortable with it, which is why I was looking here to see if there was another solution. It looked like we'd need 2 of the tether straps to provide ff tethers, until we found out about the "hiddden" loops. So that takes care of the driver's (60%) side. Based on what I've read / seen here, we'll still need one tether strap to provide an acceptable anchor for the 40% seat - correct?

Yeah, I don't think that those loops are approved. Dealerships often don't know what they're talking about in this area.

Using the center anchor for a passenger side seat is not okay either.

You do need to order the extra parts if you want to tether back there.

In the mean time you need to either use the seat untethered (which I don't recommend), move it center, or put up the second row seats and use it tethered there.

Roadie73

We'll be buying at least one tether, and asking the dealership about the 60% loops. I'm also going to try and get an offical answer out of Chrysler, but that might take a while.

I'll post up anything I find out.

APT

I posted some info relating to tethering additional seats in the 3rd row of Chrysler/Dodge Stow and Go minivans prior to registering. I do not understand why using the metal part that holds the actual seat is any less secure than using a tether to the bolt that hold this same part. Also, is tethering FF supplemental, even if required by certain seats/countries?

The pictures were all for experimentation only, as the seat was moved back to a captain chair. DC3 was born about 4 weeks ago, so the Regent is again installed using LA and tether in the OEM 70% side until she nears the 48# limit. Oh, recline bar also attached.

Roadie73

Some futher details about the 09 T&C..

Came home and had my wife show me yet another 'hidden' anchor - it's behind the plastic cover (that has the grocery hook) on the 40% side:

attachment.php

This was shown to her by the dealership, and their explaination is that these loops are there to address the lack of tether loops on the earlier stow 'n' go vans.

I'm assuming that this is another loop that is in the vehicle (similar to those hidden in the fold of the 60%), but not recommended as a FF tether attachment?
In comparing this loop to either those on the rear of the captain's chairs or the 'obvious' tether on the back of the 60%, it feels 'thinner'.

I'm even more confused now :confused:

I'd love to be able to use these loops, but don't want to risk it. I'd also prefer not to spent $300 for two straps, but it is for the kids...

APT

That picture didn't work. Maybe just blocked from my work. I wonder if Chrysler changed them for 2009. The pictures from some Ebay auctions for 2009 T&C look the same as my 2008 model. I'll have to pop off those covers tonight on mine.

Roadie73

I had a closer look at the rear seat of the T&C yesterday, and in better light it looks like the two 'hidden' anchor loops on the 60% seat are actually the lower LATCH loops for the center seat postion on the 3rd row - since the two car seats in the back are on the outboard sides and we're using the seatbelts, so the LATCH anchor furthest to the drivers side could then be used...

I'm still not convinced on the loop on the 40% side that was under the grocery bag cover - the loop's wire doesn't appear the same size as the 'offical' LATCH loops. :confused:

Thinking about it, I'll most likely get the offical tether straps refered to earlier, and install everything properly.

picklesmama

Some futher details about the 09 T&C..

Came home and had my wife show me yet another 'hidden' anchor - it's behind the plastic cover (that has the grocery hook) on the 40% side:

This was shown to her by the dealership, and their explaination is that these loops are there to address the lack of tether loops on the earlier stow 'n' go vans.

I'm assuming that this is another loop that is in the vehicle (similar to those hidden in the fold of the 60%), but not recommended as a FF tether attachment?
In comparing this loop to either those on the rear of the captain's chairs or the 'obvious' tether on the back of the 60%, it feels 'thinner'.

I'm even more confused now :confused:

I'd love to be able to use these loops, but don't want to risk it. I'd also prefer not to spent $300 for two straps, but it is for the kids...
Are you talking about the LATCH loops? You CAN access them from behind the seat through where the seat back meets the seat. I have NO idea if they can be safely used in this manner, I just took these pics to see if that's what you are talking about, as I have a 2007 T&C and am also in need of more tethering loops:

This is the right LATCH loop from the rear
LATCHloop1.jpg

This is the left LATCH loop from the rear
LATCHloop2.jpg

This is how it would look if you used the right LATCH loop as a top tethering loop (this is just for show, my seat is not being used in this manner)
LATCHloop4show.jpg

I am interested in this thread, I cross the border into Canada frequently to visit friends & family and need to have more than one FF Radian in my back seat, and am considering a Radian XT in the place of the TurboBooster as well, I'd like to either get that part mentioned in this thread, and also find out if the LATCH loops can be safely used as a tethering loop because then I'd only need to buy 1....

Nena2007

What three seats are you using there that fit all in the back?

Are you talking about the LATCH loops? You CAN access them from behind the seat through where the seat back meets the seat. I have NO idea if they can be safely used in this manner, I just took these pics to see if that's what you are talking about, as I have a 2007 T&C and am also in need of more tethering loops:

This is the right LATCH loop from the rear
LATCHloop1.jpg

This is the left LATCH loop from the rear
LATCHloop2.jpg

This is how it would look if you used the right LATCH loop as a top tethering loop (this is just for show, my seat is not being used in this manner)
LATCHloop4show.jpg

I am interested in this thread, I cross the border into Canada frequently to visit friends & family and need to have more than one FF Radian in my back seat, and am considering a Radian XT in the place of the TurboBooster as well, I'd like to either get that part mentioned in this thread, and also find out if the LATCH loops can be safely used as a tethering loop because then I'd only need to buy 1....

picklesmama

What three seats are you using there that fit all in the back?
They are a Disney Princess Graco TurboBooster, Princess Radian 80 and SuperCool Radian 80,.
3across1.jpg

The TurboBooster is hard for my daughter to buckle herself though because you have to reach in between the seats, although it is easier now than when I had her older brother's TurboBooster on the other side of the middle Radian.
3across1BoosterSqueeze.jpg
3across2BoostersSqueeze.jpg

3 Radians fit across easy-peasy, however you have the tethering issue, so for now my 6 year old will stay in the TurboBooster and if we solve the tether problem I may get her a Radian XT - which has the same width as the Radian 80 so should fit just fine.

T

tharms

I have a 2007 Grand Caravan and the parts worked just great. The strap is bolted right to the frame and the car seats will not budge. We installed two straps, one on the left most seat bolt and one on the left bolt for right-hand 40% seat.

For those of you in the Vancouver area I got the parts through Carter Dodge in Burnaby (Willingdon & Lougheed). They go for roughly $150 a piece. It took about 5-10 minutes a strap to install.

The part you want to order is 05015403AA. That is a kit that includes 05015405AA and that part is the only part I needed.

lgenne

I think the only legal option for you right now is to rear face one of the younger twins passenger side 3rd row. There are very few car seats that work there, but the Cosco Scenera NEXT does. It only works to 40 pounds and 40 inches, which would buy you enough time for your older twins to gain a year and a couple of pounds. At that point, you can put the twins in belt positioning boosters in the 3rd row.

Edit: this post sat half composed for a couple of hours. If Chrysler has approved a part for adding a 4th tether anchor, I'd love to see details!

featherhead

I think the only legal option for you right now is to rear face one of the younger twins passenger side 3rd row. There are very few car seats that work there, but the Cosco Scenera NEXT does. It only works to 40 pounds and 40 inches, which would buy you enough time for your older twins to gain a year and a couple of pounds. At that point, you can put the twins in belt positioning boosters in the 3rd row.

Edit: this post sat half composed for a couple of hours. If Chrysler has approved a part for adding a 4th tether anchor, I'd love to see details!

(Psst... This thread is from 2009... I'm guessing all her kids are in boosters by now [emoji4])

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C3_Mom

I've received inquiries over the years about some links that no longer work. Here is a photo of the instruction sheet that I received from a dealer in Canada. And some photos of the tether. I hope this helps. In 2018, I mailed the tether to a mom in Alabama who contacted me through this forum. It had been sitting in a drawer in my garage for years; I was happy it found a new home. Maybe it's sitting in her garage drawer now...

Tether Install Instructions.jpg

Tether 1.jpg

Tether 2.jpg

Tether 3.jpg

Edited to Add: As I mentioned in my posts back in 2009, the installation sheet was for the Durango. But the seats were same/similar as the Town & Country; so everyone at the time (dealerships, me, husband, etc.) decided it was safe to use on the T&C. And the handwriting on the installation sheet was put there by someone at Chrysler before it reached the dealer who, in turn, faxed it to me - the numbers refer to T&C models. You may recall (if you're old enough like me) that Chrysler was going through massive restructuring/layoffs during that time.

Last edited:

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Thank you very much! Would you be willing to email STRAP.pdf to me at webmaster@car-seat.org please? For some reason the forum is having an issue displaying this file for me.

I've received inquiries over the years about some links that no longer work. Here is a photo of the instruction sheet that I received from a dealer in Canada. And some photos of the tether. I hope this helps. In 2018, I mailed the tether to a mom in Alabama who contacted me through this forum. It had been sitting in a drawer in my garage for years; I was happy it found a new home. Maybe it's sitting in her garage drawer now...

Threeiscompany

If anyone has one of these straps (part #05015403AA) they no longer need or could see themselves not needing in the future please let me know. Or if you know where to source one from that would be great too. They seem to hard to come by.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC