2009 town and country only 3 Tether anchors need 4

C

C3 Mom

I found this Technical Safety Bulletin that references these parts (see link below). The numbers used in the post above are for the Durango (as one of the writers mentioned). In this bulletin, the part number for the Town & Country is different than Durango; but, who knows, the part may be identical; and just labeled differently because of the different model.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neontsbs/2000/23-08-00.pdf

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm pretty sure the part numbers for the 2000 Durango and 2009 T&C will be different -- the Durango is an official manufacturer's retrofit and the T&C (and other vehicles with factory-installed anchors) gets an aftermarket part "developed by Mopar".

C

C3 Mom

My local dealership is going to bring in part #05015403AA - cost $112 USD. The parts manager said he'd take a look at the part and documentation to see if it's going to work out for my 2009 T&C the way "twinbabies" describes in her message. What I'm not sure I'll be able to get is reassurance that this part is "authorized" for use in the 2009 T&C. I would really like to see that in writing; but the parts manager cannot find that citation in his computer or in the accessories catalog. I asked him if he can call someone at Chyrsler and he said, "there isn't anyone there...they all lost their jobs." He was serious/joking. In a nutshell, he said he'd need to talk to someone in engineering; but decided we'd bring in the part first and then he'll figure out if he needs to talk to the Chrysler people. His thought is if this part looks like a "no brainer" install, then his dealership will do it (which exposes them to liability; thus, he's motivated to make sure it's going to work). He speculated there is a possiblity that the paperwork simply hasn't been updated to include the 2009 because the people who do this sort of stuff have been laid off.

jnamommy

Would any of you that have ordered this piece please post a pic, or email me a pic of it? jobug79@fastq.com - I am almost ready to order this piece, but would just like to see a pic so I know that it will connect to my seat ok. thanks, and much appreciated

C

C3 Mom

My dealer just called and has the part. I'll post a picture when I get it installed. He described it as a nylon strap - on one end is a metal piece that will be bolted to the floor (via seat post) and other side is a metal ring (assuming where the tether attaches).

My dealer said the documentation references only the Durango.

I just spoke with Peter at North York because I wanted to know more about the documentation specific to the minivan (as referenced by a Mom earlier in this thread). Peter referred me to the 2005 Accessories manual for the Town & Country. Evidently, this part was offered in 2005; and, according to Peter, since then the seats are the same through 2009.

I'm going to call my dealer and ask him to pull that documentation so I can see it for myself and have piece of mind.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Please post photos of it here as well because there are numerous curious folks here who are really wanting to see it, along with a copy of any instructions you received from the dealership. :) You could upload photos to a free online photo hosting site like photobucket or flickr and then post the photo links here. :) You can also have more leeway to post photo or file attachments and/or use the forum's album feature if you register for a car-seat.org account.

C3_Mom

I registered as a car-seat.org member and have more functionality; but perhaps not enough to post photos. Maybe I have to wait a while longer (as I just registered a minute ago)? I see a method to post a URL; but I do not have a photo sharing site to refer to. I honestly don't have time to open an account with a photo website, etc. (work, three young kids, etc.). If someone can tell me how to post directly into this website, I can muster the patience to attempt that.

I have photos of this tether and the installation guide for a Town & Country.
I would be happy to e-mail this stuff to a registered user who can take it from there and post. Just let me know where to send it.

C3_Mom

I finally had a moment to figure out how to upload (and I hope it works on my first try). Here are two photos of the tether attachment. The strap is sitting on a standard 8-1/2" x 11" piece of paper (so you can get an idea of how big it is). I also enclosed a PDF file that contains the installation instructions for the the Town & Country. Thanks is owed to Peter at North York Chrysler in Toronto.

View attachment 4117

View attachment 4118

View attachment 4119

C3_Mom

A couple more comments that I neglected to include in my post with the pictures....

You'll notice handwriting on the PDF installation guide. I just sent an e-mail to Peter asking him who wrote those notes. I'm curious to know if they are his notes or if they came on the fax from Chrysler. When I originally contacted Peter, I asked him how he got his information. He told me that he spoke with both Chrysler's head office and their safety division. This jives with what "twinbabies" wrote in her post.

My parts manager told me that my 2009 T&C has the same body style as the 2008 T&C; thus, this part appears to be usable for the 2009 if we trust the handwritten notes. (I'm trusting that it's fine; and I've already purchsaed the part.)

Lastly, this installation guide seems to indicate, based on the handwritten notes and arrows, that two tethers can be installed in the 3rd row. I've also asked Peter to clarify if those particular notes were inserted by Chrysler.

I'll post an update when I get a response from Peter.

fishermom

Can anyone else see the pics that C3_Mom posted? It keeps telling me I am not authorized. I don't know if it because of the site, or my browser... The dealership has this part, and I would like to help them understand how it is supposed to work in the minivan.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Apologies for the inconvenience. You must confirm your email address by using the link in the email sent to you when you registered. Once your account is approved after that, you should be able to view photos.

twinbabies

I see that the part number has been posted here..the part i did get was
Part # 05015403AA
There is a separate instruction sheet telling you how toput it in your van and mine has the same hand written notes on as the other mom is discussing.
..if you or your husband is ableto use tools at all do not pay for install as it only took my hubby 15 minutes and was simple.
I saw a picture of the part but not of the install I will try to take those today and post them. We have been using this part now for over a month and are happy with the fit and functionality

twinbabies

A couple more comments that I neglected to include in my post with the pictures....

You'll notice handwriting on the PDF installation guide. I just sent an e-mail to Peter asking him who wrote those notes. I'm curious to know if they are his notes or if they came on the fax from Chrysler. When I originally contacted Peter, I asked him how he got his information. He told me that he spoke with both Chrysler's head office and their safety division. This jives with what "twinbabies" wrote in her post.

My parts manager told me that my 2009 T&C has the same body style as the 2008 T&C; thus, this part appears to be usable for the 2009 if we trust the handwritten notes. (I'm trusting that it's fine; and I've already purchsaed the part.)

Lastly, this installation guide seems to indicate, based on the handwritten notes and arrows, that two tethers can be installed in the 3rd row. I've also asked Peter to clarify if those particular notes were inserted by Chrysler.

I'll post an update when I get a response from Peter.

Those notes were not inserted by peter that is how it arrived from Chrysler as far as I have been informed

twinbabies

Here are somepictures of its attachment in the 3rd row ofmy van

Where we have attached it we are still able to use the tether anchor that can in the van and the Latch system..if instaled on the othersid you would not be able to us the latch system at all.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
This is very interesting stuff... thanks for sharing! :) Maybe we should add it to the Tether Anchor Pictorial?

Roadie73

Just joined this site ,and found this thread. I'm in the same situation - need two rf seats in the 3rd row now our twins are old / big enough. Big brother (3) is going back behind the driver (so he has a window), and the 2nd row passenger seats mostly in the floor for ease of access to the 3dr row.

Based on the advice in this thread, we were going to order 2 tethers to put into the 3rd row. When my wife called the dealership, they informed her tha there was actually two tether loops on the 60%. It took a bit of searching, but we found them :) From the rear door, they're right in the gap between the seat back and bottom (where it folds forward). I tried to get pictures, but the loops are kinda shy. I'll try again tomorrow.

One other question - we are currently using the center tether (the easily found one) with a rf seat in the passenger side - I'm assuming this is not the prefered way of attaching - so we might still need a tether. However, if using the original (middle) attachment works with a seat on the 40%, we can use it and one of the 'new' loops.

Thanks,

Nick

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I am confused-- are you saying you're using a center tether anchor for an outboard seat? If so, no, that's usually not approved or safe. The tether needs to be no more than 30 degrees off from centered once it's attached.

Roadie73

Sorry - meant to say we're tethering a FF seat (Britax marathon), located on the passenger side 40% in the 3rd row, with the tether over the seat to the center tether (the only one we could find originally) on the rear seat (60%).

We're not very comfortable with it, which is why I was looking here to see if there was another solution. It looked like we'd need 2 of the tether straps to provide ff tethers, until we found out about the "hiddden" loops. So that takes care of the driver's (60%) side. Based on what I've read / seen here, we'll still need one tether strap to provide an acceptable anchor for the 40% seat - correct?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC