2009 town and country only 3 Tether anchors need 4

twinbabies

the $180 part that attaches on the leg has come directly from the saftey departmet of Crhysler...but its 180$ then it has and install fee as well and I may need to have 2 done..it starts to add up..just loking for input really on that concept.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm not comfortable with that concept... I highly doubt the vehicle has gone through crash testing with it, or it would be an easy and readily available solution.

twinbabies

I'm not comfortable with that concept... I highly doubt the vehicle has gone through crash testing with it, or it would be an easy and readily available solution.

I am planning on going into talk to the tomorrow and read the information that Chrysler safety has sent to them. I will make sure to be asking about any crash test results for this part. but I am wondering if the bolt is ment to hold the weight of the seats and the pasangers on it..it should be able to hold the weight of the carseat pulling on it...or so i would hope

To be honest, unless shown documentation proving otherwise, I don't think they've done crash testing with the existing anchors. If not required by law, I doubt they do it. My guess is they did engineering work to figure out the load the anchor should be required to handle. THen, sent the specs off to the supplier and made it up to the supplier to ensure it could handle the spec loads. No actual crash testing done.

twinbabies

After speaking directly with the parts manager, service manager and chrysler directly they have provided a solution for me. The part that I have purchased is a Mopar part that was developed for the 2005 durango. The durango has the same rearseat platform as the minivans have had since chrysler introduced the stowand go platform. They ha ve been using this tether anchor strap attached directly into the frame of the van under the seat. this part came directly from chrysler(mopar) and had all of the appropriate documetation for the installation. Chrysler then provided me with more documentation specific to the minivans. As they ha ve said although they have changed their bodystyle the 3rd row seat platform did not change since the development of stow and go.
they have assured me appropriate testing has occured on this tether and after installing it this weekend and seeing exactly where it connects to my van I am very satisfied.
I now have 2 ff in the 3rd row bench and 1 each ff on the captains chairs.
when I locate where my husband has put the documentation i willpost the part number for anyone who is interested and attempt to post a photo of the tether strap installed.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd be interested to see the part number and pictures. My concern when reading quickly, it requires putting a lot of (ff) stress on a strap webbing. Might be adequate if it's like a seatbelt taking the load, might be not.

In addition, they have proper documentation on the part and installation of the part, but were they able to show you the test results of these straps/anchors when you said they assured you appropriate testing has occured? That's also where I'm leary until I see something concrete.

It's sort of like

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I would love to get a part number to present to my Chrysler dealership. We are going to run into this problem pretty soon and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do. I'm in the US and FF tethering isn't mandatory, so I wonder if this is something they are only offering to people in Canada.

twinbabies

I would love to get a part number to present to my Chrysler dealership. We are going to run into this problem pretty soon and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do. I'm in the US and FF tethering isn't mandatory, so I wonder if this is something they are only offering to people in Canada.

I had to purchase the part so I would assume it is availableto anyone. I went looking for the package and cant locate it. I will get my husband to find it tonight.

twinbabies

I'd be interested to see the part number and pictures. My concern when reading quickly, it requires putting a lot of (ff) stress on a strap webbing. Might be adequate if it's like a seatbelt taking the load, might be not.

The strap is much thicker then a seatbet material. I was impressed with it. it is also thicker then the actula tether on my carseats.

as to the crash test information I did not actually ask to see it so therefore they did not show it to me. but as I have seen posted many times on here the leg of a chair in a van/car is crash tested to the load of an adult male I am not concerned with it being bale to take the load of my child..as the tether strap is directly bolted to the floor via the leg of the third row bench.

C

C3 Mom

I would really like to get that part number if you have it. I need to put two FF on the rear bench in my 2009 T&C. Thank you.

jnamommy

I am also interested in the part number, as I have a 2005 T&C and also need an additional tether in the rear seat. PLease post when you can or email me directly. thanks!

twinbabies

I am currently on Vacation but will post when I get home.
For the person with the 02 T&C I think you have 3 tether anchors in the rear row as my 01 did and it was the same.
if you are in the toronto area ..North york Chrysler parts team has the information..They are awsome and took the time to find all this out for me!!

serabi

I am currently on Vacation but will post when I get home.
For the person with the 02 T&C I think you have 3 tether anchors in the rear row as my 01 did and it was the same.
if you are in the toronto area ..North york Chrysler parts team has the information..They are awsome and took the time to find all this out for me!!

no, unfortunately not. '01 was the last year:(

jnamommy

I called North York Chrysler this morning and spoke with Peter. He was wonderful! He remembered this situation, and gave me the part number - 05015403AA. Ironically, I had called my local dealer yesterday, and been given part number 5012007AB. I would like to find a pic of each part to see if they are thte same or what is different. So if anyone can figure out the difference in the two parts, that would be great. I am going ot order one of them and have it added to my '05 T&C.

C

C3 Mom

Thank you for posting the part number(s). I would really like to see pictures if anyone has some. I have a 2009 T&C and have been trying different seating configurations. I have a RF 6 month old in a Graco SnugRide in the third row; with his FF 2 yr old brother next to him. The other brother is FF 3.5 yr old in the second row on a stow and go seat. The other stow and go is stored in the floor. This configuration is just "okay". I don't like having to lug the infant seat all the way into the third row while crawling on my knees. I would like to put both older FF brothers in the third row; but have run into the problem of lack of second tether in 3rd row. Trying to decide whether to "splurge" on the part being discussed in this thread; or stick with my current configuration. Thank you to those who have done all the research on the part. (I also hate the fact that there is only one LATCH in the third row. My Graco SnugRide is looking lopsided and out of level since it is connected with the seat belt. It definitely needs a pool noodle and some more work.)

U

Unregistered

Yes, I would definitly be interested in seeing some photos, how it is attached, what it looks like from the back of the vehicle.

C

C3 Mom

I found the information below in another thread....it describes the differences between the part numbers referenced above.....

Jeanum01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi there again, just noticed you have a 2000 Durango. From what I can see listed for the 2000 Durango in the Dodge section of the 2007 LATCH manual, currently viewable online as an Adobe Acrobat file at http://www.saferidenews.com/SRNDNN/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=coTcX0Ktz/4=&tabid=54&mid=372 it looks like only the outboard second row seating positions are retrofittable with tether anchors, and no retrofit is available for the center. Just in case you haven't already had the outboard seating positions retrofitted, which should be done free of charge for you at a Dodge dealership, here's the specific part number and service bulletin number info.:

The tether anchor part number for each second row outboard position in the 2000 Durango with a 60/40 standard seat is 05015403AA.

The tether anchor part number for each second row outboard position in the 2000 Durango with a 40/20/40 split seat is 05012007AB.

You would need to refer the dealership to Chrysler Service Bulletin Number 23-008-00 Rev. B for free tether anchor retrofitting according to the LATCH manual. You're probably best off printing out the linked Dodge section of the LATCH manual to show the dealership because it lists that service bulletin number and also lists those specific outboard tether anchor part numbers for your Durango. Knowledge is power when it comes to retrofitting and getting the dealership on board, and having something official in writing from the LATCH manual has proven useful for other members. Good luck. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC