Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: 2009 town and country only 3 Tether anchors need 4

The 2009 LATCH manual does not list those loops as approved tether locations.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

So even though they're apparently part of the seat, we shouldn't use them

Wish I was still working for Chrysler so I could call someone to find out for certain I still might, once they're all back in the office next week...

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roadie73 View Post
    Sorry - meant to say we're tethering a FF seat (Britax marathon), located on the passenger side 40% in the 3rd row, with the tether over the seat to the center tether (the only one we could find originally) on the rear seat (60%).

We're not very comfortable with it, which is why I was looking here to see if there was another solution. It looked like we'd need 2 of the tether straps to provide ff tethers, until we found out about the "hiddden" loops. So that takes care of the driver's (60%) side. Based on what I've read / seen here, we'll still need one tether strap to provide an acceptable anchor for the 40% seat - correct?
    Yeah, I don't think that those loops are approved. Dealerships often don't know what they're talking about in this area.

Using the center anchor for a passenger side seat is not okay either.

You do need to order the extra parts if you want to tether back there.

In the mean time you need to either use the seat untethered (which I don't recommend), move it center, or put up the second row seats and use it tethered there.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

I don't know. I would ask the dealer if they are approved tether locations or something someone figured might work well enough.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

We'll be buying at least one tether, and asking the dealership about the 60% loops. I'm also going to try and get an offical answer out of Chrysler, but that might take a while.

I'll post up anything I find out.

I posted some info relating to tethering additional seats in the 3rd row of Chrysler/Dodge Stow and Go minivans prior to registering. I do not understand why using the metal part that holds the actual seat is any less secure than using a tether to the bolt that hold this same part. Also, is tethering FF supplemental, even if required by certain seats/countries?

The pictures were all for experimentation only, as the seat was moved back to a captain chair. DC3 was born about 4 weeks ago, so the Regent is again installed using LA and tether in the OEM 70% side until she nears the 48# limit. Oh, recline bar also attached.

Some futher details about the 09 T&C..

Came home and had my wife show me yet another 'hidden' anchor - it's behind the plastic cover (that has the grocery hook) on the 40% side:

This was shown to her by the dealership, and their explaination is that these loops are there to address the lack of tether loops on the earlier stow 'n' go vans.

I'm assuming that this is another loop that is in the vehicle (similar to those hidden in the fold of the 60%), but not recommended as a FF tether attachment?
    In comparing this loop to either those on the rear of the captain's chairs or the 'obvious' tether on the back of the 60%, it feels 'thinner'.

I'm even more confused now

I'd love to be able to use these loops, but don't want to risk it. I'd also prefer not to spent $300 for two straps, but it is for the kids...

That picture didn't work. Maybe just blocked from my work. I wonder if Chrysler changed them for 2009. The pictures from some Ebay auctions for 2009 T&C look the same as my 2008 model. I'll have to pop off those covers tonight on mine.

I had a closer look at the rear seat of the T&C yesterday, and in better light it looks like the two 'hidden' anchor loops on the 60% seat are actually the lower LATCH loops for the center seat postion on the 3rd row - since the two car seats in the back are on the outboard sides and we're using the seatbelts, so the LATCH anchor furthest to the drivers side could then be used...

I'm still not convinced on the loop on the 40% side that was under the grocery bag cover - the loop's wire doesn't appear the same size as the 'offical' LATCH loops.

Thinking about it, I'll most likely get the offical tether straps refered to earlier, and install everything properly.

Has anyone gotten any more information on this?
    Mom To DD (7 years, 49 lbs, 48") in her Graco Nautilus
    DS1 (4 years 39 lb 42") in his Graco Nautilus
    DS2 (28 months 28 lbs) ERF Britax Roundabout 50
    DD2 (8 months) RF Britax bsafe

Quote Originally Posted by Roadie73 View Post
    Some futher details about the 09 T&C..

Came home and had my wife show me yet another 'hidden' anchor - it's behind the plastic cover (that has the grocery hook) on the 40% side:

This was shown to her by the dealership, and their explaination is that these loops are there to address the lack of tether loops on the earlier stow 'n' go vans.

I'm assuming that this is another loop that is in the vehicle (similar to those hidden in the fold of the 60%), but not recommended as a FF tether attachment?
    In comparing this loop to either those on the rear of the captain's chairs or the 'obvious' tether on the back of the 60%, it feels 'thinner'.

I'm even more confused now

I'd love to be able to use these loops, but don't want to risk it. I'd also prefer not to spent $300 for two straps, but it is for the kids...
    Are you talking about the LATCH loops? You CAN access them from behind the seat through where the seat back meets the seat. I have NO idea if they can be safely used in this manner, I just took these pics to see if that's what you are talking about, as I have a 2007 T&C and am also in need of more tethering loops:

This is the right LATCH loop from the rear

This is the left LATCH loop from the rear

This is how it would look if you used the right LATCH loop as a top tethering loop (this is just for show, my seat is not being used in this manner)

I am interested in this thread, I cross the border into Canada frequently to visit friends & family and need to have more than one FF Radian in my back seat, and am considering a Radian XT in the place of the TurboBooster as well, I'd like to either get that part mentioned in this thread, and also find out if the LATCH loops can be safely used as a tethering loop because then I'd only need to buy 1....
    Crissy mama to Jack, Mia Bella, Angus, Sydney & Kate

What three seats are you using there that fit all in the back?

Quote Originally Posted by picklesmama View Post
    Are you talking about the LATCH loops? You CAN access them from behind the seat through where the seat back meets the seat. I have NO idea if they can be safely used in this manner, I just took these pics to see if that's what you are talking about, as I have a 2007 T&C and am also in need of more tethering loops:

This is the right LATCH loop from the rear

This is the left LATCH loop from the rear

This is how it would look if you used the right LATCH loop as a top tethering loop (this is just for show, my seat is not being used in this manner)

I am interested in this thread, I cross the border into Canada frequently to visit friends & family and need to have more than one FF Radian in my back seat, and am considering a Radian XT in the place of the TurboBooster as well, I'd like to either get that part mentioned in this thread, and also find out if the LATCH loops can be safely used as a tethering loop because then I'd only need to buy 1....
    Mom To DD (7 years, 49 lbs, 48") in her Graco Nautilus
    DS1 (4 years 39 lb 42") in his Graco Nautilus
    DS2 (28 months 28 lbs) ERF Britax Roundabout 50
    DD2 (8 months) RF Britax bsafe

Quote Originally Posted by Nena2007 View Post
    What three seats are you using there that fit all in the back?
    They are a Disney Princess Graco TurboBooster, Princess Radian 80 and SuperCool Radian 80,.

The TurboBooster is hard for my daughter to buckle herself though because you have to reach in between the seats, although it is easier now than when I had her older brother's TurboBooster on the other side of the middle Radian.

3 Radians fit across easy-peasy, however you have the tethering issue, so for now my 6 year old will stay in the TurboBooster and if we solve the tether problem I may get her a Radian XT - which has the same width as the Radian 80 so should fit just fine.
    Crissy mama to Jack, Mia Bella, Angus, Sydney & Kate

tharms

I have a 2007 Grand Caravan and the parts worked just great. The strap is bolted right to the frame and the car seats will not budge. We installed two straps, one on the left most seat bolt and one on the left bolt for right-hand 40% seat.

For those of you in the Vancouver area I got the parts through Carter Dodge in Burnaby (Willingdon & Lougheed). They go for roughly $150 a piece. It took about 5-10 minutes a strap to install.

The part you want to order is 05015403AA. That is a kit that includes 05015405AA and that part is the only part I needed.

CPS Fanatic

2009 town and country only 3 Tether anchors need 4

I think the only legal option for you right now is to rear face one of the younger twins passenger side 3rd row. There are very few car seats that work there, but the Cosco Scenera NEXT does. It only works to 40 pounds and 40 inches, which would buy you enough time for your older twins to gain a year and a couple of pounds. At that point, you can put the twins in belt positioning boosters in the 3rd row.

Edit: this post sat half composed for a couple of hours. If Chrysler has approved a part for adding a 4th tether anchor, I'd love to see details!

Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    I think the only legal option for you right now is to rear face one of the younger twins passenger side 3rd row. There are very few car seats that work there, but the Cosco Scenera NEXT does. It only works to 40 pounds and 40 inches, which would buy you enough time for your older twins to gain a year and a couple of pounds. At that point, you can put the twins in belt positioning boosters in the 3rd row.

Edit: this post sat half composed for a couple of hours. If Chrysler has approved a part for adding a 4th tether anchor, I'd love to see details!
    (Psst... This thread is from 2009... I'm guessing all her kids are in boosters by now )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

CPS Fanatic

D'oh. Distracted posting...

I've received inquiries over the years about some links that no longer work. Here is a photo of the instruction sheet that I received from a dealer in Canada. And some photos of the tether. I hope this helps. In 2018, I mailed the tether to a mom in Alabama who contacted me through this forum. It had been sitting in a drawer in my garage for years; I was happy it found a new home. Maybe it's sitting in her garage drawer now...

Tether Install Instructions.jpg

Tether 1.jpg

Tether 2.jpg

Tether 3.jpg

Edited to Add: As I mentioned in my posts back in 2009, the installation sheet was for the Durango. But the seats were same/similar as the Town & Country; so everyone at the time (dealerships, me, husband, etc.) decided it was safe to use on the T&C. And the handwriting on the installation sheet was put there by someone at Chrysler before it reached the dealer who, in turn, faxed it to me - the numbers refer to T&C models. You may recall (if you're old enough like me) that Chrysler was going through massive restructuring/layoffs during that time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by C3_Mom; 01-14-2020 at 09:32 PM.

20. Thank You from:

Thank you very much! Would you be willing to email STRAP.pdf to me at webmaster@car-seat.org please? For some reason the forum is having an issue displaying this file for me.

Quote Originally Posted by C3_Mom View Post
    I've received inquiries over the years about some links that no longer work. Here is a photo of the instruction sheet that I received from a dealer in Canada. And some photos of the tether. I hope this helps. In 2018, I mailed the tether to a mom in Alabama who contacted me through this forum. It had been sitting in a drawer in my garage for years; I was happy it found a new home. Maybe it's sitting in her garage drawer now...
    Welcome to Car-Seat.Org! Click to Post a Question. Please respect our signature guidelines. Thank you.
    These topics have useful information: Main Announcement, User Guidelines, Please Support Car-Seat.Org
    Please support Car-Seat.Org by using forum links to Amazon (please bookmark!), Wayfair, Target, Walmart, Albee and our Sponsors.
    All Website Content Copyright© 2001-2019, Car-Seat.Org, All Rights Reserved
    Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About Us

If anyone has one of these straps (part #05015403AA) they no longer need or could see themselves not needing in the future please let me know. Or if you know where to source one from that would be great too. They seem to hard to come by.