RSTV

FrogJuice

I don't know to much about these, but wandering if it would work as something to use in others cars. I hate having to take the seats out of my car to put in someone else and then to just put them back into mine. it's not offten they are in other peoples cars, just occasionally. would the RSTV work for both DD's ( 7 almost 8, 43lbs and 5, 35lbs)?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yup. They'd both take a RSTV size small. As long as you're the one putting them in and out of others cars then I'd say no problem. I wouldn't trust someone who is not carseat savvy to do the RSTV properly, though. I think even my husband has probably only done it twice, and Piper knows what's right and what's not and would correct him.

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ditto Wendy. I don't own a car so the RSTV is (literally) a lifesaver. It's just so much easier to have kiddo walk to the carshare vehicle, etc. while wearing the vest.

Kiddo has browsed their website with me & I've always been in the habit of having her read through the manual with me. Even though she doesn't actually read the manual, I show her the pictures & we find all the parts to know their names & how they work. She has been using the RSTV now for almost 3 yrs & no longer needs any help to buckle herself in (although I often do it for her simply because other drivers don't like to wait so long).

I have found the sizing a bit inadequate. There is a little overlapping size range for kids who are just about out to outgrow the small yet not quite enough. My daughter grew too tall for the small, but hasn't quite reached the large weight minimum. After talking to customer service, I made the parental judgment to use the large. So, I recommend buying the small for your younger child 1st & testing it out on your older child before deciding. Your older child might do better with a booster. Or maybe I just have a weird kid :p

J-max

CPST Instructor
I use mine for that, and it works great. I have 2 and for the last 2 months, I just leave one in my SIL's car, beacuse she has one of my kids often.

U

Unregistered

I have a question about fit.

Do you use the headrest?
How tight do you make the vest?
Do you have problems with it riding up?

I have only tried it twice but I was not sure that I had it right. Any advice?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have a question about fit.

Do you use the headrest?

Nope. Piper tried it once and said she didn't like it much. I could see its appeal if the child was going to be sleeping, though.

How tight do you make the vest?

When she can't breathe I loosen it a bit. hehe But seriously, Piper is just shy of 40 pounds and I snug it down as tight as it'll go.

Do you have problems with it riding up?

Never. The crotch strap keeps it down.

HTH

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Nope. Piper tried it once and said she didn't like it much. I could see its appeal if the child was going to be sleeping, though.
The only time we've used it was when kiddo was sleeping during a 4+ hr ride. She woke up because it bothered her, so I just put a scarf behind her head (so the hooks wouldn't pull her hair)

When she can't breathe I loosen it a bit. hehe But seriously, Piper is just shy of 40 pounds and I snug it down as tight as it'll go.
Yep, my kid is pretty thin -- just when I think she's gaining, she gets super sick & levels out again for a while -- so far we've only used both the small & large as tight as they'll go.

The crotch strap keeps it down.
Generally, I find this is true. This was true when kiddo first started using the small, but then she grew too tall for it & the crotch strap couldn't keep it low enough for the lap belt to be properly positioned, at least not without some major discomfort. She wasn't yet the minimum weight for the large, but I decided a large vest was safer than a backless booster (especially since some of our carpool friends have lap-only belts or low seatbacks: vest allows kiddo to sit lower). I doubt we'll have any problems with the large riding up any time soon & it's not loose on her anymore.

FrogJuice

thanks for all the information, I think I will go ahead and purchase a small for madison and see what kelsey thinks of it and how it fits her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC