Question Pics of 3 across in Toyota Highlander

U

Unregistered

I've read several threads that say it CAN BE DONE in a Highlander w/ 3 across, do anyone have pics showing 3 installed?

The plan is 2 Radians FF and 1 Marathon RF. However we've played w/ the 2 seats we currently have (1 Radian 1 Marathon) and do not see them fitting beside each other 1 FF 1 RF.

Someone PLEASE help us out, I don't want to have to buy a new car b/c my seats won't fit! :)

ADS
What year is your Highlander?
Do the MA and Radian puzzle together better if the MA is FF and the Radian is RF? (I'm looking at a pic of a 3-across in an '03 Camry and thinking it might be worth a try http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226)?
Worst case would be that you buy two Radians - someone fit 3 Radians in the back of a *Corolla* so you should be able to fit 3 of them in a Highlander, and the extra Radian costs a lot less $ than a new car;)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've heard that an MA and a Radian puzzle better when they are facing the same direction (be it RF or FF.) That they don't really fit next to each other if they are facing opposite directions, hit all the wrong places.

And yeah, I've got 3 Radians in the back of my Corolla, the Highlander is wider than a Corolla, right?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
No pictures, sorry, but I had a Ride Safer Travel Vest center between Apex & Husky -- normally 2 adults sat on either side of the Apex.

What are your kids' ages, weights, heights?
Have you already tried your local CPSTs?

Does the vehicle seatback recline? If so, it can often help to recline the seat before install the carseats, then bring it upright again.

U

Unregistered

I have a Highlander '02 and have been able to width-wise fit a RF True fit with 2 Turbo boosters on either side. Not sure about fitting your combination--the outboards have the LATCH anchors, not the middle and the middle seat belt buckle (female end) is a bit long--had trouble getting seat belt install RF on the True fit there--they have seat belt clips that were interfered with by the buckle due to the long stalk. Had to twist the buckle once to shorten it.

If you can successfully get your Marathon in RF in the middle (there was plenty of front seat room with the True Fit RF middle) with the seat belt, I'd suppose as narrow as the Radian's are, one could fit the LATCH anchors on either side--not sure how the seat belt install would work given the need to reach down and buckle--depends how heavy you're using the radians (>40lbs or not).

I don't have any of those seats to actually try it, but my Boosters fit fine on either side and my children could reach and buckle their own belts without having to scoot the boosters out. I know the Marathon has a higher base than the True fit.

Don't know if this will help, but thought I'd contribute.

djma

I had an '02 Highlander and was able to get 3 combos...

1 regent pass side, 1 ff radian center, 1 signo ff drivers side

1 nautilus ff pass side, 1 ff radian, 1 evenflo triumph advance rfng drivers side

1 nautilus ff pass side, 1 radian xt ff center, 1 graco safeseat

It's definitely possible with 2 radians - they're so narrow.

U

Unregistered

Thanks so far! The stats:

2004 Toyota Highlander (w/ 3rd row)
DD1 - 6 1/2 yrs. 44 lbs. 47inches -currently rides in FF Radian 65
DD2 - 3 1/2 yrs. 39 lbs. 39inches - currenly rides FF Marathon

Baby#3 expected July 09 - hoping to use RF Marathon but possibly in RF Radian 80 (w/ the padding and all that).

I also have a Regent that DD1 used to ride in but it was so huge, we could not fit my 8 yr. old stepson in between the Regent and Marathon during the summers - so she's been in the Radian ever since (but still misses her comfy Regent).

A downside I have heard about the RFing Radian is they recline so far it interferes w/ the front seats of the car. We have the 3rd row but I prefer not to use it for daily trips since its the old style and there's no convient way to get in/out of the 3rd row w/out climbing over the rear seat and Britax seats are not approved for the connecting seatbelts in the 3rd row. Radian does not specify so I'm assuming it *would* be okay to install in 3rd row if necessary?

And I do agree, even purchasing 2 more Radians will be much cheaper than a new van :) .

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
A downside I have heard about the RFing Radian is they recline so far it interferes w/ the front seats of the car. We have the 3rd row but I prefer not to use it for daily trips since its the old style and there's no convient way to get in/out of the 3rd row w/out climbing over the rear seat and Britax seats are not approved for the connecting seatbelts in the 3rd row. Radian does not specify so I'm assuming it *would* be okay to install in 3rd row if necessary?

Can you clarify what you mean by Britax seats are not approved for the connecting seatbelts in the 3rd row? Are you referring to a seatbelt that has a mini buckle that you connect to form one anchor point for the seatbelt, and then has a sliding latch plate that you buckle normally? That type of seatbelt is perfectly fine to use with a Britax seat provided the vehicle manufacturer allows an install there and that the seat installs well there.

The Radian typically does install at pretty close to a 45* recline, which can be problematic with older kids, but a newborn requires that 45* recline in order to protect their airway. So in the beginning anyways, the MA and the Radian would be pretty equal in how much room it would take. The MA rarely fits a newborn well - the bottom slots are 10" and the baby's shoulders have to be even with those slots before it can be used. So I'd plan on using the Radian from birth and then at some point switching to the MA if that was your preference.

Some vehicles it's easier than others to get the Radian installed more upright. I'm not familiar enough with your vehicle to know how easy or hard it would be in your circumstance.

U

Unregistered

Snowbird25ca,
I'm not sure what the seatbelts are called, but the shoulder belt pulls from the ceiling and connects to the lapbelt and then you wear it like a normal seatbelt. The Britax manual does specifically say NOT to use that type of seatbelt w/ their seats and even has the picture of the type of seatbelt I'm talking about. This is in both the Regent and Marathon manual.

On a NEW note, I went to BabiesRUs today and checked out the Graco SnugRide 32 and really like it. I hoping to try and get a 3 across fit w/ it and 2 Radians - I think the Marathon would still be too bulky.

Snowbird25ca,
I'm not sure what the seatbelts are called, but the shoulder belt pulls from the ceiling and connects to the lapbelt and then you wear it like a normal seatbelt. The Britax manual does specifically say NOT to use that type of seatbelt w/ their seats and even has the picture of the type of seatbelt I'm talking about. This is in both the Regent and Marathon manual.

I looked at my old RA manual and online at the current MA manual and it says these are the non-compatible seat belt types:
• Front vehicle belts with top or bottom anchorage
points in the door. (Fig. A & B)
• Motor-driven, automatic vehicle belts. (Fig. B)
• Lap-shoulder belts that have separate retractors
for shoulder section and lap section in which lap
section retractor does not lock.
• Non-locking, two-point Emergency Locking Retractor
(ELR) vehicle belts.
• Lap-shoulder ELR vehicle belts without use of the
lock-off.

As far as I can tell, none of those describe the seat belt in the third row of our '05 Highlander - anchorage isn't in the door, it's not motorized, lap section doesn't have separate retractor, and the belts *are* lockable

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Snowbird25ca,

I think you must be misreading something..?:confused:
As the pp stated, the types of non-allowed belts by Britax does NOT include the kind of belts you have in your 3rd row. Perhaps you are getting that kind of belt mixed up with a different kind? Or else, could you please print the exact wording and page number from the manual you are reading it from, so we can cross-reference that? :thumbsup:

arly1983

I had an '02 Highlander and was able to get 3 combos...

1 regent pass side, 1 ff radian center, 1 signo ff drivers side

1 nautilus ff pass side, 1 ff radian, 1 evenflo triumph advance rfng drivers side

1 nautilus ff pass side, 1 radian xt ff center, 1 graco safeseat

It's definitely possible with 2 radians - they're so narrow.

Hi there,

I was with djma when she did this 3-accross.

The best advise that I can give you is to put the widest seat (the marathon RFing in your case) on the 40 part of the 60/40 split of your back seat. It makes a big difference.

I can't say anything about if these seats will install for you but room-wise think it would work.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Or else, could you please print the exact wording and page number from the manual you are reading it from, so we can cross-reference that? :thumbsup:

Double checking the manual is a good idea . . . I seem to remember that I could not safely install our seats in the 3rd row: not sure if it was because of info in the manual or just the size/shape of the 3rd row :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC