which has a taller shell, radian or true fit, and how much taller than the marathon are they?

Amaris

I'm going to have to start keeping an eye on K's torso growth. I'm hoping it slows down, but I'm not going to count on it. So, if I decide to get a seat with a taller shell which should I look at, radian or true fit? I would like to be keeping an eye out for sales. If I get one I can use it for a spare in dh's car. We were going to get an avenue but haven't found one yet, and I'm thinking I would like something that I can use to rf longer if she does outgrow the ma by height before I am ready to turn her (ideally 3 yrs). Being able to use the seat in dh's car now would be great because then he doesn't think I'm buying a seat just in case!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Shell is the Radian. I'm not positive by how much. About an inch or two, I believe. However, the Radian's top slots are about a half inch taller.

Wendy

Amaris

How hard is the radian to install rf'ing if you have buckles slightly forward of the bight? I have to move the nautilus forward at the base a bit to get it tight.

BW1426

Shell is the Radian. I'm not positive by how much. About an inch or two, I believe. However, the Radian's top slots are about a half inch taller.

Wendy

I was under the impression that the True Fit had the tallest convertible shell on the US market. I thought it was an inch or two higher than the radian.

NannyMom

I think Wendy meant to say Shell is TF. But Radian has higher top slots.

But I could be wrong, as I don't live in Wendy's head :)

Pixels

Wendy

I believe the TrueFit has the taller shell. Wendy, the way you worded this is a bit weird, leading me to think that you misspoke?

Pixels

How hard is the radian to install rf'ing if you have buckles slightly forward of the bight? I have to move the nautilus forward at the base a bit to get it tight.

RFing installs are generally not bad. FFing installs are where the forward of the bight belts make it very difficult.

What vehicle is this for? Someone here might be able to tell you for sure if it installs well (or not).

Amaris

It would be in a 2005 Ford Expedition and a 2000 Chevy Impala. The Expedition is the one with the forward of the bight buckles. They aren't very forward, but they are far enough that I had a little trouble with the nautilus.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Do you have the highest harness heights as well? Thanks!

Installed in the vehicle, the Radian has about .75 - 1 inch more growing room. A Comparison of the top recommended seats can be found by clicking here.

DS1 at 5 years old with a 16+" torso... he still fit in the Radian rear facing by height. We took this picture for fun, he was too heavy to rear face.
413178536_aea4680d39.jpg

Tips/tricks for installing the Radian with forward of the bight seatbelts... http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=28939

Amaris

Thanks! I really think I like the true fit. There doesn't seem to be a big difference between it and the radian. I wish I could see a radian in person, and try a true fit. Target here used to have them but they don't carry them anymore and I didn't bother to try it out when they had it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, one difference is the harness height. Remember that the Radian is not only taller top slots, but allows use over the top slots as long as the ears are below the top of the shell.

NannyMom

Because I'm trying to make the same decision you are....

My MA will be going in grandma's car when DD grows 1 more torso inch. I've been debating on replacing it with the Radian or TF. I'm really leaning towards the TF w/ arb. We got a Radian for Baby S and I've been playing with it for a few days. I :love: that it fits all the kids, Baby S through 8 year old A. And it installs easily in my van's 2nd row. It would be nice to have one for any future 3 in a row needs. But... I'm leaning towards the TF. It seems bigger (which it is) and more comfy. The top slots are higher than the MA and BV which were my other options.

Amaris

I'm leaning more toward the tf because it sounds like it is easier to install. I know that I will read the manual and take an hour if necessary to install the radian so that it doesn't move, but since I can't be sure I will be the only one installing and we do have buckles that are slightly forward of the bight, I'm probably going to go with the easier overall install. There are occasions when it will be in an 09 camry and an 03 rav-4 also.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The 3rd row of my car has slightly forward-of-the-bight seat belts, and the Radian was a breeze RF in that position.

Amaris

The 3rd row of my car has slightly forward-of-the-bight seat belts, and the Radian was a breeze RF in that position.

Is it just as easy ff'ing? I do have latch so even if I can't get a good rf'ing install with the seatbelt I can't go that route, but ff'ing I know she will be in the seat beyond 45lbs (latch limit on expedition).

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Is it just as easy ff'ing? I do have latch so even if I can't get a good rf'ing install with the seatbelt I can't go that route, but ff'ing I know she will be in the seat beyond 45lbs (latch limit on expedition).

Uh... no, it's actually truly incompatible FF in that seating position. The seatbelt position is only part of the reason, though - the other factors are stiff seats that don't compress well, fixed vehicle seats, and fairly large gaps between the locking areas in the seat belt (as in, when you pull it out and lock it, the spaces between the "clicks" are rather long.)

Amaris

Uh... no, it's actually truly incompatible FF in that seating position. The seatbelt position is only part of the reason, though - the other factors are stiff seats that don't compress well, fixed vehicle seats, and fairly large gaps between the locking areas in the seat belt (as in, when you pull it out and lock it, the spaces between the "clicks" are rather long.)

That leaves me thinking true fit. My seats do not compress much either. I haven't payed much attention to how much seatbelt goes back in between each click, but I's nautilus needs to have the straps moved up so I will try to remember to pay attention when I reinstall it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC