Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Help with infant seat install in a 1998 Dodge Stratus

I am trying to install a Cosco Designer 22 infant seat w/ base in the center of my 1998 stratus. The middle belt is a lap belt only. I would like to know how to install it center and outboard, thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Help with infant seat install in a 1998 Dodge Stratus

Can you explain what specifically you are having trouble with...that will help us help you with more, uh, helpful information

In both cases, rout the belt through the belt path according the directions in the restraint manual. You tighten the lap belt by pulling on the 'tail'. The bulky latch-plate at the buckle 'locks' the buckle in place. The exterior shoulder belts have lightweight locking latchplates. You tighten them by pulling straight up from the buckle on the shoulder portion until the seat is tight enough.

You should press down firmly on the base while tightening it to get maximum security. When you are done there should be less than one inch of movement side to side and front to back AT THE BELT PATH. The backside of the base will 'flip' up toward the back of the vehicle and that is normal.

When I install in the center, I get it in tight, but the buckle part of the seatbelt comes up on the base, like it doesn't stay to the side, it moves almost to the center of the base. Is that normal? And I've tried to install on the outboard sides before and the belt doesnt seem to lock itself.

CPS Advocate

You may have to twist the buckle stalks for the female part of the buckle. You can twist a full three times which will keep the buckle out of the belt path.

The shoulder belts don't lock at the retractor like they do in some cars, they lock at the buckle. There's a lightweight version of the big locking plate on the lap belt there.

Sometimes Dodge lightweight locking latchplates can be 'slippy'. To fix this, turn the male part of the buckle 1/2 turn before plugging it into the female end.

Well, that is great advice! Thanks! I am going to go try it now, be back in a few if I have any problems!

CPS Advocate

Glad I could help

Ok so I just went out and installed it center first twisting 1 time, that wasn't enough, so I tried it with 2 twists and that wasnt enough either. So I finally tried 3 twist and it worked perfectly. It is in there super tight. So I uninstalled it and tried it outboard and the seatbelts do actually lock. So no need for a locking clip in this situation right? I put a tightly rolled towel in the seat bight because my nephew is 10 months old and he still likes the recline, and without it it leans up too much for my liking.

CPS Advocate

It sounds like you got it exactly right

Correct, no need for a locking clip