Help with infant seat install in a 1998 Dodge Stratus

Auntie2six

I am trying to install a Cosco Designer 22 infant seat w/ base in the center of my 1998 stratus. The middle belt is a lap belt only. I would like to know how to install it center and outboard, thanks!

ADS

Maedze

Can you explain what specifically you are having trouble with...that will help us help you with more, uh, helpful information :p

In both cases, rout the belt through the belt path according the directions in the restraint manual. You tighten the lap belt by pulling on the 'tail'. The bulky latch-plate at the buckle 'locks' the buckle in place. The exterior shoulder belts have lightweight locking latchplates. You tighten them by pulling straight up from the buckle on the shoulder portion until the seat is tight enough.

You should press down firmly on the base while tightening it to get maximum security. When you are done there should be less than one inch of movement side to side and front to back AT THE BELT PATH. The backside of the base will 'flip' up toward the back of the vehicle and that is normal.

Auntie2six

When I install in the center, I get it in tight, but the buckle part of the seatbelt comes up on the base, like it doesn't stay to the side, it moves almost to the center of the base. Is that normal? And I've tried to install on the outboard sides before and the belt doesnt seem to lock itself.

Maedze

You may have to twist the buckle stalks for the female part of the buckle. You can twist a full three times which will keep the buckle out of the belt path.

The shoulder belts don't lock at the retractor like they do in some cars, they lock at the buckle. There's a lightweight version of the big locking plate on the lap belt there.

Sometimes Dodge lightweight locking latchplates can be 'slippy'. To fix this, turn the male part of the buckle 1/2 turn before plugging it into the female end.

Auntie2six

Ok so I just went out and installed it center first twisting 1 time, that wasn't enough, so I tried it with 2 twists and that wasnt enough either. So I finally tried 3 twist and it worked perfectly. It is in there super tight. So I uninstalled it and tried it outboard and the seatbelts do actually lock. So no need for a locking clip in this situation right? I put a tightly rolled towel in the seat bight because my nephew is 10 months old and he still likes the recline, and without it it leans up too much for my liking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC