Texas Folks - Any word on the new booster seat law?

MomToEliEm

Wasn't the new booster seat law in Texas suppose to go before the senate and house sometime within the next couple months? I recall 2 years ago, the bills were already filed and in committee by this time. I tried searching the state government website for any new bills filed but didn't see anything.

For those that are following the push for a Texas booster seat law, is it still in the works for this session or do we have to wait 2 more years?

ADS

MomToEliEm

I noticed the "dates of interest" on the Texas government website shows:

Friday, March 13, 2009 (60th day)
Deadline for filing bills and joint resolutions other than
local bills, emergency appropriations, and bills that
have been declared an emergency by the governor
[House Rule 8, Sec. 8; Senate Rule 7.07(b)]

I guess if it doesn't get filed by this Friday, it will not be in the works for getting passed this year. Since the legislature only meets every 2 years, I guess this means no booster seat law for next year either.

MomToEliEm

OK, I went digging some more and found that it filed.

Senate:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB61

House
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=HB528

I guess there is still hope then that it may pass.

Here is a part of the bill as it was submitted:

(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates a passenger vehicle, transports a child who is younger than eight years of age, unless the child is taller than four feet, nine inches, and does not keep the child secured during the operation of the vehicle in a child passenger safety seat system according to the instructions of the manufacturer of the safety seat system.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
YAY. That is a great law, I hope it passes! I mean, no age requirement would be better but it's pretty darned good! If that passed TX would go from one of the worst carseat laws to one of the best laws in the country. (And I would have some hope that my SIL-- not the one I bought seats for, the other one-- would maybe keep her son in a booster until 8 instead of taking him out when he hits 36 inches, though I have no hope of ERF or EH despite repeated attempts.)

teacher01

I really hope that this passes. My son is going to be 4 at the end of the month, and I can't imagine him riding in just the seat belt like many of the kids here do. I can't even imagine him in a booster. PLEAE LET IT PASS!!!!:D

mykidsmylife

I hope it passes as well. I was p-d off when it was shot down the last time.
I know a lot of moms who would be mad if this passed. Oh Well!

MomToEliEm

How tall is he? IIRC the law is 5 or 36 inches, not 4?

Actually, as long as the child is 36" (most kids are 36" at 3 years of age), then he doesn't have to be in anything but a regular seatbelt.

The law used to be better then it is now. They revised it and made it worse. Hopefully it will be revised again to made a little better this year.

Here was the old wording in the law prior to 2005:

A person commits an offense if the person operates a passenger vehicle, transports a child who is younger than four years of age or less than 36 inches in height, and does not keep the child secured during the operation of the vehicle in a child passenger safety seat system according to the instructions of the manufacturer of the safety seat system.

This read:

A: Child less then 4 years old
B: Child less then 36 inches in height
C: Must ride in a carseat

If A or B then C

If either A or B is true, then C must occur. This means that a 3 years old must ride in a seat regardless of how tall they are.
True or False = True
True or True = True
False or False = False

Now in 2005, they changed the wording

A person commits an offense if the person operates a passenger vehicle, transports a child who is younger than five years of age and less than 36 inches in height and does not keep the child secured during the operation of the vehicle in a child passenger safety seat system according to the instructions of the manufacturer of the safety seat system.

Now it is
A: child less the 5 years old
B: Child is less then 36 inches
C: Must be in a carseat

Law reads
If A and B, then C
True and True = True
True and False = False
False and False = False

Only if both A and B are true, does C need to occur. If A or B is false then the entire conditional statement is false and C does not have to occur. It was actually better the way it was prior to them touching it.

Here is some documentation they published after it was first put out that does in indicate that a 36 inch tall 2 year old does not legally need to be in a carseat
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr090705.htm

teacher01

I thought it was 4...my mistake. DS is 41 inches but only 34 lbs. Definitely too small to be out of a car seat, although I guess it is legal. I think that is what scares me the most. I just really hope this passes so that I don't have to fight with DS when he is still in a seat and none of his friends are.

Morganthe

Actually, as long as the child is 36" (most kids are 36" at 3 years of age), then he doesn't have to be in anything but a regular seatbelt.

Yeah, I was shocked to learn this when we moved here. DD was 36" on her SECOND birthday. Three is bad enough, but two? :eek:

I don't know what's going on, but I see more and more kids under 10 & even 5 lately just riding in regular seatbelts and plenty in the front seats with air bags. Either no one cares or no one knows what is safe. I think the police surrendered to the sheer mass of ignorance to fight other more clearly stated laws. I have a hunch that this ultra religious population believes that God will always protect their children against the laws of physics. (sigh)

11 more days and I won't have to see these things over and over and over and over every time I drive out my garage. :eek:

CelestinoZ

I hate to bring up a month old thread, but there was a hearing scheduled today on SB 61. The vote on the bill was all affirmative. Since all votes were affirmative, the bill was recommended for local & uncontested calendar. The next step is for the bill to be printed and distributed, after that it will be placed on the local & uncontested calendar. HB 528 is currently out of committee and has been sent to calendars. Both bills are making good progress and may get passed this time around. I'll try to keep updates posted about both Bills. I too was real upset when the bills’ didn’t pass two years ago. My family thought I was dumb to tell my sister to keep my then 6 year old niece, who was only 4’1” at the time and weighed about 62 pounds.

And also regardless of the laws, it is best to keep kids in a booster until they can safely fit in an adult seat belt. The recommended guidelines set by the National Traffic Safety Administration sets the standard at 4’9” or 8 years old. After that they should ride in the back seat using a seat belt. The booster seat I use is a Britax Frontier, this seat allows you to use the harness up to 80 pounds, and you can use the booster until your child is 100 pounds.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I hate to bring up a month old thread, but there was a hearing scheduled today on SB 61. The vote on the bill was all affirmative. Since all votes were affirmative, the bill was recommended for local & uncontested calendar. The next step is for the bill to be printed and distributed, after that it will be placed on the local & uncontested calendar. HB 528 is currently out of committee and has been sent to calendars. Both bills are making good progress and may get passed this time around. I'll try to keep updates posted about both Bills. I too was real upset when the bills’ didn’t pass two years ago. My family thought I was dumb to tell my sister to keep my then 6 year old niece, who was only 4’1” at the time and weighed about 62 pounds.

And also regardless of the laws, it is best to keep kids in a booster until they can safely fit in an adult seat belt. The recommended guidelines set by the National Traffic Safety Administration sets the standard at 4’9” or 8 years old. After that they should ride in the back seat using a seat belt. The booster seat I use is a Britax Frontier, this seat allows you to use the harness up to 80 pounds, and you can use the booster until your child is 100 pounds.

Welcome to the boards!

You are preaching to the choir here! We all fully support, recommend and practice best practice with our own children. Stick around, I think you'll like it here :)

MomToEliEm

I thought I was the only one who was keeping close ties on where those bills were. I even watched the video from today's senate committee hearing. Nothing special and all voted for it. The house committee meeting was much more interesting.

Hopefully since it made it out of committee for both the house and senate, it may actually pass.

celtic1885

I thought I was the only one who was keeping close ties on where those bills were. I even watched the video from today's senate committee hearing. Nothing special and all voted for it. The house committee meeting was much more interesting.

Hopefully since it made it out of committee for both the house and senate, it may actually pass.

Add me to the list watching the bills. This came up at our check two weeks ago. Hopefully this will get my niece out of her lbb. :eek: She's smaller than my dd2.:thumbsdown:

teacher01

PLEASE PASS!!!! Does anyone know when it will go into affect if it does pass? I see sooooo many small children in the front seat with nothing!! It is just so sad!!

MomToEliEm

PLEASE PASS!!!! Does anyone know when it will go into affect if it does pass? I see sooooo many small children in the front seat with nothing!! It is just so sad!!

The law would go into effect September 1, 2009, though no one will be prosecuted until after June 1, 2010 (they will only get a warning before that date).

mburks26

I didnt even know it was trying to be passed
as of now I have not heard anything about it passing
its just to keep them in something until 8 100lbs and 4 ft 9 right doesnt say they can not use a booster until 4 and 40lbs
it would still be legal to put a 1 yr old in a booster if they are 30lbs right or did i mis read something

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC