Safety 1st On Board bucket seat 35 pounds

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I saw on their website the other day that the NEW On Board infant seat is rated to 35 pounds. I can't find any info on height limits but the new weight limit is 35! Wow! Can you imagine carrying a 35 pound kid in one of those???

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't imagine a 35 pound kid being short enough to fit in it, anyway, but my kids are string beans.

The old Designer 35 might have been tall enough, though, my 2 yo fit in it heightwise (the handle limit was 22 pounds, though, probably trying to stave off back injury claims? :D)

Stretchy Glue

I can't imagine a 35 pound kid being short enough to fit in it, anyway, but my kids are string beans.

The old Designer 35 might have been tall enough, though, my 2 yo fit in it heightwise (the handle limit was 22 pounds, though, probably trying to stave off back injury claims? :D)

My daughter still fit in it at 18 months, but not much longer. My niece still fit at 3! I loved that seat. It was before it's time though. Too bad they didn't keep making it, with it's no rethreading, easily adjustable head rest, etc. I hope Dorel does try another hw infant seat.

Pixels

That would be nice, if kiddos could fit height-wise to 35. Only buy 2 seats: a 35 pound bucket, using it like a RFing convertible when it's too heavy to carry any more, and then a decent combo seat when that's outgrown.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
That would be nice, if kiddos could fit height-wise to 35. Only buy 2 seats: a 35 pound bucket, using it like a RFing convertible when it's too heavy to carry any more, and then a decent combo seat when that's outgrown.

I honestly believe this is the only way to get ERF into mainstream use in our country. The default neess to be the cheapest and laziest option. if they already HAVE a bucket that goes to 35 pounds,most parents will just keep using it. It is easier and cheaper than going out and buying a new seat. Hopefully, the kid will get to 2 in the big bucket. Then, the ff-only combo seat is a decent choice. simple, 2 steps, no convertibles to confuse people with rfing and ffing beltpaths, and the option to ff at 20/22 lbs, etc.

Stretchy Glue

I honestly believe this is the only way to get ERF into mainstream use in our country. The default neess to be the cheapest and laziest option. if they already HAVE a bucket that goes to 35 pounds,most parents will just keep using it. It is easier and cheaper than going out and buying a new seat. Hopefully, the kid will get to 2 in the big bucket. Then, the ff-only combo seat is a decent choice. simple, 2 steps, no convertibles to confuse people with rfing and ffing beltpaths, and the option to ff at 20/22 lbs, etc.

I think so too. If people keep their babies rf until they outgrow a hw bucket (30/35 lbs) then transition to a combo (Nautilus) we can kill 2 bird with one stone. ERF/EH. I think it's the only way to get people to buy in.:twocents:

CarSeatPoncho

I wonder how heavy the seat itself is. A baby doesn't have to get that heavy till baby+seat=back pain. I always loved having a baby on my lap when I went to the diner anyway :p

Slinging could get a boost from this, too. :love:

Qarin

The bucket design needs to have a way to adjust the recline, and clear instructions on when and how to make it more upright- too many kids get turned around because they truly don't like looking at the ceiling or at toys dangling in their face from the handle any more.

You'll still see plenty of people turning at a year, though- most (most? I hope most...) babies are moved to a convertible before they're 12 months old, and turned forward facing on their birthday even though it'd be just as easy to leave them rearfacing.

sunnymw

Doesn't the Graco Duologic have a "bucket" that clips into a bigger piece, which then turns into a 55lb RFing seat, technically? How about something like THAT, and then the Nauti? come on, graco, be the first to import a HWRF seat! :D

Maggie

Yeah, that still doesn't cover the parents who want their babies to be "big kids" I know far too many people who switch to a forward facing convertible not because baby has outgrown the carrier, but because they want to be "big" and face the front. Or because RF is "too hard".

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Or because RF is "too hard".

I agree. I just heard this one last week. A daycare mom got an EFTA for her 9 mos old on my recommendation. I asked her how she was liking it and she said she loved it, and that she's counting the days until his first b-day so she can turn him. She has all the info, when she asked for seat rec's I gave them with the ERF info as well. I was so surprised, I said 'Really? Did you read that info? He'd be so much safer staying rear-facing.' She said yes, she read it, but it's just 'too hard' to lift him in rear-facing and her older (now 8 yo) son turned at 1 and was fine so she'll turn this one too. :rolleyes:

Splash

I know most people here don't want to hear it, but we kinda already have that.

I really believe that Graco hit it out of the ball park when it comes to the SS1->GN set up. It will get almost all kids past a year RF, most to at least 18 months, several to two years or even more. After that, the GN fits wonderfully and will last until 6ish in the harness and forever as a HBB or backless booster. It might not be the very bestest ever, but it's dumbed down for the masses and it's very good. My giant kid outgrew the SS1 heightwise around 18ish months in paper diapers (I think, we didn't use it full time after about 14 months and didn't use it at all after a NYC trip when he was 16 months, and then he only fit in it in paper). By then, the vast majority (I'd say 97%) of people have their kid FF. They don't WANT their kids RFing, and most of them plum don't care if it's safer (most parents don't care about car safety in any form... if you need convincing of this fact, stop ten random cars and check the tightness of the harness... the most bare bones part of the whole thing, and they still can't be bothered). A lot of them really would be swayed by the big bucket, especially if it saves them from "wasting" money on another car seat. Then they go to a Nautilus, which fits my big 3.5 year old (and I've never IRL seen a kid his size in a harness, unless you count Seamus and I didn't actually see him *in* the seat) with tons of room to spare... easily fitting him until 5, maybe even 7, until he needs a booster, which he *could* use the GN for easily and safely.

So, you see, we've got a great system on the market. Not an utterly fabulous best practice all the way system, but a really good, easy to use, relatively inexpensive system that will get almost every child to the minimum requirements (and why should they go past the minimum? Most people still believe legal=safe, which is why smoking is so popular) and the majority of them comfortably past the minimums.

That's it! Abolish all other seats! We will be a nation of Graco babies!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
you are right splash,but they ALSO offer the idiotic comfortsport, and the ss2 as options, and rate the TB from 30 pounds on up, so all those "extra" seats in there confuse people......why get a $179 nauti when you can get a $69 comfortsport, then, when your kid is *almost* 3 and out outgrows it, get the $49 turbobooster...that's cheaper, and gets your kid into a booster the soonest, which is the goal,right? *rolls eyes*

Yes, i think if graco killed their other, way less useful products, it would be a great setup.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I thougth the DuoLogic was only to 40 lbs.? (Still higher than what we have here, but you know, not 55 lbs.)

I do love the idea of a bucket that clips into a convertible/ERF seat, though. That might maybe help prevent all the way-outgrown buckets I see (and hopefully the FF buckets I haven't seen but hear about.)

sunnymw

I wanna say it's to 40lbs in the back seat, but 50 or 55 if it's braced against the front dashboard? Not sure. It was eons ago that I looked it up and remembered it had 2 different weight limits depending on where it was in the car. Not to mention, I have a friend who would probably totally pay $300+ for a seat that A) turns from a bucket into an ERF seat, and B) should be put in the front seat.

April

I do love the idea of a bucket that clips into a convertible/ERF seat, though. That might maybe help prevent all the way-outgrown buckets I see (and hopefully the FF buckets I haven't seen but hear about.)

Here ya go, it doesn't even have the harness threaded, but the base is installed FF with latch!:

FFinginfantseatnoharness.jpg

*ETA: This is a random car parked next to me at the grocery store. It is NOT safe to use an infant seat in this manner.

keri1292

People will still want to switch when baby gets too heavy to carry the bucket. It's like they can't comprehend that you can use the bucket exactly as you would a RFing convertible. Is there glue between the babies bottom and the bucket? :rolleyes:

I get wanting the baby to be less reclined and getting a convertible, but getting a convertible because you don't want to carry the bucket? :scratcheshead:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC