FAA Allows higher harnessed seats and rear facing seats

freqflyer

My first post here so forgive me if its in the wrong spot but I wanted to link to some information I found on my frequent flyer board regarding higher weight harnessed seats and rear facing seats when flying.

For those of us who have their over 40lb children in 5 point harnesses, the good news is that we're now officially allowed to do so in the air. Before, technically, our seats could be taken away once our children were 40lbs.

With so many higher-harnessed seats now being used (and probably the standard in the future), this is welcome.

There has also been debate over rear-facing seats that blocked the person in front from reclining and caused problems on flights.

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviat.../info09002.pdf

Handicapped children are also now allowed to use them for as long as they need a restraint when flying.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It doesn't work for me either, I think because the link was truncated when it was quoted, and sadly I can't figure out exactly where it was headed because of how it was truncated, and haven't had success finding the document. Hopefully someone else can figure it out, or the OP will come back with a correct link. :)

crunchierthanthou

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...afety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

notably-

Discussion: No operator may prohibit a child (an individual who has not reached his or her 18th birthday) from using an approved CRS when the parent or guardian purchases a seat for the child, the child is accompanied by a parent or guardian and the child is within the weight limits for the CRS. If an approved CRS, for which a ticket has been purchased, does not fit in a particular seat on the aircraft, it is the responsibility of the aircraft operator to accommodate the CRS in another seat. The regulations also permit an operator to use its discretion in identifying the most appropriate forward-facing passenger seat location, considering safe operating practices.

I believe it's just a clarification of the previous rules. Even before this memo, you could use any seat certified for aircraft as long as it was within the manufacturer instructions (including ERF and HWH) per FAA guidelines. I believe the problem came when some individual airline policies stated 40 lbs.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If an approved CRS, for which a ticket has been purchased, does not fit in a particular seat on the aircraft, it is the responsibility of the aircraft operator to accommodate the CRS in another seat.

NICE!!!!

I'm printing and taking this next time we fly! About time!

Wineaux

I think it's also to address complaints by consumers where airlines have basically "forced" them to check the seat and have their children be lap babies on flights because the flight attendants just didn't understand the regulations, or misinterpreted the regulations.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, I really liked the part about no one may prohibit a child for whom a seat has been purchased from sitting in the crash restraint system as long as they are within the weight guidelines for the seat.

crunchierthanthou

I couldn't find the RF change. What is it? I have had issues with DD's seat because she is still RF.

it's point two (aft = rear)

2) An aft-facing CRS that cannot be installed properly because of minimal pitch (distance between seats) between rows can be moved to a bulkhead seat or a seat in a row with additional pitch.

but note it's "can" not "must" on that part. but basically, it's covered in the first part that says they can't stop you from using an approved seat as long as the child is within the weight limit.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
but note it's "can" not "must" on that part. but basically, it's covered in the first part that says they can't stop you from using an approved seat as long as the child is within the weight limit.

On the other thread we were discussing this it was my interpretation that YES they must allow you to use the seat, and YES, if it doesn't fit in the seat you were assigned they need to find another location that it will fit. However, NO, you cannot decide which seat you want...what seat is chosen is at their discretion. So you can't necessarily get the bulkhead just because you want it and it fits your RF'ing seat if they choose not to bump someone out of that seat IF there's another row (say the last row) that has additional pitch and will fit your rf'ing seat.

:twocents:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think most of us would be happy just to be told "okay we'll move you" even to the last row if it means they're not arguing with us that our 5 or 7 month old needs to go FF. :twocents:

jewlsvern

The complaint I've had from FA's is that the person in front can not recline their seat so they didn't want the seat RF. I even had a lady force her seat to recline some pushing my sleeping DD very upright where I had to hold her head to keep it from slumping.

How does this new rule help this is my question? Just wondering for future reference.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They can't make you not RF if your child is in the limits to RF in your seat. If the person in front is interfering with your proper installation, I'd complain and see if they'll either make them stop or move you.

jewlsvern

Thanks! That is great to know. MY 2 yr old is barely 23 lbs and I have a new one on the way. We will definitely be RF for a long time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC