Am I crazy? Buying an XT...

Blondie87

So I have 2 Boulevards, a Chicco Keyfit 30, and a True Fit. I will soon be getting a Recaro Como. I only ever need TWO seats, because I only ever have 2 kids and we have 1 car we put them in. I was thinking that I should sell my True Fit and Como and buy a Radian XT.

I am only using the Boulevards right now, I have my True Fit for my bigger rear facers and forward facers, since I don't like the Boulevard FF in my car. But the Radian gives my kid's more leg room when rear facing, and it is about the same shell height as the True Fit. And it will ALSO allow me get 3 across when I need it. Plus I can fold it and put it in my closet instead of having it just sit out in my living room like the True Fit and Keyfit are.

It's just so hard to get rid of my True Fit. It has 3 crotch positions, and the no thread harness, which is great since I do foster care and can adjust the harness once I pick up the child without uninstalling it.

I am pretty much looking for people to say I'm not crazy for getting rid of my True Fit and that it's a good idea.. :rolleyes:

ADS

Pixels

Do it! You know you want to!

Seriously, before you do, have you tried a RN in your car? It's not exactly small RFing, and not exactly the easiest install FFing. I would hate for you to sell your seats, buy the RN, and find that the TF was better for you.

You said "when" you need 3 across. I know you're a foster mom for up to two children at a time, and that you've been TTC. Will the number of foster kids you take change when you have a bio-child? If you will only have two kids total, ever, there's no real reason to worry about 3-across. If you plan/hope to have 3-across on a regular basis in the future, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.

Blondie87

I have had Judi's RF in my car. It actually was not that reclined. My seats are very sloped so maybe that helped. I haven't tried it FF yet though.

Sometimes I have friend's kids in my car, in car seats. Or my nieces who are in boosters. I also have been giving DFS2's mom and newborn sister rides, and I always have to put one of my kids in my 3rd row to fit the infant seat in my 2nd row. So.. that's when it'd be nice to have a Radian to get 3 across.. :)

Pixels

OK, so you do have a current want to get 3 across, though not exactly need, since you have a 3rd row. (What do you drive? We might be in the market for a vehicle with 3rd row. Hijack over.)

Since you have a 3 crotch position TF, it's not readily replaceable if you change your mind later. Are you particularly attached to having two BVs? I'm thinking sell one of them instead of the TF to fund the RN.

But don't do anything until you know for sure about the RN being compatible. Before I buy a seat, I want to know that it's compatible every which way (FF/RF, seatbelt/LATCH) in every seating position, or at least know its limitations ahead of time. I was at a dealership looking at a vehicle on Friday, and I think the salesman thought I was nuts, because I have one child, yet was trying the RN in all the possible configurations, in all the seats. Then I went home, and realized I forgot one configuration, and went back the next day to try it.

Blondie87

I'll have to get with Judi and try out her Radian some more. It just gives SO much more leg room too. Not that it matters too much with my current kid's being so young... but DFS1's legs BARELY touched in the Radian, but bend in all my other seats, so I'm sure it'd help if I get a 3 year old that can be rear facing.

I have an 2002 Acura MDX. If you get one don't get that year.. there is NO place to RF tether... I think the newer years are different.

Yeah.. I am attached to having 2 Boulevards. I like being able to match if can. My husband likes them much more then the True Fit, so I don't even think he'd want me to sell one of them. And in his mind DFS1 is *so* much happier in the Boulevard then the True Fit (which he's not).

mybabysmomma

I have an 2002 Acura MDX. If you get one don't get that year.. there is NO place to RF tether... I think the newer years are different.

Are your front seats power seats? I was able to find a RFing tether point on both the driver's and passenger's seat, but it was hard. Our driver's seat was a power seat and I had to pop off the plastic part to get to the RFing tether point. Then under the seat there is a metal bar that goes across the bottom of the seat that has like 2 round holes on each side and one oblong hole in the middle. I was able to thread the d-ring either through or around that oblong hole-- I can't remember exactly, sorry. It's been like 8 months since I have driven that car.

Our passenger seat wasn't a power seat so I didn't have to pop off the plastic. I double checked here to make sure that I could use the track as a tether point and was told it was ok so I used that as the RFing tether point.

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

Sorry I don't have pictures of the tether point under the driver's seat. And if I am totally wrong, please let me know so I stop spewing garbage ;)

I drove a 2002 MDX for awhile and the Radian 80 installed beautifully FF in it. The only issue I ran into was the belt stalks in the middle seat-- I had to twist it 3 full times before it wouldn't go in the belt path and interfere with the installation. I don't remember it being an issue on the outboard seats because I think I just used LATCH to install it. I believe, according to the car manual, that you can only install seats FFing in the 3rd row, but I have a reputation of not being able to read car manuals right, so triple check that. I didn't have any problem installing the Radian 80 FFing in the 3rd row. The only thing that sucked was the tether and how it had to go over the trunk space because the tether point is next to the hatch but that is true for any seat in that car.

If I were you, I'd get the XT just because you will have more flexibility with it. Good luck deciding!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Oh, forgot to answer the question. Yes, Cody, you are crazy. But I think I have already told you that in the past.

Blondie87

Oh, forgot to answer the question. Yes, Cody, you are crazy. But I think I have already told you that in the past.

Yeah.. you have. But I love the XT.. lol. It's just somethin about headwings.. I love headwings :rolleyes:

And about the tether spot.. Judi and her tech husband looked for a couple hours and couldn't find a spot. I even popped off the only plastic part we have and checked, nothin! :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC