Is this for real? Baby Trend to 30lbs?

CarmenJ

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3331819

I decided on this seat in BRU today--but didn't buy it, just decided. I want a narrow seat but hadn't seen one of these in person until today. I came home thinking it was rated to 22 pounds and started debating with myself, trying to remember how old DD was when I switched her out of the Snugride, wondering if I should just get one of the 30lb seats instead... and then happened to see that this seat says on the site that it goes to 30 lbs.

I can't remember what I saw in store. I just assumed 22 pounds. I've been all over Google trying to find this particular seat elsewhere, but every other Baby Trend seat I've come across says 22 pounds. This is the only one I can find, this print at BRU (and I can't find this print anywhere but at BRU, not even on Baby Trend's site), that says 30 pounds.

Is it real? A mistake? Has it been a big deal and I didn't hear about it because I live under a rock? I didn't find anything searching here, either, but may not have been searching well enough.

TIA. It's going to be a little while before I make it back up to BRU again, although I can always call them tomorrow.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Huh. I think that may be a mistake. I haven't heard about them being to 30. But I suppose it could be at some point, but wouldn't we hear about it on more than one? In any case I doubt it would get any kid anywhere NEAR 30, unlike the SS1/SR32. Which might get some kids close.

I would email BRU and see if they have a mistake on that page. Wouldn't want parents misled!

kmcenery

I think it is wrong on the site. I looked on baby trends site and clicked on about half of the seats and they were all 22 lbs. That seat was not on the web site tho.

CarmenJ

I'll call them tomorrow to check. But it says 30lbs in two different places on that page, under the description and under the other tab, something like "additional info" ... and it's not technically labeled as a Flex Loc, even though it obviously is one.

ETA: And it says "NEW!" by the picture if you find it in the search on the site instead of going straight to the page.
eta again ... hah, it says the same thing by the picture on the page, just smaller and in a different spot. I totally didn't notice before.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmmm.

And yet on the BT website, nothing.

I think we'll have to wait to hear from them on this one. Maybe you should call BT too as well as BRU.

Wineaux

I hope that they did indeed go to 30lbs. It's a really nice seat, and with the Rigid LATCH it's a stupid simple install. It's a seat I could recommend any day to someone wanting an infant bucket to use in a LATCH install.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
From the picture, it appears to have the Flex Loc style LATCH connectors, not the rigid LATCH connectors used on the Baby Trend Latch Loc model. :twocents: If the shell height on this 30 lb. rated model is the same as the 22 lb. limit Baby Trend infant seats, it would surprise me if many babies could reach the 30 lb. limit before outgrowing it by height. DD2 outgrew a 22 lb. limit Latch Loc by height around 6 months old, when she weighed approx. 16 lbs.

Pixels

It's 30, yup. No bigger or changed at all except for the labels though.

REALLY? I assume that you're saying this because you saw it IRL. Honestly, no baby (few exceptions always apply) is going to make it anywhere near 30 in that seat. It's the shortest seat allowed by law. We discussed it (and this particular seat) in an earlier thread.

Kat_Momof3

I emailed Babytrend about this and I heard back... it does go to 30lbs.

I didn't get more details than that, but it does go to 30lbs.

I expect techs should learn more at lifesavers.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Huh.

So they upped the weight limit but not the height limit? That's going to benefit very few babies and could lead to much more rampant misuse of their seat. :twocents:

kmcenery

I saw it today at babies r us and baby trends paper on it said 30 lbs. I dont know how to measure it or I would have. But it is in babies r us right now.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No different from the Key Fit having the same dimensions for the 22 or 30, though... well...except it's a bigger seat to start with :rolleyes:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No different from the Key Fit having the same dimensions for the 22 or 30, though... well...except it's a bigger seat to start with :rolleyes:

Yeah, but see, the KeyFit, while I don't think most kids will make it to 30 in it, SOME kids might make it past 22. So upping it is a BIT more reasonable.

I am trying really hard to imagine a kid making it past 22 lbs. in the BT, and it really stretches credulity that more than a few in a thousand will.

Pixels

The main reason that I see that it's a problem, is that many parents are aware that there's a weight limit, but not aware of height limits. They can understand the weight limit being important to a restraint, but not height. So if a seat goes to 30 pounds, and my child is not 30 pounds, it must be ok.

I think my kid might be one to make it past 22 in the BT. We still have a ways to go, but at 15 pounds, she has several inches over her head still.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I ran into a dad yesterday who was *fixated* on weights...thought that the 22lb limit on his KF was ok for any height, and the 30lb limit on a booster was ok for any age.
Mostly, though, people seem to think the infant seat is outgrown when the feet get to the end :confused:

Momof4Girls

I put both my 20mos and my 3 y/o in a BT FL...My 3 y/o (pic in another thread, fits height-wise in a SR, but is over the weight limit) has her head RIGHT AT the top of the BT shell...at 25lbs. My 20mos is almost out of it (at 18-19lbs), but she still can grow a bit in it.

Raechel

skylinphoto

I could see it being useful for some people. My friend has twins who are short and well over 22 lbs. They fit in my flex loc heightwise..but not weightwise.
My dd however is the opposite. She fits weightwise (only 16 lbs) but outgrew it by height recently. (my siggy stats are old, btw)
My baby and my friends twins are the exact same age (1 yr old).
Babies are different sizes.

This seat..like the chicco 30..will be helpful to those with heavy, young babies. :)

(edited for spelling errors. hehe)

Kat_Momof3

what about finding it next to the regular flex loc?? if they changed anything on it, you'd be able to tell (height... width... those things at least).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
what about finding it next to the regular flex loc?? if they changed anything on it, you'd be able to tell (height... width... those things at least).

Believe me, I have two on the shelf right next to each other...there's nothing different except the colors and the labels. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC