Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this for real? Baby Trend to 30lbs?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3331819

I decided on this seat in BRU today--but didn't buy it, just decided. I want a narrow seat but hadn't seen one of these in person until today. I came home thinking it was rated to 22 pounds and started debating with myself, trying to remember how old DD was when I switched her out of the Snugride, wondering if I should just get one of the 30lb seats instead... and then happened to see that this seat says on the site that it goes to 30 lbs.

I can't remember what I saw in store. I just assumed 22 pounds. I've been all over Google trying to find this particular seat elsewhere, but every other Baby Trend seat I've come across says 22 pounds. This is the only one I can find, this print at BRU (and I can't find this print anywhere but at BRU, not even on Baby Trend's site), that says 30 pounds.

Is it real? A mistake? Has it been a big deal and I didn't hear about it because I live under a rock? I didn't find anything searching here, either, but may not have been searching well enough.

TIA. It's going to be a little while before I make it back up to BRU again, although I can always call them tomorrow.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Is this for real? Baby Trend to 30lbs?

Huh. I think that may be a mistake. I haven't heard about them being to 30. But I suppose it could be at some point, but wouldn't we hear about it on more than one? In any case I doubt it would get any kid anywhere NEAR 30, unlike the SS1/SR32. Which might get some kids close.

I would email BRU and see if they have a mistake on that page. Wouldn't want parents misled!
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 12, Bridget, 10, Maggie, 8, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Technician

I think it is wrong on the site. I looked on baby trends site and clicked on about half of the seats and they were all 22 lbs. That seat was not on the web site tho.
    Kristin
    Darlene Shayn 12/06 38 lbs ff MA and ff EFTA.
    Cooper Allen edd 01/11 Chicco Key fit 30 and maybe CCO

I'll call them tomorrow to check. But it says 30lbs in two different places on that page, under the description and under the other tab, something like "additional info" ... and it's not technically labeled as a Flex Loc, even though it obviously is one.

ETA: And it says "NEW!" by the picture if you find it in the search on the site instead of going straight to the page.
    eta again ... hah, it says the same thing by the picture on the page, just smaller and in a different spot. I totally didn't notice before.

Hmmm.

And yet on the BT website, nothing.

I think we'll have to wait to hear from them on this one. Maybe you should call BT too as well as BRU.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

It's 30, yup. No bigger or changed at all except for the labels though.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

CPS Technician

I hope that they did indeed go to 30lbs. It's a really nice seat, and with the Rigid LATCH it's a stupid simple install. It's a seat I could recommend any day to someone wanting an infant bucket to use in a LATCH install.
    Ian James - 3.5 Years
    FF Learning Curve Truefit and FF Britax RA

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

From the picture, it appears to have the Flex Loc style LATCH connectors, not the rigid LATCH connectors used on the Baby Trend Latch Loc model. If the shell height on this 30 lb. rated model is the same as the 22 lb. limit Baby Trend infant seats, it would surprise me if many babies could reach the 30 lb. limit before outgrowing it by height. DD2 outgrew a 22 lb. limit Latch Loc by height around 6 months old, when she weighed approx. 16 lbs.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    It's 30, yup. No bigger or changed at all except for the labels though.
    REALLY? I assume that you're saying this because you saw it IRL. Honestly, no baby (few exceptions always apply) is going to make it anywhere near 30 in that seat. It's the shortest seat allowed by law. We discussed it (and this particular seat) in an earlier thread.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

I emailed Babytrend about this and I heard back... it does go to 30lbs.

I didn't get more details than that, but it does go to 30lbs.

I expect techs should learn more at lifesavers.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Huh.

So they upped the weight limit but not the height limit? That's going to benefit very few babies and could lead to much more rampant misuse of their seat.

CPS Technician

I saw it today at babies r us and baby trends paper on it said 30 lbs. I dont know how to measure it or I would have. But it is in babies r us right now.
    Kristin
    Darlene Shayn 12/06 38 lbs ff MA and ff EFTA.
    Cooper Allen edd 01/11 Chicco Key fit 30 and maybe CCO

No different from the Key Fit having the same dimensions for the 22 or 30, though... well...except it's a bigger seat to start with
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    No different from the Key Fit having the same dimensions for the 22 or 30, though... well...except it's a bigger seat to start with
    Yeah, but see, the KeyFit, while I don't think most kids will make it to 30 in it, SOME kids might make it past 22. So upping it is a BIT more reasonable.

I am trying really hard to imagine a kid making it past 22 lbs. in the BT, and it really stretches credulity that more than a few in a thousand will.

The main reason that I see that it's a problem, is that many parents are aware that there's a weight limit, but not aware of height limits. They can understand the weight limit being important to a restraint, but not height. So if a seat goes to 30 pounds, and my child is not 30 pounds, it must be ok.

I think my kid might be one to make it past 22 in the BT. We still have a ways to go, but at 15 pounds, she has several inches over her head still.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

I ran into a dad yesterday who was *fixated* on weights...thought that the 22lb limit on his KF was ok for any height, and the 30lb limit on a booster was ok for any age.
    Mostly, though, people seem to think the infant seat is outgrown when the feet get to the end
    Julie

Carseat Crazy

I put both my 20mos and my 3 y/o in a BT FL...My 3 y/o (pic in another thread, fits height-wise in a SR, but is over the weight limit) has her head RIGHT AT the top of the BT shell...at 25lbs. My 20mos is almost out of it (at 18-19lbs), but she still can grow a bit in it.

Raechel
    Raechel, mom of my crew of now 5!

I could see it being useful for some people. My friend has twins who are short and well over 22 lbs. They fit in my flex loc heightwise..but not weightwise.
    My dd however is the opposite. She fits weightwise (only 16 lbs) but outgrew it by height recently. (my siggy stats are old, btw)
    My baby and my friends twins are the exact same age (1 yr old).
    Babies are different sizes.

This seat..like the chicco 30..will be helpful to those with heavy, young babies.

(edited for spelling errors. hehe)
    -Jessica. mom to :
    Aislin (4-30-2006)..44lbs and 46.5 in tall. Boostered in a Cybex Solutions x-fix
    Skyla (3-13-2008)..32lbs and 43 in tall. Boostered in a Clek Oobr

what about finding it next to the regular flex loc?? if they changed anything on it, you'd be able to tell (height... width... those things at least).

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Momof3 View Post
    what about finding it next to the regular flex loc?? if they changed anything on it, you'd be able to tell (height... width... those things at least).
    Believe me, I have two on the shelf right next to each other...there's nothing different except the colors and the labels.
    Julie