Features on new radian....

NannyMom

So we ordered a Radian 80. I was sent the SuperCool. Not a fan of the mesh, but oh well. The day I got it, the velcro was ripping off the infant head pillow. So I called and they said to send the seat back. I sent it back, they check out the entire seat for other problems, packed it back up and sent it back to me. THey either replaced the pillow, or covered it with a bigger (huge) velcro strip. Either way, that's fine :)

My question is... after seeing pics on here, the new Radians seem to have velcro on the seat and harness like the Britax seats. Should I have that? I'd like to have it. But at the same time, I don't want to seem like a 'pest' to SKJP. KWIM? What do you think?

BTW- if it matters, it's a seat that won't be used often. In dad's car for Baby S. But....it will be used for the rest of her harnessed life (5-6 years?).

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Velcro on the seat and harness. Like to keep it out of the way when not in use for easy buckling? Mine are old and have that. At least my 80 does, haven't looked for it on the others but I noticed it when I was cleaning the 80 the other day (I don't use the feature, obviously.)

christineka

My manhatten 80 had the velcro on the harness and sides of the cover. I never used it though since ds buckled/unbuckled himself and didn't bother with the velcro.

Nisha

Mine have it (one is the new style 65) but it doesn't seem to line up right so I don't use it anyway.

Pixels

Excerpts from a series of emails between Russ and me:

Me:
As an aside, what is with the velcro on the harness and cover? It seems to be totally hit or miss on whether the velcro is there or not. DOM and model of seat (65/80/XT) doesn't seem to matter much, if at all. I know several people are disappointed that their XTs don't have the velcro.
Russ:
Re: velcro - Before we phased out the Velcro on the harness strap and cover, we did some research and all our feedback was that people did not use this feature. The only comments on it were negative – that the velcro snagged on coats/sweaters…..and so, naturally once we take it off – you then tell us that people like it. Isn’t that always the way it happens?

The idea of the velcro is to help hold the harness straps to the side – out of the way during child boarding.

Do you find that you used this function?
Me:
My Radian65 does have the velcro, and I expected it to be on the XTs as well. I don't use it 100% of the time, but I do use it and I do like it. It takes a moment to set up (attaching the harness to the cover) before boarding. As it is, I have to fish the buckle out from underneath my daughter every single time. She is rear-facing, and even if I try to move it out of the way before boarding, gravity pulls the buckle back and it ends up underneath her.

At this point, I don't remember the comments from others well enough, to remember if it was simply surprise that the Velcro feature was taken off the XT, or if it was disappointment.
Russ:
Thanks for your comments on the velcro – I would tend to agree that if its absence is noted, it is that rather than disappointment.

Based on all that, if you miss the Velcro, let them know. I know when I get my XT, I'm going to be disappointed that it doesn't have it. I have it on my 65, and like it.

NannyMom

Thanks. Knowing it wasn't something they forgot to add to my seat makes me feel better :) Infact, with the mesh of the super cool, the velcro may have been a bad idea anyway. But I do like and use the velcro on my MA (at least 1/2 the time I use it).

AtTheSouthDam

Side note. I want the second slot in the cover of the XT to tuck the red strap into. I am afraid it is going to get lost in the depths of the cover every time I tuck it in. Does any one else's XT have this?
I didn't know about the velcro so I can't say it miss it :)

Pixels

What? No second slot in the cover for the red strap? Well, I guess it makes it look neater, not having that red showing all the time. Especially with a pink seat.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing the strap. It is, after all, fairly well attached ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC