Question weight limits on boosters

purplemama

My oldest is 10, little over 80# and about 60" tall. I hate how he still falls asleep in the car and flops all over. And leans over to play video games. I'm gonna lock the seatbelt on him if he does that again. So no, he doesn't pass the 5 step test in those ways.
Anyway, I'm curious about the weight limits on boosters. Set in stone like car seats? Only a HBB would solve the sleep issue anyway, right?
Just being safety obssesed here. And regretting letting him out of a booster when he reached the weight limit.
BTW, he would freak if I got him a booster. FREAK. BAD.

ADS

NannyMom

Maybe he would freak enough to sit properly? Or ditch the video games? I think most boosters go to 100 pounds though.

purplemama

Perhaps I should have actually looked at boosters before posting :whistle:. My DS's NBB he had only went to 80 and so did a lot of boosters I looked at when I bought it. They seem to have upped the weight limit on them in the last 4-5 years. I could probably get him to sit in a NBB (no one could see it from outside :rolleyes:) but that wouldn't solve the sleep issue. I'm thinking I'll just lock the seatbelt on him when I'm sure he's gonna sleep and to teach him a lesson with the leaning forward because he thinks he's a teenager and that us adults are sooo stupid.

Maedze

If he otherwise passes the five step test, I don't think a backless booster is going to solve the problem, since he can still lean out of position.

Although it will at least keep the lap belt from moving up when he wiggles, which is something.

Honestly, though, what this is is a 'discipline' issue, more than anything.

Obviously, I'm not telling you how to discipline YOUR child, I'll just tell you what I'd do if he were mine, which is take away the video games, lock the seatbelt and tell him he has to prove to me for a solid week that he can sit properly, before you'll unlock the belt and give the video games back.

mommyto4

Well, as for falling asleep, he can't help that he falls over when he sleeps. My tall 10 year old (58 inches and 70 pounds) uses a HBB if we are going to be in the car for a long enough period that she may fall asleep. We recently got a Monterrey for my 8 year old son and DD loves it so much that she has been choosing to ride in it when DS is not coming with us.

Maedze

Oops, I didn't see the falling asleep part. Why not give him a body pillow to prop himself up on when he naps? And teach him to lock the seatbelt if he wants to doze off :thumbsup:

purplemama

Taking away video games for a week won't work, he's only in the car once a week at the most, sometimes not even that. It would have to be like for a month!! I've done that and it doesn't work. I'm thinking no video games at all. The body pillow for sleeping is a great idea, I'm going to get him one.
Are there any videos on youtube that show an out of position in a booster? I doubt it but it would be nice to have something to show him. Everything on there carseat related seems to be younger kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC