I saw a real live ERF toddler today!!

Splash

AJ saw it, and I actually had to speed up to catch the car just so I could see it. I was so ridiculous. But I had to see it for real, I've never actually seen this happen IRL.

Yes!! A kid of at least 2 years old RF in a RA! It was sooooo exciting! :rolleyes:

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Cool! Except for a few toddlers that I've talked parents into turning RF at seat checks, I've truly NEVER seen a child RF past age one except for DD. (I never even saw Jeanum's DD RF, because we're always together without our kids. :thumbsup: :p)

I've never seen it before. I am the only one I know of IRL to RF past 12 months - DS is 18 months old today. Hopefully, though, I will be seeing it in family members if I hound them enough when the time comes.. lol

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I've seen it, but I dunno if this counts. My BFF kept her daughter RF until almost 2 and one of my day care boys was RF until sometime in the last 2 months. He was turned while I was on maternity leave....he's 18 months and TALL.

Susan

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've seen a few whom I don't know, and convinced a lot more whom I do know. And I enable it in my niece (whom I've never actually met, but have seen pictures of, and her mother decided to ERF BEFORE I brought up the subject.) Oh, and I've seen my cousin's kid when he was doing it (before he hit 35 lbs. and had to turn, and actually his parents decided before I brought it up too.)

Spam

I haven't seen it yet.. tried talking sis to rf my 18 month nephew... but she just blew me off.. and today I saw a evenflo bucket forward facing :eek: I've heard it could be done, but never actually saw it irl. :jaw:

bestjob-mommy

one of my nanny kids- 29mo old was just turned FF, and my nephew is 28 mo and just turned FF too... people are beginning to understand and keep their little ones RF! be encouraged! I know someone who had their pediatrician tell them it was ok to FF under 1yr old finally turned their son back RF and he is about to be 2 now, still RF!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I saw an ERF toddler here the other day...I was walking into work, I spied a Volvo XC90 with a RF MA, and a kiddo at least two. Then I realized it was one of our pedis and I got really excited--there is at least one doctor here who realizes the benefits of ERF.

urchin_grey

Hehe, I'd be excited too! The only ERF'ers I know are DS and my nephew. I think we've already convinced my sister's friend though - her baby is only a few weeks old but we've given her a crash course on car seats in the last few days after we found out that she was using a hand-me-down 3-point Discovery. :eek: (Luckily it isn't expired, but she didn't know CR expired until we told her.) So my sister and I are going to put our funds together and get her a ETA so that he will be safer and hopefully there will be another ERF'er on the roads. :love:

urchin_grey

I saw an ERF toddler here the other day...I was walking into work, I spied a Volvo XC90 with a RF MA, and a kiddo at least two. Then I realized it was one of our pedis and I got really excited--there is at least one doctor here who realizes the benefits of ERF.

DS just had a check-up the other day and I slipped into conversation that DS was still RF'ing at almost 4yo (we were discussing his size, he's tiny). I just wanted to see what she would say. LOL But she actually said "well, I guess so!". :love: So that makes at least one other ped that doesn't tell people they should FF based on age or weight. :cool:

christineka

I was shocked one day I saw someone at church putting their over 1 year old dd in a rfing britax seat. I think the baby is 14 months old and she looks chunky enough to be well over 20 pounds too. I've never seen any others.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
an obviously two yo rf in a RA? must have been pushing the height limit.

:ROTFLMAO: That was my thought too, but then she never said it.

I have quite a few friends IRL who erf. Not necessarily to the limits, but I figure anything past the minimums is great. I have a lot of parents at work who I talk to and are planning to keep their kids rf'ing past the minimums too. I do think it's starting to become more common in some areas. Of course we still have the under minimums ff'ing in horribly installed seats, but progress is progress. :thumbsup:

christineka

I bet my 4 year old could fit rfing in the roundabout. She still has 2 inches over her head in the tribute. Too bad it only rfes to 30 pounds.

Mystie81

Wow that is def exciting. Where I live, i've never seen one, and i see many kids everyday. Most of them are turned before their first birthday :mad:

Splash

Yeah, he was over the height limits. That's why AJ noticed it and knew the kid must be older. She kept telling me it was a MA and that I REALLY had to see, a kid RFing long enough to outgrow a MA by height. But, it was a RA, and his head was over the top. I just didn't want to taint my giddiness by pointing out the only obvious sign of misuse.

fyrfightermomma

I saw one once too while driving. I was driving behind a small car (i have a minivan) and I could see into the back seat. I saw the top of some seat and this big old noggin looking back at me. He was easily over age 2.

And yes, I about wet my pants

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC