What is the best FF seat for a 1 year old??

G8r4evr

My nephew is 14 months old and 26 lbs. I have talked to my sister in law until I am blue in the face about the benefits of EFR, but she isnt having it. So, if you had to recommend a FF seat for a 14 month old of his size, what would it be?

Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmmm.

Nautilus and SafeGuard both can fit little littles pretty well. (I sat my 10 month old in one of our SafeGuards and even with the extreme slumping the bottom setting was UNDER her shoulders. Of course, she has a long torso, but the slumping was extreme. Really. :eek: )

The nautilus does fit 1 year olds good, but the head slump sleeping would bother me.

What about the Evenflo triumph advance. Super comfy.

I would want something with alot of SIP though. Wonder about the BLVD too?

fyrfightermomma

Either a Radian if it installs for the low head excursion numbers or a Recaro for the awesome SIP (side impacts are what kills young kids the most)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know that a Radian would fit a little little that well. It might, but I don't know about it.

The Recaros do have great SIP, and with the cushy padding and recline might even be comfy for a little FFer.

solmama

I think a Radian would fit a kid that small just fine. My ds has ridden in one (as a secondary seat) since he about 6mos. At 1 yr he was 19lbs, at 2 24lbs. Sunshine Kids (Radian manufacturer) also sells an infant/toddler pillow to go with the Radian called the comfy soft. The Recaro seats have a high base, whereas the Radian is flush with the seat (very nice for when kids can climb in on their own).

Another seat to consider is the First Years Truefit. 17.5" harness height, 65lb ff limit. It has a nice ff recline, lots of leg room, and lock offs to ease intallation. Good padding, nice wings, and lots of side impact protection. The Truefit does not have a base either.

G8r4evr

Thanks so much for all of the recommendations! They are coming over today and I think I am going to recommend the GN. The fear of internal decapitation just as me so worried for him =(

Maedze

I honestly wouldn't do the GN for a 1 year old. It's an extremely upright seat.

For a child of that age, obviously I wouldn't recommend a FF seat, but I'll pretend to myself he's 35 lbs, and tell you I'd go with the Recaro Signo or the Britax Boulevard, both of which have excellent SIP and a natural recline which is more comfortable for a baby.

Please impress upon them that is absolutely NECESSARY the baby always be in a car with top tethering capabilities and he should never ride in a car without the top tether done up.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I thought it was discussed once around here that some kind of load-limiting device (like the Radian's Safe Stop or Britax's rip-stitch tether) was especially valuable to young FFers. If that's so, you may want to add that to your points to consider. :shrug-shoulders:

Maedze

Excellent point! The Radian sits quite upright as a forward facing seat, so I'd hedge toward the Boulevard.

I'm not sure about the Recaros, but I don't *think* there's any built in load-limiting device. Can a Recaro owner comment? SPB, where are you?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I still think the Cozy Cline/SS2 is a good option here.

I'd avoid a Radian, it's SO upright, and babies (yep BABIES) that age, sleep in the car so much.

The Nautilus is also very upright, and has major head slump issues (IMO).

A Marathon, Boulevard, SS2 or Signo would be my top choices.

Maedze

I do like the SS2/KozyKline. Gigantic FAIL otherwise, but for babies who for one reason or another are forward facing, it's a nice little, entirely impractical, CRS.

fyrfightermomma

No the recaro has no load limiting device, but has great SIP with the other seats lack

I'd skip the GN. No "baby" is going to like that either sleeping or sitting up right

I'd go with all the other recommendations of a Signo, BLVD, or CozyCline

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i guess i would be concerned about the fact that many of these recommendations are for very expensive seats....you've already said you can't talk any "sense" into her...what is the "cents" situation like? I'm afraid you might scare her off completely by recommending a $300 blvd, kwim?
i do agree with gypsy, ma/blvd, cozycline, signo are probably the best choices.
Let me ask you this...will she buy another harnessed seat after this purchase,?? Or will it be booster-city at that point?
If so, I'd probably skip the blvd and cozyzline, since they have the lowest slots and/or weight, and might not get the child to a good booster age......at 14 months and 26 lbs isn't small......
So..I'd probably recommend the signo or marathon, even the evenflo triumph advance, possibly, since you can use it partially reclined in FF mode.

G8r4evr

What is a laod limiting device? Their budget is definitely tight, but I will definitely chip in to help if it means getting him a safer seat. She is just adamant that he is ready to face forward...because that's what her Ped said. I really like the Cozy Cline....I know all seats pass the same safety standards, but do you really think it would be one of the safer FF seats for a 1 year old..if there is such a thing.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
A load-limiting device (when top-tethered) helps absorb some of the forces on the baby's neck when forward-facing.

My concern with recommending a seat with a 40lb weight limit is that if he outgrows it before age four, they might just buy him a booster. :( At least with the EFTA, they won't get annoyed/frustrated when/if he outgrows it before he's ready for a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC