Getting a Radian to Europe

InternationalMama

Morganthe: I went to a store today and checked out the Britax First Class. Thanks for suggesting that. It's nice to know there is something local that would work short term if we need something in a hurry. It's such a tiny seat though! I bet my beanstalk child could outgrow it before he turns 1. :)

Adventure Dad: Too funny! We don't own a television! :)

I thought of another reason to file under comfort. I just can't imagine eating on a plane with my son sitting on my lap. I've tried it on a train and whenever I wasn't looking he grabbed something else and dropped it on the floor. He's at that age. :) Of course, if you needed to you could definitely do it. I just wouldn't want to try.

ETA: AD, I just can't believe you car seats always arrived. That's amazing. Amsterdam used to be a luggage black hole for me. And once my luggage didn't arrive with me even though I was on a nonstop flight!

Last edited:
ADS

Adventuredad

No television. What!?:D

Eating with a lap baby sucks. It's not I love sitting with a lap baby. I would rather be in Business class with the kids in the back...:whistle:

Eclipsepearl

I'm also in France and we use a Radian65. It's technically illegal but I have been stopped and checked many times (this is France...) and once I even installed it in a French police car (long story).

A friend coming from the States brought it over. She checked it as luggage in the original, unopened box, the only way it would be covered by the airlines in case of damage.

Normally, this is not ideal. I will point out that the Radian is made of steel, not plastic, so in theory, it should hold up better if it is banged around in the hold. I ordered it on line and had it shipped to her parents. I trusted it more in the original box than in a suitcase. Some baggage handlers claim that when they can clearly see that it's a car seat, they try to treat it appropriately and not crush it under other bags. The fact that the Radian folds also factored into my decision.

I do not promote doing this. I needed the seat in France as my dd was outgrowing her convertable and you can't get 5 point harnessed seats for children over 18kilos. I wasn't going back to the States for another 7 months. I tried in both Germany and France, even contacting Britax, etc. Nada. Once they hit 18kilos, they are supposed to go in a booster. Sweden is the only country I know of in Europe where higher harnessed seats are avaialble for "normal" children (some exceptions for handicapped children).

If it hadn't arrived with her, it wasn't a worry as my dd was still in her Scenera. It's not like when I travel with her and we need the seat right away at the airport. I arrived in Frankfurt once to find only one of my four bags on the belt. Good thing the Radian had been on board!

I do want to point out that Adventuredad has made some incorrect statements. Children can and have been injured in turbulence. It's plain wrong to say it hasn't happened but it's fact that the most accidents happen on take-off and landing. Children have been killed in accidents who would have survived if they had been in a car seat.

I know. I was a Flight Attendant for 13 years and I've done a lot more flying than he has :D

Remember that a lot of accident details that aren't released to the press and are not made available to the public. People tend to think if they can't find it on the internet, it didn't happen but that's not the truth. Think, if you lost a relatives in an accident, you wouldn't want the world to know that it was because they went to the front of the plane, instead of the closest available exit. In the awful event of losing a small child, you wouldn't want it the press to report it was because the parent didn't use a car seat on board. We had to look at the ugly pictures and listen to the accounts that the press didn't.

One exception was the mother of a boy in the Sioux City United accident in 1989. The mother and the Flight Attendant came out publically with this.

Also, when it comes down to checking car seats as luggage, people like Adventuredad will ALWAYS post and say "I did it and it went fine". The fact is that their seats could have been damaged and they don't know it. They only way they would find out is if they were in an accident and the seat didn't hold up the way it's supposed to. I hope they never find this out!

So everyone, be clear about two things; using a car seat on board greatly increases your child's chances of surviving an accident and it's NOT a good idea to check them in as luggage for many reasons.

Last edited:

Adventuredad

I do want to point out that Adventuredad has made some incorrect statements. Children can and have been injured in turbulence

Please don't put words in my mouth. I have not said kids are NEVER injured on planes. I've said its almost unheard of for children to be damaged by turbulence which is completely true.If you've been a flight attendant you should clearly know this. There are tens if not hundreds of millions of flights each year globally. Despite this massive amount of flights it's almost unheard of to have children injured on planes. This is official statistics, it's not something I'm making up.

Please feel free to provide statistics about all the thousands of children injured by turbulence and how many fatalities are caused by turbulence. There is no such data since kids on planes are safe.

If you've worked in the industry you should also know that a high percentage of the extremely few turbulence related accidents are caused by people not using a seat belt at all. Fasten seat belt sign is on but people don't use a seat belt. That's stupid. Lap belt and seat belt provide plenty of protection which all data shows.

The statement below sums up well just how safe flying is. That's during a 15 year period:

From 1981 to November, 1996, there were 252 reports of turbulence affecting major air carriers. As a result, two passengers died, 63 suffered serious injuries, and 863 received minor injuries. Both of the fatalities in these incidents involved passengers who were not wearing their seat belts while the seat belt sign was illuminated. Of the 63 passengers who were seriously injured, 59 were not wearing their seat belts while the seat belt sign was illuminated.

Also, when it comes down to checking car seats as luggage, people like Adventuredad will ALWAYS post and say "I did it and it went fine". The fact is that their seats could have been damaged and they don't know it. They only way they would find out is if they were in an accident and the seat didn't hold up the way it's supposed to. I hope they never find this out!

Car seats are not delicate glass ware, seats can handle more abuse than you can dream of. I pack my sets in special padded car seat bags with additional padding. Something could surely happen but seats are of course inspected before use. That's what I use, anyone can transport their seats anyway they want to. I'm well aware that seats could get injured and also that they could be delayed or lost. I usually have a backup plan in case this would happen.:D

You don't seem to have experience in how seats are transported to dealers. Seats are not padded, only in thin original plastic wrap, in a thin card board box. This is how seats go by plane, boat, truck, plane, etc. Your seat got to the dealer in a similar way as you transported it by plane to France. Or do you think each seat is hand carried all the way? I work with this every day and have seen the routines.

If you want to check your seat as luggage you might want to wrap your seat in three layers of bubble wrap first. Thats how I transport all seats when shipped globally. it offer good protection. Shipping it in an original box would provide poor protection and I would not advice anyone doing this.

using a car seat on board greatly increases your child's chances of surviving an accident

That's like planning for you 100 million Lotto check that MIGHT come next week. Accidents by plane are extremely rare and also often deadly. The amount of children saved by car seats in the past 30 years is extremely small. A rational person would look at the many billions of flights made and easily see that risks are insignificant. It might not FEEL that way but that's the way it is.

The difference between using a car seat on the plane and using nothing is as close to zero as you will ever get. It's safer but the difference is insignificant. Are you seriously saying you should use a car seat purely to potentially survive a crash? With that kind of logic you should keep your kids in a bubble and never go outside. Fact is anything you do is more dangerous for your kids than flying. No sure if you have done much math in school but looking at the probability of such an occurrence would make even the most paranoid person feel safe.

By putting this tremendous focus, I mean in general and not really this thread, on the dangers of flying we're causing many less informed parents to focus on the wrong thing. May are actually think kids are at high risk on planes without a car seat (not OP). IMHO it would save far more lives to foucs more on things such as rear facing longer or unreestrained kids in cars. This kills many kids each year, flying without a car eat does not.

We can discuss this forever. If you feel like flying is such a risky thing for children, please provide something that support this. Then we can discuss this further. Not opinions, real data. All official data and statistics say exactly the opposite, that flying with kids is the safest thing we can do regardless if using a car seat or not.

If you have some interesting statistics or data showing danger to kids on planes, please feel free to send a PM and we can discuss it further.

Last edited:

InternationalMama

A quick reply from me. Haven't got much time.

EclipsePearl: Thanks for your post. I think it's good to be reminded not all information out there is available on Google. :) I think I have seen a video about that 1989 crash you mention. Certainly made me want to bring a car seat on the plane!

It's also great to know about your experience checking a Radian. I never would have thought of that reason to keep it in the original box. But I don't know. I have a friend who worked for FedEx taking packages off of planes and I don't think they were any more gentle than a baggage handler would be so I still am thinking along the lines of AD that checking a seat may not be more potentially damaging than shipping it.

I really think I am going to try and bring one over. There is no other way I can have a seat for my son on the plane, unless I throw away 200 Euros on the FF Britax seat approved by the TÜV which, as someone above pointed out, wouldn't have a great install on the plane anyway since it's designed for install with a shoulder belt.

Adventure Dad: You mention yourself that people have been injured and killed because they weren't wearing their seatbelt when the fasten seatbelt sign was on. If I had taken my newborn on the plane without his car seat he would have been one of these people who was not wearing his seatbelt when the fasten seatbelt sign was on. Which you yourself say is stupid. So...I think you prove EP's point there. :) Would you support car seat use for children too young to wear seatbelts?

To me, there are so many reasons to bring a car seat on board and safety on the plane is just one of them (safety at your destination perhaps being an even more major one for me, but that depends on where you're going and what the situation will be when you arrive).

I have to say, I really agree with Adventure Dad's point that we need to keep the danger to kids on planes in perspective. I remember when I was pregnant women would worry about the craziest things that might endanger their fetus. All the way down to hot chocolate. And yet I never once heard anyone say they were going to stop riding in cars because it was the thing most likely to kill them and their unborn child. I am entirely with him on trying to help people get perspective on safety so they can focus their energy on those safety measures that make the most difference.

That said, I don't see why you (AD) would discourage people from doing something that -is- safer especially when it has so many other advantages. I think you can discourage paranoia without discouraging the use of car seats on planes.

Wow, I guess that wasn't such a quick reply!

Thanks to everyone who responded to your thread. It has been so helpful.

Adventuredad

Adventure Dad: You mention yourself that people have been injured and killed because they weren't wearing their seatbelt when the fasten seatbelt sign was on. If I had taken my newborn on the plane without his car seat he would have been one of these people who was not wearing his seatbelt when the fasten seatbelt sign was on. Which you yourself say is stupid. So...I think you prove EP's point there. Would you support car seat use for children too young to wear seatbelts?

When the fasten seat belt sign is on a parent sits down, fasten his/her own seat belt and then fasten the lap belt. This provides plenty of protection. If you don't have a lap belt you can hold your baby. Problem solved.

The simple stats I provided was for a 15 year period and only 2 people died. If passengers would have been using seat belts when fasten seat belt was on, as they should, only 4 would have been seriously injured. Considering 40 000+ people die in traffic each year, 500+ kids drown, 25 die of a falling television set, and 5000 kids die globally each year only from drinking Kerosene I think those odds are pretty phenomenal.

That said, I don't see why you (AD) would discourage people from doing something that -is- safer especially when it has so many other advantages. I think you can discourage paranoia without discouraging the use of car seats on planes.

I don't discourage car seat on planes. I say using a car seat on a plane PURELY for safety reasons is not rational. I have mentioned many times before other good reasons to bring a car seat on a plane. Reasons which have nothing to do with safety. Like comfort, keeping kids calm, having seat arrive at destination etc. But doing it internationally is unfortunately a nightmare due to the many different rules which apply. And the safely difference is insignificant which all data shows.

I think I have seen a video about that 1989 crash you mention. Certainly made me want to bring a car seat on the plane!

Perfect example of safety on a plane. This accident is sometimes mentioned. The fact we hve to go back 20 years to find this kind of data after many billions of flights is a perfect example of how safe it is.

If we bring car seats on planes purely for safety reasons, when data show there is no safety problem, then why don't we take similar precautions in daily lives with activities which are millions of times more dangerous?

I check my car seats in padded bags but it's a compromise. I would rather bring them on board but don't like, or can't, use them on a plane. I could gate check them but some airlines don't allow it and others put seats with regular luggage. Some do treat them nice.

IMHO, I think the sharp focus on car seats on planes distracts many less informed parents. Safety for kids on planes have been proven over the years to be extremely safe without a car seat. There is probably an extremely tiny safety difference though. But fatalities are zero or very close and at the same time we have a majority of parents turning kids forward facing in regular vehicles at 12 months. That's 500% less safe. So I guess my whole point is to focus on issues where there are real problems and lives can be saved instead of somehow projecting that there is a safety problem on planes.

Last edited:

InternationalMama

Hi again. :)

In this most recent post you say you don't discourage car seats on planes, but check a few posts back and this is what you said:

"Not sure about bringing them on a plane, I would advice not doing so."

Isn't that, um, discouraging?

I don't think we really disagree so I don't want to sound like I have a soapbox that I am on. But speaking of rationality, it doesn't make sense to say that the reason Swedes and other Europeans don't bring car seats on planes is because they've been taught flying is very safe and then to say that you yourself would "rather bring them [the car seats] on board."

And while I can imagine that bringing Swedish car seats on planes may be a nightmare as it doesn't sound like there is an organization there that certifies them for use on planes, if you have access to and use seats that are certified by a government organization (or I think the UN) it's really fairly easy, provided that you pay attention to the airline policy before you book your tickets and avoid airlines that don't have a clear policy. Maybe not worth it for some people, but not very difficult if it's important to you.

Additionally, what you said about accidents being unheard of and having to go back to 1989 to find an example of this happening doesn't really contradict EclipsePearl's point since she says they happen, but they aren't -heard of.- Neither flight attendants, parents or airlines are interested in publicizing them.

And as a final point, it seems strange to me that you would advocate strapping a "lap belt," by which I think you mean the loop belt used by British Airways, etc., onto your child as an alternative to them being in their own seatbelt in their own seat that is equally safe. As a PP on this thread mentioned, loop belts are actually -more- dangerous for the child than being unrestrained. (Less dangerous for other people on the flight, but more dangerous for the child.) Also, we all know that holding a child on your lap is not as safe as having them wearing a seatbelt. In fact, one of the reasons airlines sometimes recommend that children be held on the floor rather than on their parent's lap is because the parent could actually crush them during an emergency landing on their lap. Again, not as safe as a seatbelt in their own seat.

Of course, the risk is small. But I still don't see why you would (in your own words) advise against using a car seat on a plane. In my experience using a car seat on the plane has only positives except the expense of the ticket. And I guess the hassle you occasionally receive from airline employees or other passengers.

And I am happy to add "a television won't fall on my child" to my list of positives for not owning a TV as well. :) Would I avoid having a television just on the off chance it might fall on my child? I'm thinking no. But luckily there are so many other benefits! It's win, win. It's a good parallel really. :)

Adventuredad

In this most recent post you say you don't discourage car seats on planes, but check a few posts back and this is what you said:

"Not sure about bringing them on a plane, I would advice not doing so."

In this case I would not advice it since traveling internationally with car seats is a big mess. It has to do with airline regulations and national regulations. It sucks to get to the airport and get told the opposite of what you believed. I've been to 30+ countries and have seen it many times.

I
don't think we really disagree so I don't want to sound like I have a soapbox that I am on. But speaking of rationality, it doesn't make sense to say that the reason Swedes and other Europeans don't bring car seats on planes is because they've been taught flying is very safe and then to say that you yourself would "rather bring them [the car seats] on board."

You obviously didn't understand I would rather have them on board to protect them better, not to use them for my kids. Checking them as luggage is riskier than having tehm on board, it's a compromise.

And while I can imagine that bringing Swedish car seats on planes may be a nightmare as it doesn't sound like there is an organization there that certifies them for use on planes,

My kids have never been unrestrained in a vehicle (except bus, train, etc. ) despite what country I have been in. It's because kids die in traffic every day. We rear face to age 4 because there is a large safety benefit. If there was large safety benefit to using car seats on planes Swedes would have been doing that 30 years ago. Especially considering kids were rear facing in 1965. And I would never let my kids travel on a plane without a seat if it offered a large benefit. Researchers know it's safe and are therefore not trying to invent a problem or reason to use a car seat on planes purely for safety reasons.

provided that you pay attention to the airline policy before you book your tickets and avoid airlines that don't have a clear policy. Maybe not worth it for some people, but not very difficult if it's important to you.

LOL, you really don't know do you?:D You can look on this board or any other board and see that this is a complete mess. Every airline have different regulation and so does different countries. What it says on the website of an airline sometimes apply and sometimes it doesn't. Some staff doesn't know the rules etc. Regardless of what you may think it IS something most parents struggle with.

Additionally, what you said about accidents being unheard of and having to go back to 1989 to find an example of this happening doesn't really contradict EclipsePearl's point since she says they happen, but they aren't -heard of.- Neither flight attendants, parents or airlines are interested in publicizing them.

I said "almost unheard of" which means it may occur but is extremely rare. I've never said accidents don't happen. I'm well traveled and have seen the world, I know accidents happen. But if car seats offered such fantastic safety benefits we should have thousands of cases each year which we could cite in articles.

Airline industry is heavily regulated and accident statistics are not private. Airlines can't just have someone seriously injured or a fatality on a plane and just sweep it under the rug.

And as a final point, it seems strange to me that you would advocate strapping a "lap belt," by which I think you mean the loop belt used by British Airways, etc., onto your child as an alternative to them being in their own seatbelt in their own seat that is equally safe. As a PP on this thread mentioned, loop belts are actually -more- dangerous for the child than being unrestrained. (Less dangerous for other people on the flight, but more dangerous for the child.) Also, we all know that holding a child on your lap is not as safe as having them wearing a seatbelt. In fact, one of the reasons airlines sometimes recommend that children be held on the floor rather than on their parent's lap is because the parent could actually crush them during an emergency landing on their lap. Again, not as safe as a seatbelt in their own seat.

Lap belts are used yearly on tens of millions of flights and are safe. They are very common. If you have a lap baby you use a lap belt, if child has a seat regular seat belt is used. Isn't that obvious? I would not put my 5 year old in my lap during turbulence. Not sure how you can draw this conclusion.
And again, we are talking about opinions of lap belts and also of benefits that may be there but then again might not. Either way you look at it the safety difference is so small it's insignificant.

What makes flying so safe is not that lap belts are great or other reasons. Flying with kids is so safe because accidents rarely happen. If the airline industry suddenly got a thousand times less safe then we have to do something about safety.

Pointing to one case 20 years ago after billions of flights perfectly proves the point of how safe it is to fly with kids. With or without car seats. It's too bad people for some reason have trouble believing this despite a mountain of evidence.

This can be discussed forever and is pointless. Arguing that flying isn't safe enough without car seat when everything says otherwise is just not rational. How about we focus on something tha actually has a safety impact? Like rf or at least restraining kids.

I'm moving on. You must surely have way more info than needed now:whistle::D Good luck with whatever you decide on:thumbsup:

InternationalMama

I don't know.

I don't think I disagree with most of what you are saying (not nearly as much as you seem to think I disagree with anyway!) I just don't think you understand what -I- (or other posters) am saying. That's why I'm still talking about it.

For example, you say that I didn't understand what you were saying at one point in your last post, but really I think you didn't understand what I was saying. I did understand perfectly that you meant you wanted to bring your car seats on board to protect your seats. Maybe you could go back and read the sentences now knowing that I was not in any way confused and it would be clearer.

Then you say:

"Arguing that flying isn't safe enough without car seat when everything says otherwise is just not rational."

Did anybody say that flying isn't safe enough without car seats??? No. But now that I think about it "safe enough" is a relative term. (And for what it's worth in my view so is rationality.) The impression I get from your posts is that you've had arguments about this so many times that you don't really hear what the people you are talking to are saying...

And I definitely do know that many people find it hard to figure out car seat regulations on planes. I am in fact doing my best to help a poster on this board figure out this very thing. I know it can be confusing for people. I think this confusion stems primarily (if not exclusively) from not checking their airlines policy ahead of time and not understanding the difference between who they bought their ticket from and who the plane is operated by. If my experience ever changes my view, I'll let you know. :)

Anyway, for someone who so adamantly doesn't want to spend time talking about using car seats on planes you certainly seem to be good at picking fights about it!

But since I'm not sure you are still reading this thread I'll just drop it now! Saturdays are too precious to waste.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Please feel free to provide statistics about all the thousands of children injured by turbulence and how many fatalities are caused by turbulence. There is no such data since kids on planes are safe.

Perhaps they are super secret statistics and private personal communications? After all, the United States would not want to share any proprietary data on keeping kids safe in airplanes and relinquish its world leadership on this important issue;-)

joyride

Shipping USPS International Express was 157½ USD at the time That was 1½ years ago.
Back to Topic!
Shipping USPS Ground should be possible and really cheap. But will take some weeks!
But you first need the packing sizes and weight to compare the different possiblilities.
Joy

InternationalMama

About Ground: Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't been able to ship Ground using USPS in a long time. I thought they didn't offer that service for international deliveries anymore? I can't find any info about it on their website... If I'm just confused I'd love for it to be cleared up so I can save some money!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but a Radian won't fit rear facing on a plane. It's too big front to back.

How about a Scenera? It's lightweight, narrow, has a rear facing limit of 35 pounds and a tall shell, fits well rear and forward facing on planes, and won't cost as much to ship over.

Our Radian has been all over the world, and I've had some worrisome installations in non US market cars. But I've always been able to get it in well enough to drive, just maybe on this side of acceptable, far from where I'm comfortable.

You can get a backpack or a luggage trolley for the Scenera and just carry it or wheel it around if it's not in a car and you need to carry it. I know most European carriers don't allow rear facing plane installations, but a Scenera would give you that option if they do. Or if you're on an American carrier where you can rear face to the limits of the seat.

HTH

Wendy

InternationalMama

Wendy: What is it about the Radian that makes it not fit RFing on the plane? What if you put it in a bulkhead seat?

I did hear that it can only FF on planes, but since the only option available here would also FF on the plane I figured it was an okay compromise.

I somehow thought the Scenera would be too big to ship since it doesn't fold. It would definitely be too big to bring on a plane as checked luggage, I think. Or maybe I'm wrong? I know people traveling with children check car seats that size, but I figured it wasn't allowed if you weren't traveling with a child (as the person bringing it over wouldn't be).

If the car has LATCH installed I have read that it is pretty easy to install a Radian? Have you had problems with European cars even when they had LATCH?

Thanks for the tips! I just bought my son a seat on the plane today so now I'm committed to get something for him to sit in.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wendy: What is it about the Radian that makes it not fit RFing on the plane? What if you put it in a bulkhead seat?

It's very large front to back. A bulkhead seat would work, if you could guarantee on every flight you can get a bulkhead. But that has a whole other set of issues, like no under seat storage.

I did hear that it can only FF on planes, but since the only option available here would also FF on the plane I figured it was an okay compromise.

In Europe, sure. On American carriers it shouldn't be allowed since it goes against regulations for the seat to use it forward facing for one so young, so the airlines could make you either not use it or turn it rear facing. But of course European airlines don't care about FMVSS213.

I somehow thought the Scenera would be too big to ship since it doesn't fold. It would definitely be too big to bring on a plane as checked luggage, I think. Or maybe I'm wrong? I know people traveling with children check car seats that size, but I figured it wasn't allowed if you weren't traveling with a child (as the person bringing it over wouldn't be).

The box will be shorter, about as wide, but deeper. However, it'll be about 13 pounds less. So that should be taken into consideration when shipping. I don't know if someone without a child would have to pay extra for it to be checked.

If the car has LATCH installed I have read that it is pretty easy to install a Radian? Have you had problems with European cars even when they had LATCH?

The seat hasn't been to Europe. In China my only option was the front seat with a locking clip and that worked fine. It didn't work well in an American Lincoln in the Caribbean with LATCH, but went in fine with the seatbelt. In a Japanese Honda it was no go on the sides and it was just barely acceptable in the middle. That was a 2004 car and it didn't have tethers or LATCH. I've not had problems with it, other than the Lincoln, in American cars with LATCH, but I haven't tried it in Europe with ISOFIX. My other concern with it in Europe would be that their cars are generally MUCH smaller than US cars, and the Radian front to back is huge. It may not fit well in many European cars.

Thanks for the tips! I just bought my son a seat on the plane today so now I'm committed to get something for him to sit in.

You're in a unique situation. What about buying a European RFing seat to bring with you to the US this summer, then buy something here then and leave the European seat here, or check it home with you?

Wendy

InternationalMama

It's very large front to back. A bulkhead seat would work, if you could guarantee on every flight you can get a bulkhead. But that has a whole other set of issues, like no under seat storage.Wendy

Yeah, I don't love the bulkhead. But I could get it on the flights if I wanted. Frequent flyer. :)

In Europe, sure. On American carriers it shouldn't be allowed since it goes against regulations for the seat to use it forward facing for one so young, so the airlines could make you either not use it or turn it rear facing. But of course European airlines don't care about FMVSS213.Wendy

Believe it or not the -only- seat I can find in Europe that is approved for use in airplanes and fits my son is a FF -only- seat. No RFing available...

I've not had problems with it, other than the Lincoln, in American cars with LATCH, but I haven't tried it in Europe with ISOFIX. My other concern with it in Europe would be that their cars are generally MUCH smaller than US cars, and the Radian front to back is huge. It may not fit well in many European cars. Wendy

Thanks for the explanation!

What about buying a European RFing seat to bring with you to the US this summer, then buy something here then and leave the European seat here, or check it home with you? Wendy

Believe it or not there isn't a single RFing seat in the EU that my son will fit into that is approved for use on airplanes. My original plan had been to do exactly what you suggest flying to the US with his infant bucket and then flying back with something else, but he outgrew the bucket too fast!

I'm still going over the options...

lenats31

Back to Topic!

Joy

Hmm, did I miss something here or did you?

OP did ask about shipping it.

Lena

OP: Edited to say that my Regent which is also a very heavy seat did not come from a business in the USA. A family sold it to me - completely new and never out of the box. they did not enclose the invoice. The Customs Department withheld it for inspection, and asked me to send them proof of purchase so they could calculate the VAT and paperwork fee. Otherwise they would not deliver the seat. The VAT applies to all European countries.

Last edited:

InternationalMama

Lena: I think she meant the last few posts above hers were OT, not what you wrote. :)

She was just quoting you to point out that you shipped international express and she thought ground would be cheaper. That's how I read it anyway.

Except I'm not sure ground is an option? Isn't listed on the USPS website anyway.

lenats31

Lena: I think she meant the last few posts above hers were OT, not what you wrote. :)

She was just quoting you to point out that you shipped international express and she thought ground would be cheaper. That's how I read it anyway.

Except I'm not sure ground is an option? Isn't listed on the USPS website anyway.

OH that! She quoted me, and wrote "Back to topic!" underneath it and that confused me.:eek:

Anyway, I just looked at USPS.com. They don´t do ground service for international parcel deliveries. This is also what I was told the post office personell at the local post office in my hometown in DK, when I sent a seat to the USA in December 2008. I asked if it would be sent Ground or Air. They replied that Ground was no-longer an option to and from the USA.:)

Lena

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC