Favorite Carrier for Toddler?

MoreLatte

I'm looking for something to hold my 32# 2yr old. My frame-style backpack carrier killed my back and shoulders last year on our hiking trips, and she's bigger this year, lol.

What will work best for a toddler? I've checked out the Beco and Ergo on-line, but I'm just not sure. I likely won't have any place around here to try one out.

ADS

Kyras_Mama

For something as long as a hiking trip, I'd say TRY the Ergo. There are a few sites online that will let you return with no issues if you don't like it. Our dd isn't that big yet (13 months and petite) but I've worn our 3 year old godson in it on my back for long periods of time with no trouble and he's not even used to being worn. I have back issues and can't wear the frame carriers even with just my dd in them, the few times we have borrowed one or switched with someone else on a trip so they could try our Ergo they've just killed my back because they hold her too far away from me.

Pixels

I really like a properly-adjusted frame backpack with a waist belt. I have used an improperly-adjusted one (it was designed for a man, and I couldn't adjust it short enough for 5'4" me), and it was not pleasant. I have a Snugli-brand one that I love. It has a lot of adjustments, and is easy and quick to adjust so DH and I can switch back and forth easily.

The hip strap takes the load off your shoulders. I usually adjust it so that the hips are taking most of the load, and my shoulders really are just balancing it.

ed_tricia

I have an angelpack LX, which is very similar to the beco. Last time I used it, DD was about 27 lbs. It distributes the weight really well, and even with some back problems and having a small build, I can carry her for an hour or two. I would recommend either of these carriers if you have a tall kid. The ergo is structurally similar, but the back is much lower, allowing taller kids to lean more, which can throw off your balance.
I would also say you should check out thebabywearer.com forums. You can search for ssc (soft structured carriers)to get comparisons, and maybe even find someone local that could let you try some on before you buy.

urchin_grey

I really like my Ergo. :) I think it will really depend on your frame and your kiddo though. Mine doesn't hurt my back at all unless I've been wearing it a long time, but it seems to kill my sister's back after only 30 minutes (he DS is bigger than mine though and she's smaller than me LOL).

http://www.myfavoritebabycarrier.com/ offers a 90 day trial though and you can return it if it doesn't work for you.

skipspin

We have a Beco 4th gen carrier and it works well for my ds (he's about 31lbs). We also have a Kanga XT-it has a slightly wider and taller seat, so it's more supportive for him. http://hyenacart.com/blookangaroo/index.php?c=20

My Beco Butterfly works great for DS, but I would trade it for a 4th gen if I wasn't going to have a newborn to use it with shortly. The 4th gen is much easier to get bigger kids in and out of IMO. Both are very comfy even for 115 lb me carrying my almost 30# chunk.

I also have an Angelpack MT that I love. It's not as great for a LONG hike or something, but I prefer it for shorter trips (and when I'm pregnant.)

I've heard great things about the Xanga XT too, but I've never seen one.

MoreLatte

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I really like the look of the Kanga XT and the Angelpack XL, but can't bring myself to spend that much.

Soooo, I think I've decided on the Ergo from myfavoritebabycarrier.com(Awesome site, by the way:thumbsup:) Now I just need to choose black or tan.

flutie128

I have 2, one has a weight printed on the tag on the waist belt and one doesn't. I figure I just carry him in the one without the weight limit.

Rockafeller

I love my ergo carrier (I only use it on my back, not hips or front), my two boys love it too. Usually just DS#2 (27 pounds) gets a ride but DS#1 (34 pounds) loves to ride in it too. I use it mostly for errands when I know my 1 1/2 year old isn't going to sit in the shopping cart (since he wants to walk everywhere). It's great for hiking too. They usually fall asleep in it and once you've got the hang of it you can do it on your own (I can even transfer them into their car seats without waking them!).

MoreLatte

My Beco Butterfly works great for DS, but I would trade it for a 4th gen if I wasn't going to have a newborn to use it with shortly. The 4th gen is much easier to get bigger kids in and out of IMO. Both are very comfy even for 115 lb me carrying my almost 30# chunk.

Ok, loading the kiddo is something I've been thinking about. Thats what I hate about the frame-style carriers, having to put them in then lift it up on my back.
Does anyone have any thoughts on which is easier to load/unload? I found load/unload pics of the ergo, it looks simple enough.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I've never tried an Ergo... we have a Beco (a butterfly that I ripped apart and converted to a 4th Gen). With the Butterfly, you need to put them in and then toss them on your back. With the 4th Gen, you toss them on your back and then pull the straps up and over your shoulders... this is why I converted my butterfly to a 4th Gen.

We used it on a daily basis at DisneyWorld with my 32lbs, 41" 3.5 year old last month and I adored it.

DS2 took a nap in it everyday. :D
3293116692_7db352ec9c.jpg

We chose the Beco over the Ergo because the Beco was taller (by 3" I think) and wider (1") than the Ergo... I thought it would contain DS better and be more comfy with the wider/taller fabric holding him in.

If you can sew a straight seam and use a seam ripper, I created step by step instructions for converting a Butterfly to a 4th Gen... takes a little time, but it's not hard. :)

MoreLatte

Oh, thanks for the great picture and link! Your DS looks quite comfy. I like that the back comes up higher.

I was all set on the Ergo, but the higher back of the Beco is appealing since she is quite the wiggle worm. I just don't think I have the patience to drag out the sewing machine and transform it. Maybe I'll search for a 4th gen.

Or now I'm thinking the Toddler Hawk looks pretty similar, too.

munchkin

The Ergo has a lower back. Here is a pic of me 'holding' M. She is average height (4 years 41 inches). She has lots of room to move around. She actually prefers the Ergo to the Beco (Butterfly), because of the room, definitely not good for sleeping in. I prefer the Beco for E, because he is wigglier and sleeps more in the carrier.

Please excuse how bad she looks, she was up all night puking and with a temp of 102 :(.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoreLatte

Thanks! She is so cute and looks so pleasant for being sick.

The more I see the Ergo, I'm just not sure it will have enough support. I'm still thinking maybe I should just buy one and give it a try.

I really am starting to lean towards the Toddlerhawk, too, but I'm confused about the baby/toddler part :confused:. They all look the same to me. There's one on ebay I really like, but I'm afraid I'm going to order the wrong one.

ed_tricia

The toddlerhawk is different than the other carriers mentioned. It is a mai tei (MT) style, which has straps that you tie on, where as the others are all buckle carriers (SSC-soft structured carrier) and you just click and adjust. The toddlerhawk is about 2" taller than the babyhawk, but structurally they're about the same. I find MTs and SSCs to both be pretty supportive, but your preference may depend on your build, the build of your child, whether front or back carries are more important, and how squirmy or sleepy your kid is. I made my own MTs and loved them when DD was little and I wore her in front. When she got heavier/taller, I preferred carrying her on my back and opted for the ease and extra support of my angelpack LX (again, very similar to beco). Another important difference between beco/ergo/aplx and the toddlerhawk is the waistbelt. With the toddlerhawk, you put it on by tying the waistband with the fabric rectangle hanging in front of you like an apron, then pull it up to form kind of a pocket, with the kid sitting in the crease. Then you pull the fabric behind kid's back and tie the straps either backpack style or you can criss cross. With the beco style carriers, the waistband has a foam padding that forms a shelf for the kid to sit on. These are usually designed to be worn lower on the hips to distribute the greater weight, like in a hiking backpack. Other than that, it's pretty much like putting on a backpack and the webbing can be adjusted and the chest belt clipped for a tighter, more secure feel.
I know it's a little longwinded, but just wanted to make sure you were aware how different the two types are. They are both good, and many people use either or both from newborn up. I've seen them used with 4 or 5 year olds even.

ed_tricia

Ok, loading the kiddo is something I've been thinking about. Thats what I hate about the frame-style carriers, having to put them in then lift it up on my back.
Does anyone have any thoughts on which is easier to load/unload? I found load/unload pics of the ergo, it looks simple enough.

tip-practice at home either on the couch or bed, and preferably with a spotter the first few times.
I'm going to assume you'd want to do a back carry, since she's older. Front carries are easy to figure out, and back don't take too long to get comfortable with. I usually buckle the hip belt first and get it to about the right position and tightness. Then I pick up DD, and hold her on one hip while I bend forward and slide her onto my back. I put one arm through the shoulder strap. Then I use one hand on her back to hold her steady and the other hand to pull the fabric over her back. Then I put the other arm in the other shoulder strap and kind of bounce with my hand under her bum to get her in position, then adjust the straps as needed and buckle the chest clip.
I think several of the websites have directions w/ pics or videos, and I know there are several youtubes of how to get a kid on your back.
For unloading-I undo chest clip, hold her back and bend forward a little, then slip off one shoulder strap and hold her against me and slide her down my back.

MoreLatte

Thanks for the comparison! And loading/unloading tips:)

I ended up ordering a Toddlerhawk. I finally figured out the difference between that one and a Babyhawk. I thought there was a difference in the headrest piece, but then found that its just a longer body. I'm going to give it a try and may go ahead and get an Ergo, too, so I can see which works out better.

Initially, I was just planning to use it for hiking. But the more I thought about it, I thought it would be handy for errands and such, too if I can find a super comfy one thats easy to use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC