Interesting booster study

twinsmom

I just read this yesterday...I swear I want my kids in boosters forever.... waaaah :( http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-01/esv/esv19/05-0258-O.pdf

This study was mentioned by Joolsplus3 in another thread. It seems to have interesting info in relation to boosters w/without LATCH and tethers. I've read in other places that latch/tethers in booster may help with side-impact, but this study seems to imply that they may help with frontal impact as well:

"The results of this study, though still preliminary, suggest that protection, specifically of the chest, may be enhanced if the booster seat is anchored to the vehicle seat, as one would attach a CSR. Use of the LATCH and tether produces a more effective coupling than typically produced by the vehicle's lap/shoulder belt."

The data about the 5-pt harness for 4-6 yr olds vs. booster was also interesting though didn't seem conclusive.:

"Restraining the dummy in a CSR rated to the appropriate weight limit may be a viable option for children between the ages of four and six. The chest is restrained by a 5-pt harness, which distributes the loads well and effectively couples both the upper and lower torso of the dummy to the vehicle. Though the neck loads remained elevated, the level of injury risk that may be associated with these values is not known and further investigation, through accident reconstruction is needed to validate the biofidelity of the dummy neck........the stiffness of the dummy spine contributed to high neck forces and moments that were not representative of the injury potential." I thought this was interesting in relation to the Swedish studies about neck loads in FF 5-pt harnesses.

Anyway, if this info is already well known, sorry! It was new to me!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Interesting, isn't it? I think I'll use it as an excuse to replace the Parkway in my van with a Monterey (I've printed up the study, I'll highlight the relevant bits and leave it on DH's desk :whistle:)

NannyMom

So does anyone think a LATCHable booster (ie- GN) would be better than a booster with biggeri headwings (ie- Vivo)? I was thinking about getting J a Vivo when he outgrows the GN in harness mode (if finances allow by then). I like that it has bigger head wings. But, maybe we should just keep the GN.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think this study may answer the question of why some manufacturers allow it and some don't. Interesting that there were 2 seats that consistently had higher injury values when used with LATCH/tether compared to just the seatbelt, while the remainders seemed to perform better when LATCH/tether was used. Interestingly enough the loads on the dummy were also among the lowest on the 2 boosters which performed better without LATCH/tether when compared to the other results.

(I'm wondering why they did LATCH/tether for terminology instead of UAS/tether considering it's a Canadian paper and LATCH already includes tether. :confused: )

Wineaux

And Rigid LATCH in boosters has been shown to offer even more safety in side impact crashes than flexible LATCH. Seriously, there are not enough booster seat choices out there with Rigid LATCH. We need more. Lots more. Are the manufacturer's reps who visit here listening.....

Girly_Qs

And Rigid LATCH in boosters has been shown to offer even more safety in side impact crashes than flexible LATCH. Seriously, there are not enough booster seat choices out there with Rigid LATCH. We need more. Lots more. Are the manufacturer's reps who visit here listening.....

I hope so! :thumbsup:

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the Oobr and the new Britax (Parkway 120?) to get details/try them out/etc to make this decision. More options are ALWAYS good!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC