Apex 65...furious with my DH!!

taffy625

First of all, I do apologize if I am posting in the wrong section. I wasn't sure where to put this.

We have an Apex 65 in MIL's car. DH recently moved the harness up to the highest slot (DS is very tall). I noticed that the vehicle headrest is not behind the seat, it's in the trunk of MIL's car. I told MIL and DH both last weekend that the headrest must be in place. This morning, the three of them left in her car without the headrest in place. Just before they left, I told DH to put the headrest in place. I watched him strap DS into the seat and then start to get in the car. I opened the door and again told him to put the headrest on. He got mad because I was "watching over him". He started to open the trunk, looked at his watch and then got in the car and they drove away without the headrest in place. Maybe I'm overreacting, but what could happen if the headrest is not in place? The seat sticks up about 6 inches or more above the seat back and DS head is still below the seat back. I know he was running late for their outing (he's running a road race today), but how could he be so selfish and potentially put our child in danger?????

ADS

keri1292

As long as ds's head is below the seat back, it's not necessary yet. The seatback is providing the support.

When you're calm talk to dh about how worried you are and why it needs to be done properly. ;)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
:yeahthat:

You don't need a HEADREST, per se; you need support behind the child up to his eye level. You won't need the headrest until his eyes/top of his ears get to the top of the seatback.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
And to answer your other question - if his head was above the level of the vehicle seat back, in a crash the Apex could fail to provide adequate head restraint, leading to whiplash injuries (the severity of which would depend entirely on the severity of the crash).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC