Moderator - CPST Instructor
- Safeguard
- Decathlon
- Regent
- Traveller Plus
- Nautilus
- Safeseat 2 (Cozycline)
- Some other seat that must've come off a European site somewhere

Me: "not available in Canada, not available in Canada but the MA is close, not available in Canada, special needs seat only, right over here, not available in Canada, not available in Canada."

Guess that made their choice easier? :p

The bummer part was they were shopping for a 21lb baby just shy of 1yr old and would only consider putting that baby ff'ing. They were basically going to keep the seat for 2wks, then start using it. At least they had a SS1 so they weren't using an outgrown infant carrier this whole time trying to get to 1yr. :rolleyes: At least the Nautilus fits little kids well... I'm pretty sure that's what they'll buy in the end. *sigh*

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Sounds like one of my customers, except they had a peg and they wanted to Evenflo Generations. Yeah, great.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Why is Canada so limited to their choices? I remember the Radian being able to be used to 48 lbs or something? Can you guys use the Marathons and True Fit's to 65 lbs?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Why is Canada so limited to their choices? I remember the Radian being able to be used to 48 lbs or something? Can you guys use the Marathons and True Fit's to 65 lbs?

We have different standards in Canada vs. the US and some seats pass in the US but fail in Canada. In other cases the manufacturer doesn't want to bring it in for whatever reason. The upper weight limit manufacturers can put on their seats is 65lbs. (With the exception of a few custom restraints that are only available through referral of a doctor/OT and dealing with TC to import the seat.)

I couldn't say individually for each seat why they aren't available. Decathlon I'd say just demand - the BLVD wasn't available here for the longest time either. Safeseat 2 I suspect is standards - they advertised it as coming to Canada, but then it never came. Regent I suspect is standards as well in addition to Britax not wanting to lower the weight limit to 65lbs. Safeguard could be simply that they don't have a national safety mark and haven't wanted to go to the time and expense of the paper work - no clue on that one really. They could have a national safety mark # assigned to them and just not have brought the seat here for whatever reason. Traveller plus is only special needs because they don't want 80lb kids without special needs in a harness - and it's weight limit is actually 105lbs IIRC.

So that's kind of it in a nutshell. The Decathlon shell is slightly different from the MA and BLVD, so I guess it's possible it didn't pass CMVSS testing either now that I think about it - I really don't know. 100% speculation on my part.

The Radian has had a 65lb ff'ing limit on it since May of 2007, the MA since Sept 2007, and the TF since it arrived in June of 2008. The Nautilus, Frontier, and Apex all have 65lb limits as well. So we do have a good selection of seats - they just didn't happen to match the seats the parents had looked for. I'm guessing they'd looked at reviews on a US site...

shauburg

You mean they did all the research to come up with that list and did not even come across the benefits of extended RF? :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC