Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Car Seat Recycling

I do it here in Omaha along with another mom and it's been a very grass roots effort. I have talked to SO many that have held onto their old seats knowing they were expired but did not want to throw them away. We are getting together next month for the 2nd time to tear them apart piece by piece and take the correct parts to the correct recycling center.

I see a lot of talk on here about throwing them away, but would love to see more about recycling them. I also wondered where else in the US these programs are implemented or being started. Are you familiar with any? And if you have success running one, maybe we could trade pointers?

Thanks!
    Vicki
    Mom to Cole, 8
    Ella, 4
    Eli, 26m

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Car Seat Recycling

Denver, CO and Portland, OR both have a program. I tried to start one, but couldn't find a place to recycle the parts, so now I just take it all to Portland.

CPS Fanatic

Is there a program in the Maryland area? I will have a few seats that need recycle in the next year or soon but only if I convince DH to let me buy more seat.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

We don't have a specific program (though I'd love one) but if you strip off all fabric and foam parts you can recycle them at our local Recycle Center by dropping in the scrap metal and plastic bin by the back door. It will be disassembled by volunteers there and the correct parts recycled appropriately.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki J View Post
    I do it here in Omaha along with another mom and it's been a very grass roots effort. I have talked to SO many that have held onto their old seats knowing they were expired but did not want to throw them away. We are getting together next month for the 2nd time to tear them apart piece by piece and take the correct parts to the correct recycling center.

I see a lot of talk on here about throwing them away, but would love to see more about recycling them. I also wondered where else in the US these programs are implemented or being started. Are you familiar with any? And if you have success running one, maybe we could trade pointers?

Thanks!
    Vicki
    Mom to Cole, 8
    Ella, 4
    Eli, 26m
    I was wondering who was doing this in omaha. A friend talked about it when we were out in Blair. I have a laptop that is 7yr that needs to go. We will be in omaha in about a week. Could I bring it to you? I would love to start one here. We live near cedar rapids iowa. Our recycling will only take plastic with a triangle on it. I don't find a triangle on very many.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Quote Originally Posted by flutie128 View Post
    Is there a program in the Maryland area? I will have a few seats that need recycle in the next year or soon but only if I convince DH to let me buy more seat.
    I don't think MD has one. But I sure wish we did! I just rescued 2 more seats from the trash/recycle area at our apt complex. We were driving past it and A told me there were 2 carseats sitting there. So.... we had to turn around They looked very usable, but are both expiring this year. A CS and a Generations I think (w/o harness).
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Cool Re: Car Seat Recycling

Stephanie -

I'm collecting them at my home currently in Gretna and Angie over by the Med Center, but our next demolition project is April 4th. The seat can be dropped off at either one of our homes before then. Please email me via the CL posting.
    Here's my Craigslist posting. It's under Omaha Craigslist, Baby and Kids, if the link doesn't work.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/bab/1063903884.html

It's certainly been a labor of love, but the local recycling centers have been very accommodating. We even have a lady that makes purses/diaper bags out of the belts, buckles, and any usable covers. I also might try and make a backyard climbing thing out of the belts, I saw something like it at a local kid's gym. Anyone can start a project, it's just time consuming, but local groups like the girl scouts have been amazing volunteers. We did the first disassembly project at a park, but the next one will be at my church with free facilities. It was so rewarding to see 100+ car seat shells lined up at the plastics plant knowing that we saved them from our local landfill. We had seats brought in from as old as 1985!

Vicki

Sounds like you have a great program going - Good job!!

What does your plastics plant do with the shells? From the research done by the very successful recycling program in Portland, incinerating the shells releases major amounts of toxic pollutants into the air. They recommend making sure that your recycler shreds the plastic for re-use and does not burn it for energy.

Again, I think you are doing a wonderful and much-needed thing for your community!
    Last edited by spokaneCPST; 03-07-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    Renee
    CPST-I and Special Needs Trained
    Mom to 22yo seatbelt, 17yo seatbelt, 10yo Parkway, Harmony, or Big Kid, 10yo Parkway, Harmony, or Big Kid