Car Seat Recycling

Vicki J

I do it here in Omaha along with another mom and it's been a very grass roots effort. I have talked to SO many that have held onto their old seats knowing they were expired but did not want to throw them away. We are getting together next month for the 2nd time to tear them apart piece by piece and take the correct parts to the correct recycling center.

I see a lot of talk on here about throwing them away, but would love to see more about recycling them. I also wondered where else in the US these programs are implemented or being started. Are you familiar with any? And if you have success running one, maybe we could trade pointers?

Thanks!
Vicki
Mom to Cole, 8
Ella, 4
Eli, 26m:)

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Denver, CO and Portland, OR both have a program. I tried to start one, but couldn't find a place to recycle the parts, so now I just take it all to Portland.

flutie128

Is there a program in the Maryland area? I will have a few seats that need recycle in the next year or soon but only if I convince DH to let me buy more seat.:whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We don't have a specific program (though I'd love one) but if you strip off all fabric and foam parts you can recycle them at our local Recycle Center by dropping in the scrap metal and plastic bin by the back door. It will be disassembled by volunteers there and the correct parts recycled appropriately.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I do it here in Omaha along with another mom and it's been a very grass roots effort. I have talked to SO many that have held onto their old seats knowing they were expired but did not want to throw them away. We are getting together next month for the 2nd time to tear them apart piece by piece and take the correct parts to the correct recycling center.

I see a lot of talk on here about throwing them away, but would love to see more about recycling them. I also wondered where else in the US these programs are implemented or being started. Are you familiar with any? And if you have success running one, maybe we could trade pointers?

Thanks!
Vicki
Mom to Cole, 8
Ella, 4
Eli, 26m:)

I was wondering who was doing this in omaha. A friend talked about it when we were out in Blair. I have a laptop that is 7yr that needs to go. We will be in omaha in about a week. Could I bring it to you? I would love to start one here. We live near cedar rapids iowa. Our recycling will only take plastic with a triangle on it. I don't find a triangle on very many.

NannyMom

Is there a program in the Maryland area? I will have a few seats that need recycle in the next year or soon but only if I convince DH to let me buy more seat.:whistle:

I don't think MD has one. But I sure wish we did! I just rescued 2 more seats from the trash/recycle area at our apt complex. We were driving past it and A told me there were 2 carseats sitting there. So.... we had to turn around :) They looked very usable, but are both expiring this year. A CS and a Generations I think (w/o harness).

Vicki J

Stephanie -

I'm collecting them at my home currently in Gretna and Angie over by the Med Center, but our next demolition project is April 4th. The seat can be dropped off at either one of our homes before then. Please email me via the CL posting.
Here's my Craigslist posting. It's under Omaha Craigslist, Baby and Kids, if the link doesn't work.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/bab/1063903884.html

It's certainly been a labor of love, but the local recycling centers have been very accommodating. We even have a lady that makes purses/diaper bags out of the belts, buckles, and any usable covers. I also might try and make a backyard climbing thing out of the belts, I saw something like it at a local kid's gym. Anyone can start a project, it's just time consuming, but local groups like the girl scouts have been amazing volunteers. We did the first disassembly project at a park, but the next one will be at my church with free facilities. It was so rewarding to see 100+ car seat shells lined up at the plastics plant knowing that we saved them from our local landfill. We had seats brought in from as old as 1985!

Vicki

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Sounds like you have a great program going - Good job!!

What does your plastics plant do with the shells? From the research done by the very successful recycling program in Portland, incinerating the shells releases major amounts of toxic pollutants into the air. They recommend making sure that your recycler shreds the plastic for re-use and does not burn it for energy.

Again, I think you are doing a wonderful and much-needed thing for your community!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC