Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

locking clip or locking seatbelt

I finally got a pool noddle so I can install my scenera RF. DH installed with the seatbelt and locking clip. Then the seatbelt was also locked but it was tipping the seat up. Without the locking clip and only locking the seatbelt the seat wasn't that tight. So DH just did the locking clip and did not lock the seatbelt. He got a install that way but is he suppose to use the seatbelt locking feature or the locking clip? I thought the locking clip was for those seatbelts that didn't lock but this was a tighter fit. I jus want to make sure it is installed correctly before we decide if it is worth keeping as our second seat. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: locking clip or locking seatbelt

You can use a locking clip if the seat keeps tipping. Locking seatbelts are easier but as long as you use the locking clip correctly (1/2" to 1" from the buckle, closer the better), that is totally safe.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I'd use the locking clip...try a couple times, maybe with both of you, to see if you can get it as tight as you like it. I only say that because I once installed my Scenera RF perfectly (with the seatbelt, and switched the retractor), then when I was driving I had to slam on the brakes on a curve once, and it tipped totally up on it's side... fortunately my dd slept through it! Here's the pictures... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/TippyScenera#
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Wow Jools, that is quite the tip! I've never seen a seat tip that much so suddenly before.

To the OP, I'd also use a locking clip in this situation, and leave the seatbelt unlocked.
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

Ditto what the others said. I installed two Sceneras rock solid in my car with just the seat belt but the shoulder belt was slowly making them tip towards the center more and more. I've always had tilt problems with the Scenera though, even in the center with the lap belt only. I reinstalled with the locking clip though (left the belt unlocked) and now they are both perfectly level.
    Carly
    mom to Bram [10 years/32lbs/41" - BT 3-in-1 & Nauti]
    ...and TTC an excuse to buy a new seat since 2/2013

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

My Ford has retractors on steroids...in fact, the reason that other seat was folded down was because it was STUCK down, the seatbelt had switched when it was down. We had to get it replaced at the dealer to be able to get the seat back up again (so no, normally I don't drive around with groceries free-floating in the back of my car with the seats down )
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Thank you all!! I am so happy I can tell DH that it is installed correctly with the locking clip and leaving the seatbelt unlocked. There was a lot of arguing about getting a "cheap" seat for a second occasional seat when it was hard to install. Now that we have a good tight install I am happy we can keep it. I also loved the video on youtube about rear facing install. That helped DH a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    My Ford has retractors on steroids...in fact, the reason that other seat was folded down was because it was STUCK down, the seatbelt had switched when it was down. We had to get it replaced at the dealer to be able to get the seat back up again (so no, normally I don't drive around with groceries free-floating in the back of my car with the seats down )
    Mmmm, corn flakes. Well you know, in case the kid in the sideways seat gets hungry there is food in easy reach? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
    Ditto what the others said. I installed two Sceneras rock solid in my car with just the seat belt but the shoulder belt was slowly making them tip towards the center more and more. I've always had tilt problems with the Scenera though, even in the center with the lap belt only. I reinstalled with the locking clip though (left the belt unlocked) and now they are both perfectly level.
    Are you using a locking clip on the lap only belt also? If so, it's not allowed. Locking clips are for lap/shoulder belt combinations only.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggercat View Post
    Are you using a locking clip on the lap only belt also? If so, it's not allowed. Locking clips are for lap/shoulder belt combinations only.
    Nope, I'm just referring to the shoulder/lap belt. Up until a month ago, I only had one seat in my car and I had it in the middle with the lap only belt. Always got a tiny bit of tilt just from pulling the belt so tight.

Then a month ago, my sister and her son moved in so now we have two seats in the car, both outboard. It was the first time I ever installed a seat with the shoulder/lap belt and the tilt from the shoulder belt was even worse. I learned how to fix that from lurking here though.
    Carly
    mom to Bram [10 years/32lbs/41" - BT 3-in-1 & Nauti]
    ...and TTC an excuse to buy a new seat since 2/2013

Quote Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
    Nope, I'm just referring to the shoulder/lap belt. Up until a month ago, I only had one seat in my car and I had it in the middle with the lap only belt. Always got a tiny bit of tilt just from pulling the belt so tight.

Then a month ago, my sister and her son moved in so now we have two seats in the car, both outboard. It was the first time I ever installed a seat with the shoulder/lap belt and the tilt from the shoulder belt was even worse. I learned how to fix that from lurking here though.
    Just double checking!

Bahaha, man that's quite a tip.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with the clip. It's just harder to use. But if you know how to use it and it works, stick with it.