Question Keeping EFTA knob from rubbing hole in seat

Mommy0608

The harness adjustment knob on Jessica's EFTA is ripping a hole in the fabric of the vehicle seat back. It's not fully through the fabric yet but it has worn down a big patch where the knob rubs on the fabric. Does anyone have a trick for keeping this from happening (or preventing it from getting worse at least)? I don't care so much because we'll have the car til it dies, but DH is very concerned about it. My first thought was a piece of packing tape on the seat back, but then I thought maybe the tape residue would make a big mess of the fabric. Some sort of plastic might help but I don't know how to keep it there.

Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Edited to add: I suggested buying a new seat, but that didn't fly. :whistle: Oh, sorry for the typo in the title.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Re: Keeping EFTA knbb from rubbing hole in seat

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what to suggest. Duct tape likely would leave residue on the fabric, and if the fabric is wearing thin it's possible it would tear the fabric when it was taken off?

Are you able to reinstall the seat so there's a little less contact with the seatback? It takes a bit of trial and error, but I can change how the knobs hit the seatback by how I position the seat when tightening it. I use a rolled towel instead of a pool noodle because it allowed me a little more flexibility.

Do they make fabric patches that just stick on? Maybe you could check for one of those? Then it would just be the fabric patch that gets the wear.

eta: I fixed your typo for you. :)

canadiangie

All I have to say is :eek:.

We plan to drive our vehicle into the ground too, but I'd still be really upset. I'm with Trudy, can you scootch the seat out a bit to keep the knob from rubbing? What about a middle install, have you tried that (maybe the vehicle seat is more flat than the outboard position which probably curves in a bit)?

Mommy0608

I tried reinstalling it right before I posted this thread actually. I can't really get it over far enough to not hit. The sides of my vehicle seat backs curve out (if that makes sense). If the seat back was flatter on the sides I wouldn't have a problem. Putting it in the middle won't work. For one, I don't want her right next to her brother (plus I doubt it would fit next to the SS1 anyway), and two I can't get her in very well. She can't (won't?) climb in to the seat, and it's really difficult for me to get her in if she's in the middle (my knees and back just can't take it).

I was thinking maybe a patch of painters tape, since it's not very sticky, then a layer of duct tape over top of that... this way the duct tape isn't on the fabric directly. I have never heard of sticky fabric patches, but I will keep my eye out for one, that might work well.

I suppose I could try scooting it back from the bight 1/2" or so, or adding a noodle or towel (there's nothing in there right now).

Thanks for the tips (and for fixing my typo)!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
If the seat is already installed properly, I'd just fold a washcloth and put it between the knob and the vehicle seat back... that will stop it rubbing through the vehicle seat back and won't affect your already properly installed seat.

canadiangie

Oh geez Jenny, I didn't even notice the little man in your siggie! I've always, and I mean Always, just looked at your siggie pic and assumed you had just one little girl! Man am I an idiot sometimes. Obviously a EFTA and SS1 would be a tight squeeze sbs! I do think the painter's tape with duct tape overtop would work though.. that's a great idea. :thumbsup:

canadiangie

If the seat is already installed properly, I'd just fold a washcloth and put it between the knob and the vehicle seat back... that will stop it rubbing through the vehicle seat back and won't affect your already properly installed seat.

My dd would have that wash cloth ripped out so fast... ;)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
My dd would have that wash cloth ripped out so fast... ;)

If she's in there tight (and I know you do :D), then she shouldn't be able to reach it, too low on the seat out front... at least mine could never reach the knobs on our EFT.

canadiangie

Not when she's in the seat, like when she's about to get in the seat, waiting for me to put her in, or otherwise not Pinned Down in her seat. I guess I'd worry that she'd pull that cloth out a few times, and my vehicle seat would be even more worn. :shrug-shoulders:

Only the OP knows the personality of her kids... wouldn't work with my crew, but could work for her's.

Mommy0608

That could work, but I know she'd pull it out before getting in her seat. Anything that looks out of place to her is a major distraction and she must "fix" it. :rolleyes: For some people though, this could be a great solution! Thanks!

Of course, tape would look out of place too but shouldn't be as easy for her to remove. Hopefully the gray duct tape over the painters tape will blend in enough with my gray interior that it won't bother her too much.

Oh geez Jenny, I didn't even notice the little man in your siggie! I've always, and I mean Always, just looked at your siggie pic and assumed you had just one little girl! Man am I an idiot sometimes. Obviously a EFTA and SS1 would be a tight squeeze sbs! I do think the painter's tape with duct tape overtop would work though.. that's a great idea. :thumbsup:

Haha, that's okay! :p One of these days I will get a pic of them both in the car to put up. The current pic was taken not long before Ty was born.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Not to hijack further...but neither did I, lol... though her screename IS a clue and I subconciously registered that there were 2 kiddos :D

Ok, anyway...hope you find something that keeps that from being a worse problem... I always knew those knobs might jam in there, but I never figured them for causing damage. I almost wonder if a call to Evenflo is in order so they can get some feedback from the field?

Mommy0608

Not to hijack further...but neither did I, lol... though her screename IS a clue and I subconciously registered that there were 2 kiddos :D

Ok, anyway...hope you find something that keeps that from being a worse problem... I always knew those knobs might jam in there, but I never figured them for causing damage. I almost wonder if a call to Evenflo is in order so they can get some feedback from the field?

Oh man, I really need to get a picture of Ty up! :D The numbers in my username are for their birth months (or years I suppose since they are the same).

I'll take a picture of the damage and post it. We're heading out of town for the weekend though so it'll be a few days, but I will post it for everyone to see, and email it to Evenflo also. That's a good idea, I never thought to contact them about it, thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC