Friend's 2 yr old in Booster? Links please...

jillianrose

An acquaintance of mine just had a baby so she moved her two year old (who weighs 30 lbs.) into a booster so she could fit the infant carseat in the middle between the two boosters (she has a 5 yr. old too). We're not close friends so I don't how to approach this with her. She thinks it's fine because the 2 yr. old is 30 lbs. She's a really good mom, just uninformed.

Anyway, I have her email and would like to send her some links that show why her daughter should be in a convertible carseat versus a booster. Can you help? Thanks.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The following is posted in the Articles, Reviews, FAQs area of the forum -- click the blue arrow next to my screen name below to view the whole post or visit HERE :)

1. Does your child meet the weight, height and age requirements?
  2. Can your child remain properly positioned for the entire length of every ride, never leaning out of position?
  3. Will your child leave the seatbelt properly positioned flat across the collar bone and hips/thighs?

Crash test comparisons:
Frontal impact = Harnessed vs. Booster
Side impact = Harnessed vs. Booster

• Advantages to Extended Harnessing include:
    • Limits head excursion (forward movement) during a crash, thus reducing the risk of brain + spine injury
    • Spreads crash forces out over a broader area of the body at all of its strongest points
    • Keeps kids properly positioned much more reliably
    • Helps prevent backseat bickering between siblings (thus reducing driver distraction)
Click these images to view videos:​
GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

jillianrose

Thank you very much. I will send her these links and hope she will move her little one back into a five point harness.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Also, on the convenience end, it will be easier to install a harnessed seat once than to buckle a booster every time.

Exactly, plus many kids find it easier to buckle themselves into a harness because it's in front of the body ... rather than tipping sideways to find the buckle which is often around & behind & underneath the booster.

jillianrose

Yes, I agree totally. I just reluctantly moved my five yr old to a booster (Britax Bodyguard) because I simply cannot install her Radian correctly using seatbelt. She is 40 lbs now. I loved the Radian, and it was great that she could buckle and unbuckle herself. I'm so frustrated. The Radian is so impossible without latch.

Thanks for your help.

Kat_Momof3

and if she's adament about the space situation, try showing her the safeguard go... it would harness the 2yr old till he's ready for a booster, and then the 5yr old (who would be at least 7-8 by that time) could use it backless and give his highback booster to the 2yr old.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Yes, I agree totally. I just reluctantly moved my five yr old to a booster (Britax Bodyguard) because I simply cannot install her Radian correctly using seatbelt. She is 40 lbs now. I loved the Radian, and it was great that she could buckle and unbuckle herself. I'm so frustrated. The Radian is so impossible without latch.

Thanks for your help.

You can use LATCH to 48 lbs on the Radian but you do need to stop using the SafeStop. You may still be okay with the Radian. What vehicle do you have?

miraclebabies

This is so sad, it is crazy how people do more things for convience than there childs safety. I have a friend that is doing the same thing. She has a DD that just turned 3 in Jan and since she hit 30# they put her in a highback booster and a reg. booster with a seat belt. I tell her all the time that her DD is way to small and she says well she likes it and feels so grown up... I hope nothing happens but I have tried.

jillianrose

Can someone tell me how to quote previous posters? When I click on quote it brings up the entire post....how do I select just the part I want to quote?

Regarding the Safeguard Go....Thanks, I'll mention that to her. I don't think she can afford to spend a fortune on a new seat, so that's helpful.

Regarding the latch limit for the Radian. I drive a Ford Explorer and was told by the dealership that the limit is 40 lbs. I wish it was 48 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC