Special needs question...

Shaunam

If you have a ff'ing child with low tone who slumps, and there's space between the child's body and the crotch strap, can you put a rolled towel there like you would with a tiny baby?

This is NOT about DD, so don't freak. :p

Thanks.

ADS

Murphy's Law

Well, I will let other SN techs chime in too, but most of what we learned in our SN class involved a lot of "best practice" situations. If the child is too large to RF and has low tone, I might first try to get a SN seat with a crotch bolster. That should solve the problem. But for the interim? I probably would use a rolled up wash cloth if that seemed to help.

Is this a hypothetical situation or for real? How old, tall, heavy, etc. is the child?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Well best practice would be to find a seat with a tested crotch bolster, or use a seat with multiple crotch strap positions to optimize fit. Barring those options, a rolled cloth, inserted after the harness was tightened, that only fills in empty space and does not require the harness to be loosened or misdirected, will not affect the performance of the seat. (just sets a bad example)

Another solution for low tone children to prevent slumping and to improve circulation is to tuck a rolled bath towel or foam wedge under the child's knees (not under the butt)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yes, you can, also you can put rolled towels on the sides of the child, just like with a baby. You should look for a seat that allows recline for FFing, if needed.

Shaunam

This was sort of a hypothetical question. Someone was trying to figure out if they could just get by with a regent. I mentioned the lack of head support and the space between the body and crotch strap being a problem. The thing about the traveller is the pommel doesn't go between the body and the strap does it? It looks like it goes outside the strap and then what is the point? Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong...

Anyway I think they have to pay out of pocket. Almost everyone recommended the traveller anyway because of the head support. I was curious about the towel thing because someone asked specifically about it and I didn't know the answer.

Thanks for clearing it up for me! :D

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, they may very well be able to get away with the Regent. I just lent my Regent to a boy with CP. His legs don't scissor, so he doesn't need a pummel.

Shaunam

Well, they may very well be able to get away with the Regent. I just lent my Regent to a boy with CP. His legs don't scissor, so he doesn't need a pummel.

I'm not positive, but I believe this child needs total support. Definitely, if the kid has good head control, I'd say try the regent first. Aside from the headrest and the pommel, there's no real difference in support right?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, no difference in support. The Roosevelt can be used with a velcro cap that helps hold the head back. Just wondering, how old is the child now?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC