Peg Perego

Pixels

So I was reading the Peg Perego manual today, and saw a few interesting things.
All assembly must be performed by an adult
Seriously, they had to put that in there.
If your vehicle has lower anchors, use those to secure the car seat instead of the standard seat belt.
Because LATCH is safer, right? :rolleyes: Even if it means borrowing center LATCH on a vehicle that doesn't allow it, or installing outboard instead of center seatbelt. :rolleyes:
The top of the infant head should not exceed the top of the seat back.
with a matching diagram that shows the top of the head even with the top of the seat back. So on this seat, the 1" of hard shell rule doesn't apply?

I'm also not seeing anything about taking out the head cushions, only the lower ones. A grandmother told me that it would be coming out soon, as baby was getting snug in there (with the BundleMe, too - I told her it's not safe). But she's just "I do as I'm told" grandma, so maybe she was misinformed, and thought that both the lower cushions and head cushions were coming out, but mom/dad only meant the lower ones. Or am I missing something in the manual, and the head support is supposed to come out at some point?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The one inch rule is an Evenflo invention that advocates have chosen to..well..advocate. The AAP just says 'head below the top of the seatback', and a few mfrs have started putting the one inch rule in their seats, but not all of them... Peg's not exactly on the cutting edge, so I wouldn't expect more from them :rolleyes:

LOL about adult assembly :D (I'm imagining one of those talking babies from the commercials putting it together for himself, lol).

(Is there even a head support besides the headwings? Those are structurally attached and ain't goin' nowhere).

Pixels

Ugh. The cover of the manual says "Istructions for use." Yeah, that makes me want to trust them with my baby's life.

There are instructions in the manual for removing the headwings (the head cushions I've been referring to). It takes a screwdriver, and it's in the section about how to remove the cover to wash it. So it can be done. I'm thinking grandma was either misinformed, or just plain wrong that you're supposed (or allowed) to take them out.

So what does the tech cirriculum say about when a RFing seat is outgrown by height? Is it strictly a follow-the-manual stance, or are techs taught the one inch rule?

I'm more comfortable with one inch, than even with. In crash-test footage, baby always ramps up at least that much. And in real vehicles (as opposed to test benches), there's something just above the top of the RFing seat almost always. I'm glad that littleD is in the center of both vehicles, which means nothing above her head. Besides, she's not going to ramp out of her Radian :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I haven't seen the new curriculum, but I've gotten the sense from an instructor or two that I know (I hope they chime in and correct me if I need it!) that they follow the individual manuals...right down to measuring a kid to see if they need to come out of the seat. One inch sure is easiest to convey to a parent, though, and is some insurance against the loose straps and installs that everyone does (and that cause the risk of head injury to rf kids to be surprisingly high.... http://carseatblog.com/?p=34 )

So you have to unscrew things to get the cover off for washing... ah...yet another reason I'm glad Pegs aren't being sold right now at BRU (or maybe ever again after they were recalled that last time...I can hope, lol).

Pixels

Unscrew things, plus take parts off all over the place. It looked like there was a cover on the belt guides, and around the crotch strap hole that had to come off too (yes, you had to take the harness out, and the crotch strap out). That worried me because what if those belt guide covers are structural, not just cosmetic? Eventually you know someone is going to lose/break one, and assume that it's just cosmetic ... you know where I'm going with this.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Re: the LATCH thing...no, it's not because they think LATCH is safer, it's because they know their seats are a PITA to install with the seatbelt. They really do recommend LATCH over the belt for that reason. (And, in a way, that does make LATCH safer, at least in this case.)

Even when you get a Peg in with the belt, it loosens if you sneeze on it away from the belt path.

I didn't know the headwings could come off.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Does FMVSS have the same wording requirements as CMVSS in regards to LATCH? Our manuals are basically worded in a way that conveys the same thing - if LATCH is available, use it. And that's not a manufacturer specific thing, it's due to the required wording of the manuals. Much of the wording of the manuals is pre-determined when it comes to warnings...

I agree that the Peg seats really are best for LATCH installs. It's the only seat I consistently see that is incompatible with the seatbelt for the exact same reason across multiple makes and models of vehicles.

LATCH install OTOH is a complete breeze.

I had no idea that removing the cover to wash it was that complicated. Yet another reason for me to think they're not worth $300. Makes the $250 price tag of the Keyfit in Canada seem like a bargain. :p

Pixels

Does FMVSS have the same wording requirements as CMVSS in regards to LATCH? Our manuals are basically worded in a way that conveys the same thing - if LATCH is available, use it. And that's not a manufacturer specific thing, it's due to the required wording of the manuals. Much of the wording of the manuals is pre-determined when it comes to warnings...
I don't believe that is a required wording. It's only in there that way once. Several other places, it does say you can use LATCH or seatbelt, suggesting LATCH but not wording it so it's required whenever available (like it is in the quote above).

snowbird25ca

Re-reading the quote it may be more intended to point out that you can't use both at the same time?

This is a quote from the Decathlon manual, though I'm sure it's identical between all of them. (US manual)

Secure this child seat with vehicle’s child seat Lower Anchors
and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system if available or with a
vehicle belt

That could be interpreted the same way depending on how you read it.

At any rate, I don't read it as you must use LATCH if your vehicle has it and would be fine with doing a seatbelt install in a non-LATCH position if a good install could be achieved there...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
FYI, the LATCH Manual also mentions Peg's preference for using LATCH instead of the seatbelt. (I think the SafetyBeltSafe "summary sheets" mention it also, though I'm not positive.)

Mommy0608

So what does the tech cirriculum say about when a RFing seat is outgrown by height? Is it strictly a follow-the-manual stance, or are techs taught the one inch rule?

Page 125, in the rear-facing infant-only CR section:
* Do not use the rear-facing seat above the weight or height limits designated by the manufacturer. Once child outgrows seat move to a rear-facing convertible seat with a higher weight rating.
* The top of the child's head should be well contained within the shell (unless the manufacturer's instructions state otherwise) not less than 1 inch from top of shell.

Page 126, in the rear-facing convertible CR section:
* Always check the CR manufacturer's instructions for upper and lower weight/height limits.

In the little box above that, it says:
* Use rear-facing position to the highest weight/height allowed by the CR manufacturer's instructions

canadiangie

I danced with a Peg a few weeks ago in an Envoy. When the seat came in it was installed with UAS/LATCH in the middle (Trudy, do I get a cookie for using the term UAS? :p), and it was nightmarish to use the seatbelt. What an itty bitty belt path, and such a narrow base. For me to get the belt re-fastened with the locking clip on, I actually had to turn the angle dial to lower the base, re-buckle, then turn the dial again to bump the base back up to where it needed to be. There was no way I could get the seatbelt rebuckled w/o doing that. No amount of leverage in the free universe would have helped. (and lemme tell you, my booty offers some leverage these days ;))

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I never removed the SIP wings when I changed the covers on my Peg seat. I just finagled the cover over and around the wings...kind of like you do when removing the cover on a BV.

snowbird25ca

I danced with a Peg a few weeks ago in an Envoy. When the seat came in it was installed with UAS/LATCH in the middle (Trudy, do I get a cookie for using the term UAS? :p), and it was nightmarish to use the seatbelt. What an itty bitty belt path, and such a narrow base. For me to get the belt re-fastened with the locking clip on, I actually had to turn the angle dial to lower the base, re-buckle, then turn the dial again to bump the base back up to where it needed to be. There was no way I could get the seatbelt rebuckled w/o doing that. No amount of leverage in the free universe would have helped. (and lemme tell you, my booty offers some leverage these days ;))

:p Let me know if you're ever passing through Edmonton and I'll bake up some cookies just for you. ;)

Pixels

Page 125, in the rear-facing infant-only CR section:
* Do not use the rear-facing seat above the weight or height limits designated by the manufacturer. Once child outgrows seat move to a rear-facing convertible seat with a higher weight rating.
* The top of the child's head should be well contained within the shell (unless the manufacturer's instructions state otherwise) not less than 1 inch from top of shell.

Page 126, in the rear-facing convertible CR section:
* Always check the CR manufacturer's instructions for upper and lower weight/height limits.

In the little box above that, it says:
* Use rear-facing position to the highest weight/height allowed by the CR manufacturer's instructions
Interesting. So for buckets, it's a combination follow-the-manual AND one-inch rule, unless the manufacturer states otherwise. But for convertibles, it's just follow the manual. I wonder if leaving the one inch rule out of the convertible section was oversight, or if it's not as important (convertibles tend to get lower downward rotation numbers, although a convertible that rotates 68* passes just as much as a bucket that rotates 60*), or if for some reason they're assuming that no child would go over the one inch rule in a convertible.

Good to know that the curriculum officially says ERFing to seat limits, too.

Mommy0608

Yeah it's a little cloudy. I'm wondering if the 1" rule mentioned in the infant-only section is supposed to apply to all RF seats...? I stick to the 1" rule when talking to parents though, regardless of whether it's an infant-only or a convertible. Of course, I always tell them to follow the manual, but I mention the difference in child sizes (long torso vs. long legs) and let them decide, but I instruct them never to let the child's head get less than 1" from the top of the shell (unless manual says otherwise).

I was happy to see ERF in the manual as well, and all the instructors for my course were pro-ERF too! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

lovemyfamily

I am in the minority here because, other than it being heavy, I really liked our Peg infant seat. We had a GREAT solid lapbelt install with it, only used it one time with LATCH and that was easy too. No complaints, other than 1. I bought the seat from a friend (trusted not been in a crash) and I decided I wanted to wash the cover. The seat was a 2005. I removed as instructed and while I was trying to put the cover back on the foam, that was in a few pieces, the top part of one of the wings, SNAPPED right in half! :eek: Imagine my horror when I am 2 weeks from my EDD and the seat is damaged. I called Peg who told me that I could tape it to use, should the new piece not arrive in time. :eek: But I ordered a new foam, that was now all in 1 piece, so you can remove it, pretty easily now, to wash etc. $40 plus shipping on that too.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
For me to get the belt re-fastened with the locking clip on, I actually had to turn the angle dial to lower the base, re-buckle, then turn the dial again to bump the base back up to where it needed to be.

That's one of my favorite tricks! I used to do it with the old SR base too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC