Question Tightening True Fit harness

U

Unregistered

My TF is installed rf in a 07 Vibe. Since the carseat is so tight against the backseat I spent about 15 min fighting with it to loosen the harness straps. I finally figured out how to do it, my one finger is just long enough to reach the harness release, but I have to come at it at an angle otherwise it won't release.
Now my problem is getting the harness straps tight enough. I find that as I am pulling the strap to tighten, the strap is lifting up on the harness release button and maybe preventing me from getting the harness as tight as I would like (I can't pinch the straps enough to double it up, but I am just used to having the straps tighter than what I am getting with this seat). If it is possible to tighten a harness too much I am probably guilty of that... I tell my daughter all the time "Tight is safe".
My daughter is 25 months and 29 lb, I bought this seat to keep her rear facing as long as possible. But now I am worried that she is not secure enough rfing in this seat and would be better off properly secured but forward facing.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Do you have enough room to install the seat at a slightly more reclined angle? Not changing it drastically, but just a bit, which might help with the tightening? As for the loosening, instead of reaching all the way down to the bottom of the lever, press on the top curved part of the lever. It's harder to do at first, but once you get used to it, it's easier than reaching down to the bottom of the lever.

Others just don't loosen the harness every time. Because it's a continuous harness, you can slip one arm in, then pull the either side loose (which will overtighten the first side) enough to get the other arm in, and then pull on the overtight side to even it out. I'm a loosener and so is DH, so this solution didn't work for us, but lots of other people are happy with it. (in fact, there are lots of people who don't loosen the harness on any seat they have! Not just the True Fit.)

canmom

Welcome! The truefit has a continuous harness (under the childs bum) so you can pull the harness from side to side giving more slack to one side. With her out of the seat, pull up on one harness and the other side will tighten up, and vice versa. What I do with mine is I leave it set tight and then use the continuous harness to get them in an out easier (no losening).... this way you don't have to fight with it everyday!

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the quick replies.

We might have a little room for more recline, but not much. We will give it a try though.
I have read about not loosening the harness, I just need to figure out how that works for myself. But I guess first I need to get it tight enough. I suppose things will get a little easier when we have some warmer weather and we don't need to wear coats anymore (btw we don't wear heavy coats in the car, just a hoodie with a water proof shell).
I just wish First Years had done some better testing with this seat rear facing before deciding it was a good idea to put the harness release so low!!

APmama2MAK

Welcome! The truefit has a continuous harness (under the childs bum) so you can pull the harness from side to side giving more slack to one side. With her out of the seat, pull up on one harness and the other side will tighten up, and vice versa. What I do with mine is I leave it set tight and then use the continuous harness to get them in an out easier (no losening).... this way you don't have to fight with it everyday!
Also, this is helpful if you tighten it when wearing one layer, and you are curious if that extra layer of fleece/hoodie is too thick. Im looking forward to the continuous harness in the TF :D

sparkyd

For tightening you can try pulling on the harness from the back then pulling out the slack with the strap in the front.

I agree that the placement of the adjuster was a bit of a brain fart on their part. But other than that it's a great seat.

canmom

I also have found with most seats, it is easier for me to tighten them if I do up the chest clip but leave the crotch buckle undone... once I think it is tight, I do up the crotch portion and test it for tightness.

K's Mama

Probably the easiest way to do it is to uninstall the seat, put your child in, tighten the straps to where you want them and then reinstall the seat and just use the pulling of the harness to get him in and out in future - that's how we did my DD's.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC